Help ASAP! - No poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDrAbBiTs58041

Reaction score
I have no idea what went wrong.
I cleaned out Thumps cage today and
Noticed after he hasn't been poopn in there.

Could this because he doesn't have any poo
In there and doesn't smell his own poo?

My 10yr old gave him a strawberry and I didn't
Know it. Could this have anything to do with it?
Didn't look like he ate very much out of it but still.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to help him poo
Besides taking him to the vet?

If you just cleaned the cage today, I wouldn't be concerned yet. He may just be a little uncertain about what changed. I'd give it 24 hours before I started worrying.

If he's been eating, then the poop will inevitably come. If he isn't eating, then I'd try enticing him with something yummy like kale or parsley - once a bun starts nibbling on something, that usually gets things going.

It might be worthwhile to keep a few droppings out when you clean the litter, and then toss them in at the end, just to make sure he gets the idea. Once he gets used to your cleaning the litter periodically, it shouldn't matter.

Strawberries shouldn't be a problem. I like them, and when I have a bowl I'll give Natasha the trimmed-off tops. She's always wolfed them down with no adverse effects. I don't know that I would give her an entire berry, but they're not toxic or anything like that, just a bit more sugary than is really good for a bun.

Sometimes some rabbits won't poop much at certain times of the day. But if it's been several hours and you still aren't seeing any poop, and he also has stopped eating, he could be experiencing GI stasis, which possibly could have been caused by digestive upset from the strawberry. Is he showing any signs of being in pain, like teeth grinding, sitting hunched up for long periods of time, changing positions frequently, pressing his belly to the floor- usually with the back legs tucked under and the butt pushed up a bit, eye squinting, and/or lack of appetite? Does his belly seem firm or bloated at all?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Wow. I'am over loaded. He is sitting up with his
Feet all tucked in but he has done this since
I got him and pooed all over.
Don't think he's miserable.... That I can tell.
I did pick him up, kind of pulled his ta up and there
Was a little turd. So that made me feel little better.

Yes, he is still eating and actually saw him drinking
As well today. So that's good.

I did put some poo back in to see if
That was his problem.

Why do buns have to be difficult/ particular
At times? :)

It could be a number of reasons but make sure he has lots of hay, the right amount of pellets and his favourite veggies to get things going. If he's not pooped by tomorrow call the vet immediately. They usually give them sub q fluids to get the digestive system flowing again and diagnose any problems he may be having.

Darn it. Ok better start popped Thumps. Lol.
He has veggies, hay and his pellets.

Not that great on his pellets or hay but he does
Nibble on them.

Ooo, I have been mixing his hay with
Mango hay that has mango in it but
Haven't given him and dried peices of
Mango today just the hay.

Phew! Have you taken your bunny for a check up recently? Lack of appetite usually stands for something wrong or dental problems which do lead to GI status. I would defiantly inform your vet and ask for his teeth to be checked so if it happens again you don't have to panic

Phew! Have you taken your bunny for a check up recently? Lack of appetite usually stands for something wrong or dental problems which do lead to GI status. I would defiantly inform your vet and ask for his teeth to be checked so if it happens again you don't have to panic

Ok, but I jut got him about a week or two
Ago so it could be the changes (small, and gradual)
That I have made. Being that he doesn't know us,
Cage, his surroundings etc. he is eating his pellets
More and his hay as I have decreased his veggies some.

I wouldn't give him the hay with the mixed pieces of mango. He doesn't need all the sugar, dried fruits have more sugar than fresh. So I would pick all the mango pieces out and make sure he's not getting them, since too much sugar can be a problem. Especially since you have a kid feeding fruits! :)

If you're trying to get him to eat more hay, which you should be. I would try for some botanical hay, its just timothy hay with herbs and flowers in it. But it smells really nice and it entices the buns to eat more hay because it has dried stuff in it. Thats a good treat hay. Also if he's not eating enough hay, you could decrease pellets. How many pellets are you feeding and how old is your bun? I've probably missed it in other threads.

My rabbit doesn't poop as much during the middle of the day, when she's relaxing and sleeping.

I wouldn't give him the hay with the mixed pieces of mango. He doesn't need all the sugar, dried fruits have more sugar than fresh. So I would pick all the mango pieces out and make sure he's not getting them, since too much sugar can be a problem. Especially since you have a kid feeding fruits! :)

If you're trying to get him to eat more hay, which you should be. I would try for some botanical hay, its just timothy hay with herbs and flowers in it. But it smells really nice and it entices the buns to eat more hay because it has dried stuff in it. Thats a good treat hay. Also if he's not eating enough hay, you could decrease pellets. How many pellets are you feeding and how old is your bun? I've probably missed it in other threads.

My rabbit doesn't poop as much during the middle of the day, when she's relaxing and sleeping.

It was a Honest mistake. Could have been
Fatial but wasn't lesson learned.
Anyways, a handful of hay witch I was told
By a member on here and a 1/4 cup of
Pellets which again told by a member on here.

It truelly honestly depends on who u talk to.
A meme we on here say it was OK to give mango
As long as I didn't give it all the time. Ur saying not
To give it at all. There was a site on here provided on
Here that stats that fruit is ok if given 5% of there diet.

There's really nothing definite when it comes to feeding recommendations, except that the proper ratio of nutrients are needed, as well as fiber, to keep a rabbit healthy and keep it's digestion functioning well. We can share recommendations and what has worked for our own rabbits, but really you have to just see what works well to keep your rabbit healthy and at a good weight. You want your rabbits back and rump, nice and rounded and not boney. You may find that a 1/4 cup of pellets works for your rabbit, but if you start seeing weight loss, you will need to increase that amount. It is also good to feed as much grass hay as your rabbit will eat before the next feeding. Hay is good for digestive health and their teeth, plus having it to munch on helps keep rabbits busy and from getting bored. The more you get to know your rabbits and their health, the better you'll understand what type of feeding works best for them. I have several rabbits, and none of them have the same dietary needs. Some get less pellets or they get soft poop, some get more pellets, to keep their weight up, some get no pellets as they are sensitive to them and it makes them sick. But they all get lots of grass hay. I would suggest doing a little research on how a rabbits digestive system works, and also what their poop should look like, and what it means if it doesn't look normal. A change in a rabbits poop, can often be the first sign that something is wrong with your rabbit. Here are a few links with some good info on rabbit health.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3015&S=5&SourceID=43
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

For fruit, it just depends on amounts and how sensitive your rabbits are to sugars. Some rabbits can't tolerate any sugars without getting sick. And you don't want to overload a rabbit with too many sugars, as that can disrupt the bacterial balance in the gut, and make a rabbit sick. You also have to consider that dried fruit is concentrated, and some dried fruit like mango, usually has added sugars in it, so you would have to feed an even smaller amount than fresh fruit.

Last edited:
There's really nothing definite when it comes to feeding recommendations, except that the proper ratio of nutrients are needed, as well as fiber, to keep a rabbit healthy and keep it's digestion functioning well. We can share recommendations and what has worked for our own rabbits, but really you have to just see what works well to keep your rabbit healthy and at a good weight. You want your rabbits back and rump, nice and rounded and not boney. You may find that a 1/4 cup of pellets works for your rabbit, but if you start seeing weight loss, you will need to increase that amount. It is also good to feed as much grass hay as your rabbit will eat before the next feeding. Hay is good for digestive health and their teeth, plus having it to munch on helps keep rabbits busy and from getting bored. The more you get to know your rabbits and their health, the better you'll understand what type of feeding works best for them. I have several rabbits, and none of them have the same dietary needs. Some get less pellets or they get soft poop, some get more pellets, to keep their weight up, some get no pellets as they are sensitive to them and it makes them sick. But they all get lots of grass hay. I would suggest doing a little research on how a rabbits digestive system works, and also what their poop should look like, and what it means if it doesn't look normal. A change in a rabbits poop, can often be the first sign that something is wrong with your rabbit. Here are a few links with some good info on rabbit health.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3015&S=5&SourceID=43
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

For fruit, it just depends on amounts and how sensitive your rabbits are to sugars. Some rabbits can't tolerate any sugars without getting sick. And you don't want to overload a rabbit with too many sugars, as that can disrupt the bacterial balance in the gut, and make a rabbit sick. You also have to consider that dried fruit is concentrated, and some dried fruit like mango, usually has added sugars in it, so you would have to feed an even smaller amount than fresh fruit.

Thank you for the explaining. I really do
Appreciate it. I will b looking at the sites u have provided
Thanks again.

K so the site that Jbun provided here
Says that if the poo looked like this
It could be dehydration, nutrients, medication
( which he hasn't been on any)
Can someone explain what I need to do?

image.jpg

The lady above did not tell you NO MANGO.
She said that mango is very sugary.
So it is like cookies for kids - too much sugar is not good for anyone, person or bunny.

That is why she told you to pick it out of the hay, and just offer it as a treat sometimes.

Mango is safe for rabbits.

The pictures above look like fairly normal poop. What happens when you squish a poop? Is it hard and dusty, or wet and sticky?

The lady above did not tell you NO MANGO.
She said that mango is very sugary.
So it is like cookies for kids - too much sugar is not good for anyone, person or bunny.

That is why she told you to pick it out of the hay, and just offer it as a treat sometimes.

Mango is safe for rabbits.

The pictures above look like fairly normal poop. What happens when you squish a poop? Is it hard and dusty, or wet and sticky?

There was a post on here from someone that mentioned
Wasn't good for rabbits. I didn't say they said NO MAGO
They were suggesting to take it out. I have gotten that from
A few people. Others say its ok in moderation as well
As carrots.

Latest posts

Back