HELP, is something wrong with my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbyp1001

Reaction score
We noticed today that there is some cracking or something going on underneath my rabbit’s fur. He hasn’t really been acting that abnormally, but we have seen him itching himself more. He eats regular amounts of Timothy hay, pellets, leafy greens, and some vitamin cookies that are also made of Timothy hay. We saw some white flaking from his fur and we thought at first he had gotten something stuck to him until we saw that cracking spot. It is isolated only to that spot. Is it mites or something else? Should we buy cream or shampoo or anything? We will visit a vet soon, but appointments are hard to make, so what should we do in the mean time? We are kind of freaking out, sorry.

Attachments

• 8E76B19F-88CB-4DA4-B2CF-4286C37ACAEB.jpeg
    8E76B19F-88CB-4DA4-B2CF-4286C37ACAEB.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2C733646-70CB-4F8C-A5E1-F0928D324337.jpeg
    2C733646-70CB-4F8C-A5E1-F0928D324337.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 10
That's weird, I'd definitely get a vet appointment. Sort of looks like Demodex mites (Not an emergency, certainly needs treatment) although I am only comfortable identifying that in dogs which any degree of accuracy.
@JBun

That's weird, I'd definitely get a vet appointment. Sort of looks like Demodex mites (Not an emergency, certainly needs treatment) although I am only comfortable identifying that in dogs which any degree of accuracy.
@JBun

Thank you so much, will definitely keep that in mind! Do you think we can do anything as of now?

Thank you so much, will definitely keep that in mind! Do you think we can do anything as of now?
Rabbits really shouldn't be washed without a really, really good reason (As in discuss with a rabbit savvy vet and read up on to prevent the host of health problems that could develop). If I were you, I'd groom the spot with a flea comb to gently remove any dead skin and get a better look at the spot then dampen a cloth with Hydrogen Peroxide and gently clean the area. Where on her body is the weird spot located?

Rabbits really shouldn't be washed without a really, really good reason (As in discuss with a rabbit savvy vet and read up on to prevent the host of health problems that could develop). If I were you, I'd groom the spot with a flea comb to gently remove any dead skin and get a better look at the spot then dampen a cloth with Hydrogen Peroxide and gently clean the area. Where on her body is the weird spot located?

Thank you for the great advice! We actually don’t bathe him, but I did see on one article that there are some special anti-parasitic shampoos out there. The spot is a few inches from his head, on his back.

Thank you for the great advice! We actually don’t bathe him, but I did see on one article that there are some special anti-parasitic shampoos out there. The spot is a few inches from his head, on his back.
I don't think you're washing the little dude, but it is very tempting given what you see! If a good vet recommends it and prescribes you a rabbit approved anti-parasite shampoo then that may be the only course of action, however it may not be parasites and be something else, so get in touch with a vet before taking any big steps. I'm relatively anxious about a few anti-parasite treatments, as rabbits can have very adverse reactions! Good luck!

No, do not wash, even with antiparasitic shampoo, unless instructed by an experienced rabbit vet to do so (which most rarely would). These shampoos aren't likely approved for rabbits and some can actually be toxic.

If you can get a better look to determine what it is on the skin that would help. White flaking can be mites, black flecks is likely fleas, scaly skin could be mites or something else.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasite/Parasites_main.htm

No, do not wash, even with antiparasitic shampoo, unless instructed by an experienced rabbit vet to do so (which most rarely would). These shampoos aren't likely approved for rabbits and some can actually be toxic.

If you can get a better look to determine what it is on the skin that would help. White flaking can be mites, black flecks is likely fleas, scaly skin could be mites or something else.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasite/Parasites_main.htm

We will definitely not shampoo him then!

At a close look it just looks like white flaking, almost as if there is some kind of dried flour stuck to his skin. I’m not sure if it’s scaly? I think it’s just flaking. We are taking him to the vet soon. Do you think these mites are infectious? Just checking since we have kids who pet him a lot.

We will definitely not shampoo him then!

At a close look it just looks like white flaking, almost as if there is some kind of dried flour stuck to his skin. I’m not sure if it’s scaly? I think it’s just flaking. We are taking him to the vet soon. Do you think these mites are infectious? Just checking since we have kids who pet him a lot.

I very highly doubt they are contagious! If it is mites, then it's probably of the Demodex variety, which is not contagious to anyone, rabbit or person, and is much more common than the Sarcoptic variety, which is contagious, although Sarcoptic does specialize by species and generally cannot infest other species. Demodex doesn't typically bother an animal too much, just flaky and looks bad, maybe a little irritating, while Sarcoptic is EXTREMELY irritating and you would notice excessive grooming behavior, which you haven't described.

It also may not be mites at all! Long story short, people probably can't get whatever it is from rabbits, and if it is mites, it is probably Demodex, which is the most common in young animals.

Latest posts

Back