Help please, not drinking water.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christiaan

Reaction score
So I know bunnies drink a lot of water. But for some reason gunnies for the last 2 days has only drank about 1/4 of the water he usually drinks. He's a 9 month old loinhead. I'm getting kinda nervous and worried. He's still eating and playing completely normal so I'm kinda at a lose. I also haven't added anything new to his diet. The only thing that has changed that I can think of is the weather got cold 2 days ago. At least for Miami. Was in the 50's. I know there's critical care if your bunny stops eating. Not sure about one for not drinking water. Thank you in advanced.

Does he drink from a bottle, and if so have you checked to see if it is working normally and that the water flow is good? If he drinks from a water dish, how many ounces do you think he normally drinks in a day?

He drinks from a bowl. I never let it go empty so hard to tell exactly how much he drinks a day. But usually I have to top it off twice a day. I put a couple pieces of raspberries in the water today and he drank a little more after I did that. Yeah he's eating normal. Pellets, hay, veggies. Behavior seems the same as well. That's what confusing me. Everything else is normal. I did just read that they will drink what they need so I'm just hoping he's not needing as much water these last couple days.

My experience is that if your rabbit is eating green leafy vegetables, it is possible for them to get all the water they need from the veggies. Bunny poops are very dry, and they will excrete only tiny bits of water in their poops. My experience with my last bunny was that with an all diet of green leafy vegetables, she wouldn't drink water at all.

Unfortunately, my current Flemmish baby girls don't provide much help for a basis of advice about eating and drinking. They eat copious veggies, pellets, fruit treats, cardboard boxes, paper bags, wood chewies, etc. and drink water....every thing just goes down the hatch. They are are growing!

In many ways, rabbits are very robust and hardy. However, with personal, very sad, experience with rabbit eating, is that they are also very fragile, and I'd guess that also with drinking water ...they can be fragile also.(?) I'd say take your bunny to the vet and have a blood test. This will quickly tell if bunny is dehydrated.
Even here is the Los Angeles metropolitan area, there are relatively few rabbit vets. My experience is that you should establish a rappoire with two rabbit vets. When bunny gets sick, you don't want to have the problem where your bunny doctor is unavailable...have a back-up doctor. If your rabbit has not eaten for 12 hours (18 hours?), it's a medical emergency and you need to see a rabbit vet...and if your vet is not available, you need a second vet to call.

Last edited:
If you are worried about him, then I suggest either take him to the vets to be checked out or syringe him the water carefully, so you know that he has something to drink

Latest posts

Back