Help my rabbit wont eat hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varanzmaj

Reaction score
Our rabbit used to be healthy and had a regular diet that included a lot of hay, unfortunately due to some issues with our living arrangements we had to give him to my GFs parents for a while until we sorted this out. During this time (about two years) my inlaws spoiled him, gave him too much veggies and greens and he stopped eating hay. This led to some serious health issues. Luckily we managed to nurse him back to health, and he is back with us and is back on a strict diet of only very expensive and specific rabbit fodder. However, he still refuses to eat hay. Im really worried about this, most of all because of his teeth. How do I get him to eat hay again? Ive tried three different brands, placed it in feeders, specific home made toys but he ignores it all. Any ideas, some help would be appreciated.

Ive tried hiding treats in the hay, he still ignores it. However I havent tried fresh banana or any fresh fruit or greens. Im afraid to give him fresh fodder, as this is exactly the diet that led to him ignoring his hay in the first place.

You could try to dampen a small amount of hay and offer him. Just remove it after a few hours so it doesn't start to mold. Be persistent with offering hay in different ways. What sometimes works to get them try something is making munching motion with my hand and ignoring them, greedy little thinks somethimes think they need to try it too.

Also, I would cut back on the rich stuff.

What types of hay have you tried? Timothy? Orchard? Also 1st,2nd, or 3rd cut? If using Timothy hay 1st cut is more like sticks and hard for lack of a better word, it's great for teeth but not the most flavorful hay. 3rd cut is super grassy, almost no hard "sticks" in it and is the sweetest. 2nd cut is in the middle. Good luck :)

Get him to a good rabbit vet for a thorough dental check-up first. It is quite possible he has developed spurs (due to lack of hay) which make it painful to eat hay. Once teeth are checked/sorted out, get several types of grass hay and cut way down on any other foods you give him. Not more than 1 tbsp pellets a day. Also, try fresh grass if you can. He may be more receptive to hay once he eats the grass.

He has had the spurs removed just the othet day. Naturally the reason for the spurs was, that he doesnt eat hay. Thanks for the suggestions Diana, but if I remove his pellets he just stops eating, and his GI shuts down. (No poop, or very runny poop) I have to wean him off, cold turkey wont cut it, he will simply stop eating. But for that to be a possibility I have to make hay attractive for him again, so that at least he tries it. This is frustrating beyond belief, not to mention painful, I am 100% sure that he wont make it if he doesnt start eating hay again soon.

Try offering more than one types of hay - my rabbits are particularly fond of oat hay and orchard grass. A lot of companies also do taster boxes with multiple types and cuts nowadays. You could also try sprinkling forage or dried herbs in his hay to make hay eating more fun

Try hay in cardboard toilet paper rolls/paper towel rolls and play with him with it. Maybe try offering critical care in a dish or syringe feed as he may they develop a liking to Timothy Hay. They have papaya and apple and banana flavor and plain. Try all types of hay. Even a small amout of alfalfa if you have to.

Latest posts

Back