HELP!!! HOW TO DISCIPLINE A NEW BABY BUNNY?!?!?!?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
:grumpy:Hello rabbit pals!! I need some help yet again. I brought home my new flemish giant this Sunday and so far things are...okaaaaaay. I'm having one major issue. Thor is apparently a bit of a nipper/biter. He's gotten me good quite a few times. I understand that the occasional nip to see what something is, is one thing, but it's getting to be an obvious problem. How does one say "NO!!!" to a baby bunny? At first I was gently pushing his face away from whatever he was biting on and said a firm NO. But he bit me so hard one time that I did smack him ever so gently on the nose. I felt so bad!!! I know they need to learn, but is there another way? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!:pray:

you should never smack your bunny .. he will only resent you ! try a spray bottlewith water . when ever he nips/bites spray him on the ears ! he will learn quickly enough :)

Zeus likes to nip me sometimes to get my attention (a flemish giant mix) and I tried to "no" and "ouch" really loud - and I still do those.

But I do smack Zeus on the nose - with one finger or two fingers - not very hard at all - more of a light tap than a smack.

He knows he's in trouble when that happens (I usually get the butt) - but sometimes he comes running right back and nudges me for pets because he knows he did wrong.

I'm not one who believes in hitting animals - but in Zeus' case - he needs the short reminder that nipping is NOT ok.

Unfortunately - I let him get away for it for quite a while because I got him from a shelter and felt he needed extra love.

I'm finding he's doing better with the tough love...and he's much happier when he remembers his boundaries.

BUT - when he nudges me - I do give him at least one petting (usually several) because he mainly nips if he gets ignored when he tries to get my attention.

By the way - I breed flemish giants and I do this to the younger ones too before they go to a new home . They have to learn when they're small that there are certain rules because trying to stop a 14 - 17 pound rabbit from doing something they've done forever gets hard.

As I said though - I only use one or two fingers and it is more like a light tap than a smack.

When any rabbit bites you, let out a short, sharp, high-pitched squeal. That will stop most bunnies in their tracks.
Bunnies will (generally)only squeal like that when they are in pain themselves, so you will be making your exact response more clear than if you were to use physical force first.

Apart from a squeal, I would use the water gun. However, keep in mind this is a young animal who is learning to trust you. You don't want to cause it fear.

I think the squeal works - my boy Peaches was doing his love dance for me and nipped my leg - I yelled and the next time he was much gentler. (He's gonna be fixed sometime soon - the bunny dance is only cute so long as there's no humping involved)

Gus is a nipper too. He's only nipped really hard once. He nipped my son on the leg and my son burst into tears and I picked up Gus and put him in his cage and locked the door.

After a few minutes I went back and let him out.

I think he got the message, because he's never nipped that hard again.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I used the "eeek!" method with Scone when he was young, and it worked great.

He'd hop up to me on the couch and nip my arm to get my attention. I'd "eeek!" really loud, and he'd jump back. Then he'd slowly come forward and nip again, but more gently. I'd "eeek!" again... After about three times, he'd come forward with a really sheepish look on his face and kiss my arm in apology. Then I'd praise him extravagently and say "bunny kiss!".

It only took a few days of this and he learned not to nip, and he also learned the command "bunny kiss" as a bonus.

Mine did this when I first got him. I tried the screaming ouch and he would jerk back but then go back to biting me again. So the next time he did it I bit him on the ear. He didn't like that. It only took me biting his ear 2 times and he's never bitten me again.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Sorry i haven't posted for a few days but we've been busy bonding with our bun. He's still nipping at us but we realize that this is just how our little dwarf behaved in the beginning. Thor is just SOOOOO much bigger!! The only problem we are now having is getting him to use a litter box, but I think that will have to be another post...

I use the 'squeal' method. My buns eyes go like ":shock:"

My Oreo is the nipper. I tapped her on the nose one time, but it didn't have an effect.

Don't hit them though.

Latest posts

Back