Help ASAP! - No poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about the ones that are smaller in size and irregular shaped? If this is from the same rabbit that had stopped pooping earlier, this is what the poops can look like when there has been a digestive upset. It can be caused by dehydration, but also a gut slowdown caused by too many sugars and/or not enough hay/fiber, can also cause this. Since your rabbit just had an upset stomach, most likely from the sudden introduction of too many sugars from the strawberry, that is most likely the cause of the gut slowdown causing the small irregular shaped fecal poop. Best thing for your rabbit right now is no sugary starchy treats for a while, until your rabbit is back to normal. You may even need to stop pellets for a few days, and feed only unlimited plain grass hay. You do need to make sure your rabbit is eating plenty of the grass hay, to make up for not getting any pellets. After a few days you should see the poop return to normal. Once that happens you can gradually reintroduce pellets, starting with a reduced amount and gradually increasing over a few days. And just keep an eye on the poop to make sure it stays normal.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have clarified better.
Mango as with all sugary treats, should be given in moderation. So with the amount of hay that should be fed in a day, if its chock full of dried mango gets the rabbit would be getting more sugar than is suggested, which isn't good.
Mango is a safe food, dried or fresh. Its just, with your child feeding your rabbit fruit then feeding him mango filled hay, thats too much sugar.

I think with the current stomach situations and the no-poop scare, I would want to stay clear of all sweets including carrots. Carrots are basically fruits with their sugar content. I would give him more hay than he usually gets, just to make sure he's getting enough fiber.

Does he drink out of a bottle or a bowl? Bowls tend to be better for drinking, the rabbits seem to get more water from a bowl.

Sorry I was unclear in my other post.

I was meaning all of them yes. They were this way
BEFORE the strawberry ( don't even know for sure
If he actually ate any) just was the only thing really
I thought of that was a sudden change. I have been giving
Reg carrots as well with lettuce and parsley twice daily.
I have stopped the carrots and went to cabbage. I gradually
Did the change today with a few pieces. Giving once daily increasing
The pellets today from 1/4 to 2/4 cups. I
Thought he should be eating more pellets
Being his poo was dark. However I was told 1/4
Was ok or about what I should be giving with the hey.
I'm using Timothy hey.

When u say plain grass hay. Where can I get this at?
Like I mentioned I'm using Timothy hey. Also, u mentioned
To stop the pellets and maybe just do the hey. I'm not
Home all day I'm just fraud taking the pellets away for now
Wouldn't be a good idea. What u think?

Timothy hay is a grass hay. I was just meaning for it to be without any added bits like mango. The problem with pellets when your rabbit is experiencing signs of a gut slowdown with the small irregular poop, is that pellets have added sugars and grains, and that can contribute to the gut slowing down and the bacterial gut flora changing. Suddenly increasing pellet amounts can also contribute to these problems. Pellet increases should always be done slowly and over 1-2 weeks time, especially with a rabbit the has shown to have a sensitive digestive system. If you don't feel comfortable stopping pellets for a few days, then you may want to reduce the amount, at least back down to the 1/4 cup or less. And you'll want to feed enough hay to last the whole day, so he isn't running out of it. If you continue to see small irregular poop after a few days on reduced pellets, you may need to reduce the amount a little bit more. I would also suggest holding off on introducing any new veggies at this time, until you get the digestive problems sorted out and his poop back to normal. Introducing new veggies into the diet of a rabbit already having digestive problems, may just further complicate things, especially with something like cabbage that is sometimes a problem veggie for some rabbits.

Ok, I will cut him back on just the 1/4 of pellets and should
I stop the veggies for now or continue the lettuce and parsley and
Cilrontro. I forgot to mention as well and I think this is where the
Color of poo comes from ( now that I think of it) was that after
Hearing on here and actually figureinv out the type of lettuce
I was giving Thumps was ice burg. I KNOW IT'S NOT GOOD TO GIVE
BUNS DO TO THE NUTRIENTS IN IT. I'm NO LONGER giving
It. Maybe I should just stop all veggies for now and start over
As I don't think I was doing it gradually enough. I was
Only doing it over a few days and as me tioned with the pellets
To do It over a week or two time spand.

This could be from a few different things.
However it's good I chase to error on the side
Of cusion.
Just a reminder. I have only given him the mango
PECIES twice. I haven't given on a daily bases. However,
I have given the hay ( no mango) JUST
the hay mixed with by Timothy hay.

There are a few reasons iceberg lettuce isn't good. It lacks nutrients, but also it can cause diarrhea in rabbits, which can lead to death. So that is a pretty important reason why it shouldn't be fed. I know that you aren't feeding it anymore, which is good.

Actually those leafy green are good and will help. I'm guessing that the lettuce you are feeding now is a dark green leafy one. As long as your rabbit is used to them and doesn't seem to be having any problems with them, like soft poop or stopping eating from an upset stomach, then it should be fine to continue to feed them. Feeding dark leafy veggies can also make a rabbits poop a little darker, but that is ok. A rabbits poop can vary in color, depending on what they are eating. The thing you don't want to see is smaller than normal, irregular poop. Hopefully reducing pellets will fix that.

There are a few reasons iceberg lettuce isn't good. It lacks nutrients, but also it can cause diarrhea in rabbits, which can lead to death. So that is a pretty important reason why it shouldn't be fed. I know that you aren't feeding it anymore, which is good.

Actually those leafy green are good and will help. I'm guessing that the lettuce you are feeding now is a dark green leafy one. As long as your rabbit is used to them and doesn't seem to be having any problems with them, like soft poop or stopping eating from an upset stomach, then it should be fine to continue to feed them. Feeding dark leafy veggies can also make a rabbits poop a little darker, but that is ok. A rabbits poop can vary in color, depending on what they are eating. The thing you don't want to see is smaller than normal, irregular poop. Hopefully reducing pellets will fix that.

K. So reducing the pellets back to 1/4 if not
Better in a few days do less. I have just switched
Him to the dark leafy greens. Spring greens to be exact.

So, this poo is ok looking? Thumps is ok
On the poo?

The poop color is ok, it's just that they are smaller than usual and irregular shaped. That isn't good. It means the gut is slowed down, and harmful bacteria can start to grow in the gut. That can lead to GI stasis and a blockage, if it isn't corrected. So that is why you need to reduce pellets. So that your rabbit will then eat more hay, which means more fiber, and less sugars and carbs from the pellets, which helps get the gut moving better and helps the poop return to normal size and shape. Make sure you are giving unlimited hay(never runs out). The hay is important to get the gut moving.

So the leafy greens ( just switched him to) parsley, and cilontro
Keep feeding as well as unlimited hay (which I have been)
And the 1/4 pellets to start less if no change.
Is that what u r saying?

No, cabbage( for now) or fruits or veggies
That contain sugar such as the carrots.

Sorry all these ?'s I haven't had a rabbit
For awhile and am semi new again to
This. Just want to make sure I understand
What to do to help Thumps get back
On track.

Yep, that sounds good. Once the poop gets back to normal for a week or so, you can start increasing pellets again, if you need to. You may not need to though. Do I remember right, that he's a dutch. So if he weighs around 4-5 lbs, 1/4-1/2 cup is the general recommended amount. So 1/4 cup may be just right for him. You'll just have to see if he can maintain his weight on that amount. Generally speaking, a good amount of pellets should be eaten in about 30 minutes, twice a day. Then the amount of hay per day, should be in volume about the size of their body. Of course that can vary some, but that's about what it averages for all of my rabbits.

Yep, that sounds good. Once the poop gets back to normal for a week or so, you can start increasing pellets again, if you need to. You may not need to though. Do I remember right, that he's a dutch. So if he weighs around 4-5 lbs, 1/4-1/2 cup is the general recommended amount. So 1/4 cup may be just right for him. You'll just have to see if he can maintain his weight on that amount. Generally speaking, a good amount of pellets should be eaten in about 30 minutes, twice a day. Then the amount of hay per day, should be in volume about the size of their body. Of course that can vary some, but that's about what it averages for all of my rabbits.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!
K, I'm just doing a 1/4 once a day. Should
I be giving pellets 1/4 twice a day?
I did notice when I went to check on him
His pellets where gone (hay was still there)
He isn't a huge pellet eater.

The 1/4 cup is per day. I like to split that up into two feedings(morning/night), but if your bun is used to just being fed once a day, that is ok too. If you want to split that up into 1/8 cup feedings, twice daily that works too. I like the twice a day feeding because it splits up the sugar and grains from the pellets, into two feedings so they aren't getting so much of it all at once.

The 1/4 cup is per day. I like to split that up into two feedings(morning/night), but if your bun is used to just being fed once a day, that is ok too. If you want to split that up into 1/8 cup feedings, twice daily that works too. I like the twice a day feeding because it splits up the sugar and grains from the pellets, into two feedings so they aren't getting so much of it all at once.

Ok I think I will do that.
With he veggies to u think?

You can split the veggies up into two feedings if you want.

Is that picture of the poop from just this one rabbit and is it all recent(from the last 24 hours)? The larger round poop looks good, but there are still a lot of smaller irregular shaped ones. Those are the ones that need to change so they almost all look like the larger round poop. Maybe splitting the pellets up into two feedings, will help.

You can split the veggies up into two feedings if you want.

Is that picture of the poop from just this one rabbit and is it all recent(from the last 24 hours)? The larger round poop looks good, but there are still a lot of smaller irregular shaped ones. Those are the ones that need to change so they almost all look like the larger round poop. Maybe splitting the pellets up into two feedings, will help.

Yes it is as I only have the one right now.
I think it's recent yes. I will clean the cage
And take pic from Clean poo and see then.

I will devise the pellets and the veggies
Into two meals and see if that helps

Latest posts

Back