help! litter is so expensive.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBIT#1

Reaction score
what kind of litter do you use? the litter thatI am using is 6.00 for 4 litter changes. What litter would be lessexspensive? I am using critterlitter right now.

Also, could I use any alternatives

thanks

RABBIT#1

I just go to the tack and feed place near me andask them for their "wood pellet horse stall bedding". It'sthe perfect thing for bunny litter! It comes in a HUGE (itsays 30litre) bag, and I get it for just about $6!! Comparedto store-bought litter, that's GREAT! The litter lasts meabout a month, too. :)

Check it out!

Here's a picture of our litter, in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Fits about half the bag.

40e0hh5.jpg

Whatever wood pellet horse stall bedding they have should be just dandy for the litter, but JimD did make a list in this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13659&forum_id=1

Enjoy!

Rosie*

P.S. I don't have to break down the pellets, or do anythingspecial, either. I just put a couple handfulls in thelitterbox (we use small kitty litter boxes, like the size they have forkittens), just enough to fill the bottom and a tiny bit more.I put hay on top for Flower, and just leave the litter by itself forMaisie (she won't stand for even a STRAND of hay to fall in herlitterbox). It's so much better, and absorbs so much betterthan any other litter I've tried! :)

30 litres is about 25.5 pounds in this case, asindicated on my bag of Woody Pet litter. (a litre is a measure ofvolume, not weight, so how much a litre of a substance weighs dependson the substance,).

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to convert that into lbs...:)

Definately use a wood pellet litter. Ihaven't seen Woody Pet in my area (I'm not too far from you).The two brands I've seen are Marth and ABM (Advanced BeddingManagement). I like ABM better, but they both work.They're both about $5 for a huge bag. You'll find them atfeed stores like the Saukville feed store, etc.

Latest posts

Back