HELP!!! I think my bunny is in GI stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess24rose

Reaction score
Today when I got home after dance my bunny was acting a bit weird but she was outside (in the cold) which she hates. I brought her inside but she's acting fine but then her poop is much smaller than normal and I read that not good heres a picture I think I attached it I don't really know how would you recommend taking her to the vet

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 4
If your rabbit was in GI stasis it would already be too late. GI stasis is fatal within hours, and is characterized by a haulting of the digestive process. No eating, no digesting, no pooping. Their limbs will also swell. An easy way to tell your rabbit is not in GI stasis, is to put your ear to their side and listen for the gurgling, which signals a functioning digestive process.

Since your rabbit was outside, did they have access to greens? Too much fresh green vegitation will cause the rabbits poop to be smaller and a little darker. Rabbits also make tiny poops when certain materials need to be re-digested. (When they need to eat their poop.) You're right that if the poop isn't for eating, the smaller poop isn't good. But it just means your rabbit needs a higher fibre (hay) diet.

For the record, if your rabbit enters GI stasis, you need to get to a vet as fast as possible, but the chances of saving a rabbit who has entered GI stasis is not good. It's why rabbit diets are so important.

Is your bunny still eating and drinking? Is she acting weird bc she just doesnt like being outside and is maybe scared without a nice place to hide? Not really sure what kind of enclosure setup you have for outdoors but that could be part of if not the main reason for your bunny's issue. The stress of predators is a constant anxiety for rabbits unless they are completely secure in their surroundings, sometimes they stay skittish their entire lives sometimes that isnt the case and they outgrow it as they grow older. Sometimes a change in diet, either new pellet or food item can change up size of their droppings temporarily as well. The important thing to do is not panic and make sure to observe your bunny to see what's really happening. Is the small one the same consistency as the large one just a smaller version? Or is it squishy and glossier and smellier? There are a lot of different things to look for when it comes to bunny droppings here is something you might find useful to read..
https://pin.it/fjygzvzsgrjk5e

Smaller poos can sometimes be an indication of GI stress (as opposed to actual stasis). Actual GI stasis typically has several warning signs. It doesn't happen all at once but a bit more gradually. Smaller poos can be an early warning sign.

If I see a rabbit with smaller poos, I keep an extra eye to see that bunny continues to eat as usual and continues to poo (even if they are smaller). If bunny starts to refuse any food (pellets, hay, greens or favored treat) , then I immediately offer simethicone (baby gas drops). That is usually enough to relieve any discomfort and get them eating again. Keeping them eating is what is important. In full blown GI stasis, the rabbit has stopped all eating and all pooping. But if he's still pooping, keep an eye on his eating. If he stops eating for 12 hours, that is the time to get to a rabbit savvy vet.

If you see his poos return to normal size and he is eating, then all is well. The following link is very informative on poos:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

If she's a good hay eater, encouraging her to eat more hay by reducing pellets and high carb foods will help improve her digestive motility, which will help get her fecal poop size back to normal. Key is her eating more hay if the other food is reduced. If she doesn't then it won't help and could further slow gut movement.

She's ok she's just really bad in cold weather because its been really hot lately and she's never been in really cold weather. I think she isn't eating enough hay and drinking enough water tho.
any tips on how to make her eat and drink more????

She's ok she's just really bad in cold weather because its been really hot lately and she's never been in really cold weather. I think she isn't eating enough hay and drinking enough water tho.
any tips on how to make her eat and drink more????

Some rabbits can be snobby eaters, mine will only eat western timothy hay, all others are clearly inferior to him. Try a different kind of rabbit friendly hay. Rabbits prefer water in a still water bowl (not a fountain)

Rabbits normally do very well in cold weather (much better than heat, actually), but this does hinge on their ability to grow the appropriate coat. When weather is extreme (either heat or cold), it can be dangerous to put an indoor rabbit outside or bring an outdoor rabbit in. Make sure there's not too big a temperature difference when you're moving her.

That said, I don't see how temperature changes would cause poop issues like you describe. As Blue eyes and JBun have said, as long as your rabbit is eating and pooping, it's not a medical emergency... however, you're right to be concerned about smaller poops. Typically, smaller poops result when a rabbit isn't getting enough indigestible fiber in their diet. Cutting back on pellets, removing treats and encouraging more hay eating is key to getting her poops back to normal (replacing her hay once or twice a day even if it hasn't been eaten can help... never mind that the stuff you pull off the bale is the same as what's in the manger, for some reason they're still more likely to eat what you've just added).

As Sharda Hartley said, some rabbits ARE a lot pickier... I have to mail order hay because mine utterly refuse to eat the Coastal hay from local feed stores. Also, rabbits DO drink more from bowls than from water bottles and hydration is also vital to a healthy GI system.

Back