Help if Possible Please(RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissBinky

Reaction score
I let Annabel out to play and noticed a severe poopy butt. I checked and there is diarrhea in the cage. Not cecals, not soft poop... It's diarrhea. While checking her butt I also noticed a small amount of mucuous.

Normally this bunny should be rushed in to the vet's... I'd be doing that but of course, there is no exotic vet available and, as usual, they refuse to administer any sort of treatment.

I had pedialyte on hand so I gave her some. She drank some on her own. She's alert and she seems fine so hopefully I caught it quickly enough. I was out shopping so it could have been a few hours, I don't know. I'm thinking of boiling some rice and giving her the water to try and solidify her poops. She doesn't feel cold...

Anything else I should be thinking of?

I'm not an infirmary mod - but the mucous is what has me concerned. I'd say give her canned pumpkin (not the pie mix...just plain pumpkin) to help with this but that doesn't take care of what is causing it.....

I'm hoping an infirmary mod who knows more will pop in and answer this...

We don't have canned pumpkin here. I looked and looked and haven't found any. It worries me too.

Do you think the diarrhea is a result of the mucuous (I'm not sure if mucuous automatically means enteritis?) or the other way around? Earliest vet appointment is tomorrow evening :?

She has been having some veggie issues off and on lately. I had those greatly reduced. My mil did give her some celery yesterday but she only had a small stick. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused it or something in the water caused it as I've been having issues lately myself. What do you think?

The mucous and diarrhea oftentimes indicates an overgrowth of clostridium, however it may not be that.

Do you have a probiotic like benebac ?
If so I would give some of that. I wouldn't give too much pedialyte becaue of the sugar content but if you can dilute it with water it should be OK.

i would place the bun on hay and nothing else until you can get to a vet.
I am thinking it could have been the celery also.
i really wouldn't even feed pumpkin

just keep up-dating us on what's going on.

Okies

Thanks Peg and Angieluv!

I've been doing that so far and she seems alright. I hope that it was the celery and it's nothingmuch more serious than that :?She's only on hay and pedialyte. :)

Hi there,

It sounds like this could be a few things, but in rabbits watery stools are caused by a decrease in intestinal motility, not an increase like in humans. It could be the water if it is contaminated but the point is that her gut is not moving well.

Does she eat hay? I would offer as much of this as possible. I would take veggies out completely and start reducing pellets gradually.

She is at high risk of getting Enteritis and Enterotoxemia. [font="Verdana,Sand,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"]http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#entero Basically the bad bacteria proleferate due to gastric imbalance and cause toxic build up/death in the rabbit. [/font][font="Verdana,Sand,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"]Cholestyramine has been proven extremely successful in preventing this, you can get it at most drug stores. It comes in a flavoured powder form that you put in the water that you are syringing. 1/8 a teaspoon is all you need, 3x a day. Here is a link to [/font][font="Verdana,Sand,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"]Cholestyramine and how it works: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Other than keeping her hydrated I don't think there is much you can do until she sees the vet. I would bring a stool sample to the vet for sure, as fresh as possible and not refrigerated. Like I said it could be from the water especially if there is a bacterial build up, or she could be having GI issues on her own. I would boil all your water from now on until the problem is found, even water used to wash dishes and veggies.

Edited to add: Often a bunny with runny stool/mucous will appear bright and healthy for a while but can quickly get lethargic and really ill- not trying to scare you but just wanted to make sure people realize that just because a rabbit appears to be fine with
[/font]diarrhoea doesn't mean it is getting better or going to go away on its own.

Keep us posted on how she is!

If you want, I can buy some cans of pumpkin and mail them to you so you can have them on hand if needed in the future. Just PM me if you want me to do that.

Ann

Also, since it's fall-time, you might be able to get some fresh pumpkin and cook it up.

I wish you had a good vet though... Get well wishes to Annabel!

Thanks everyone.

Figured it out. It's possible she had iceberg lettuce before the celery... That would explain.

I have some probiotics from the vet's so I put her on that and she's hydrated and eating hay. She has some small soft poops but they are more solid than before so hopefully in a few hours all will be good again. Thanks for the help.

Oh and for the pumpkin I really haven't seen any so far :?I'd take you up on the offer Seniorcats but I don't know how much it would cost? Postage here is pretty expensive :?Thank you for everything :)

MissBinky wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Figured it out. It's possible she had iceberg lettuce before the celery... That would explain.

I have some probiotics from the vet's so I put her on that and she's hydrated and eating hay. She has some small soft poops but they are more solid than before so hopefully in a few hours all will be good again. Thanks for the help.

Oh and for the pumpkin I really haven't seen any so far :?I'd take you up on the offer Seniorcats but I don't know how much it would cost? Postage here is pretty expensive :?Thank you for everything :)
It would be a gift for your bunnies from mine!

seniorcats wrote:
MissBinky wrote:
Thanks everyone.

It would be a gift for your bunnies from mine!
That's really sweet of you seniorcats.:)

Hey,

Sorry for not replying sooner, got busy here. (Still trying to get the housework stuff in order lol) Anyway, Annabel is doing great. She's off everything except parsley andcarrot tops. She has her hay and water and some limited pellet for now, just to be sure. I'll be going through the whole veggie introduction phase over again because I want to pinpoint any problematic veggies. Obviously, the iceberg is a no-no but it slipped past me as I wasn't paying enough attention. My bad! Thanks everyone!

Seniorcats, I think it is really sweet of you to offer to send some canned pumpkin. I'm sure it will come in handy! Thank you :)

Don't forget to send me your mailing address. I will get the pumpkin this week and let you know when I mail it.

I think oncethe can is ope, you can freeze the left overs in small batches.

Oh my gosh, how did I not see this thread before?! I can't believe my... urm, your... baby Bella was sick and I didn't know :( How is she doing now? I'm really glad that she's improved, I was about to panic there for a minute before I saw that this thread is from several days ago. Tallulah had mucousy loose stool/diarrhea (but with some blood mixed in) the day she died. So glad Annabel is doing better though and that it was probably just iceberg lettuce.

Latest posts

Back