Help! Floppy rabbit

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AmeliaL, Jan 17, 2020.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

  1. Jan 17, 2020 #1

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2020
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    So I adopted a rabbit Bonnie last year to be bonded with my old boy, Oscar. They were very happy and healthy for around a year before I found Oscar suddenly flopped on his side all rigid in March. I took him straight to the vets but unfortunately he had to be put to sleep. I thought this was due to old age and catching something in the garden or maybe a brain tumour until today.

    I adopted another rabbit Barney in April and bonded him with my other rabbit Bonnie no problems. They’ve been loving together happy and healthy until October time where I noticed his back legs became floppy and weak and he started to fall over. I also felt that he had lost weight although he was still eating and had a good appetite. Obviously I was hugely concerned (following what happened with Oscar) and took him straight to the vets only to be told that he was absolutely fine and maybe there was something going on before I adopted him. I wasn’t happy with this so sought another opinion from a different vet practice only to be told practically the same thing. So I took him home with some worming tablets and he seemed to perk up and I didn’t notice him falling anymore. I continued to raise that he was wobbly and that I thought he was skinnier than usual at their vaccinations and was told again that he was fine.

    This morning I found him laying on his side unable to move (like Oscar) and he was very sadly put to sleep and they told me at this point that they thought he was also very skinny (which I had been repeatedly raising!!)

    I feel that this is all connected and I’m wondering if Bonnie has something that is affecting her partners. I’ve been told that they can’t test for any parasites (I’m suspecting e. Conuculi) and that it will cost over £300 for blood tests which may tell me nothing!

    I really don’t know what to do next. I’m concerned Bonnie is going to be lonely without a friend but equally I don’t want to get another rabbit for the same thing to happen. Please let me know if you have any ideas/experiences/suggestions!

    Thanks, Amelia
     
  2. Jan 17, 2020 #2

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2019
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    67
    Location:
    United kingdom
    My rabbit had E. cuniculi , i would take your other rabbit to the vet , as if it is e.cuniculi its contagious , which could be infecting the other bunnie.
    She had a seizure , and sadly passed away.. :(
     
  3. Jan 17, 2020 #3

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2020
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply. Bonnie has been absolutely fine while living with Oscar and Barney - could she have it and show no signs? I’m wondering if she could be a carrier causing it for my other buns?
     
  4. Jan 17, 2020 #4

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2019
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    67
    Location:
    United kingdom
    I think it'd be best to just take her to the vet , better to be safe , isn't it ?
     
  5. Jan 17, 2020 #5

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    AmeliaL

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2020
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Definitely. I have her booked in on Monday anyway. I’m just not feeling very confident with the vets at the moment considering their management of Barney! Thanks anyway :)
     
  6. Jan 17, 2020 #6

    Blue eyes

    Blue eyes

    Blue eyes

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    Messages:
    6,311
    Likes Received:
    2,330
    Location:
    Arizona, USA
    Monday is quite a long time for something like this. I'd book an emergency appointment today. A rabbit savvy vet should know this can't wait. Perhaps you'll need to look around for other vets.
     
  7. Jan 17, 2020 #7

    Karrrrrrr

    Karrrrrrr

    Karrrrrrr

    New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2020
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Scotland
    Sorry I can’t seem to make my own post. Hope you don’t mind. But my rabbit had 4 kits. 1 out of the 4 is smaller think with a little help he will catch up with the other side in no time. My hutch is outside so my question is, is it safe to bring mum and kit I’m away from the 3 other kits in the nest for 10 minutes just for the runt kit to feed? I hate that word runt but just to make it clear not peanut.

    Thanks
     
  8. Jan 18, 2020 #8

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Jasminebunny

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2019
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    67
    Location:
    United kingdom
    If you could move them inside soon , i'd be happy , because i had kit rabbits outside , and they all died , all 6 of them .
    The only one who did survive was the runt .

    The kits my bun had some kits inside , in a nice big area and they are still alive !

    I don't know if its okay to do that , but i'm sure someone can help !
    https://www.mybunny.org/info/caring-for-newborn-baby-rabbits/
     

Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page

Group Builder