Help! I can't groom my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny Vinny has never enjoyed being groomed, but he put up with it, until recently. He's started actively trying to jump off of the table while I'm brushing him. I've tried giving him hay and treats while I groom, but he's not really food motivated. I've tried building barriers out of blankets and things, but he just tosses them out of the way. He's never actually been successful at jumping off, but only because I hold him down or catch him. I'm afraid he's going to escape one day and hurt himself. Any suggestions?

Rather than making his brushing a session, so to speak, try just using your hand at different natural times you normally pet him. He doesn't need to be up on a table. If he's lounging about the house or whenever he's receptive to being pet, just use your bare hand to pet him. If your hand is damp, even more fur will come off (and of course make a mess of your hand in the process!). If he's shedding, gently pinching the loose fur between your straight fingers (with hand stretched out flat) can get some of the fur chunks off.

It all doesn't have to be done at one time either. You can sneak in a few brush strokes with a brush while he's laying on the floor and then try a couple more strokes later in the day.

This is helpful thank you! I've always done grooming in "sessions", and I have to do it that way for Bella because she doesn't like being petted, but Vinny loves it and will hunker down on the floor for as long as I'm willing to pet him.

Back