Hello, new with an unusual situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though he may not feel comfortable with people now, there are things that you can do to help build a trusting relationship with your rabbit.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
Another great article - thank you! I'm patient and giving him plenty of time to adjust. His whole world has gone upside down, it's going to take a while to earn his trust and affection. He sees my other animals come to me for affection and the more he sees that I think the more he'll realise he can trust me as well. I'm keeping his diet bland but giving him a leaf top from my salad vegetables when I make my salads. Sometimes he'll take it right from my hand, other times he'll run off. When he runs off I just set it down and let him come to it. I had a foster child in the Autism spectrum so I understand patience and am treating the bun as I would someone with neurodivergence - make certain he has all the things he needs but not fuss over him and give him the space he needs. My foster son is an adult now and when we visit I get full on bear hug embraces (something that never would have happened when he was a youth). I think the bun will eventually want my affection as well. Oh, he does seem to enjoy when I sing to him! I'm going to practice my cello for a while tonight, I'm curious how he'll react to that. It puts my cats in a very happy trance.

If you could record the rabbit playing with the cats, that'd be great to see. It sounds like they are doing well, but I am a little cautious about it as well. I have seen people think that their dog or cat, for example, is "playing" wonderfully with their rabbit, when in reality, the owners just weren't well-versed in "bunny-speak." In fact, the rabbit was highly stressed (apparent only to those experienced in interpreting bunny body language). I'm not saying this is or isn't the case in your situation. But a visual recording could be most informative.

Also, keep an eye on those puppy training pads, Some rabbits have been known to chew and ingest either the plastic blue part or the inside fluff.

This is a fortunate rabbit to have someone who cares so much.

If you could record the rabbit playing with the cats, that'd be great to see. It sounds like they are doing well, but I am a little cautious about it as well. I have seen people think that their dog or cat, for example, is "playing" wonderfully with their rabbit, when in reality, the owners just weren't well-versed in "bunny-speak." In fact, the rabbit was highly stressed (apparent only to those experienced in interpreting bunny body language). I'm not saying this is or isn't the case in your situation. But a visual recording could be most informative.

Also, keep an eye on those puppy training pads, Some rabbits have been known to chew and ingest either the plastic blue part or the inside fluff.

This is a fortunate rabbit to have someone who cares so much.
I've been very cautious as well and only having them with each other when I can observe. The cats mostly just watch him, sometimes when he goes up to them they sniff him. He loves to run up to the girl kitty and head butt her in the belly - I think that's something he did with his previous cat siblings. She just gives a 'Huh, that's different' look. They've been letting him approach them and he does but when he doesn't want to be around anyone he's got a favourite hiding place they can't get to. I've been trying to get a video but as soon as I get my phone, they disperse. My little dog doesn't interact with him much at all, she's old and just sticks to my side most of the time. They really don't get much time together. The cats sleep in my bedroom all day while I'm working and the bun gets the living room during that time. At night, I'm keeping him in the dining room that I've turned into a workspace with sliding shoji doors. I dismantle and put away my equipment every night so there's no cords to worry about in there. I've been keeping an eye on the wee pads to look for chewing and he hasn't done that at all. In fact, he uses his cage as a litter box. He drops his little poo balls around but he uses the cage to pee. I have to leave some pads out for the dog as she's not great at waiting for her walks but he doesn't bother with them at all. He's been chewing his applewood sticks and a bowl I got him that's made from Timothy Hay, I haven't seen him try to chew anything else but one piece of paper that slid under my desk.

He did approach me for some affection a little bit ago. The cat was rubbing against me and getting her loves and he thought that looked pretty good. Then I gave him a bit of cilantro and parsley and he rubbed his chin on my foot.

Not all rabbits will be affected with calcium build up problems, but for rabbits that are prone to it, it's important to keep on top of it to try and prevent the build up as best you can. For some rabbits it's just minor and can be managed fairly well, and for other rabbits it will take more intervention by you and your vet to keep it managed.

If you want good pet brands of hay that you can just order and usually not have to worry about the quality being good, I've seen members on here recommend small pet select and rabbit hole. Oxbow also usually has decent quality hay. Buying bulk amounts will save you more over buying small bags.

But the cheapest way to buy hay is from a farm store, farmer, or possibly a horse barn. I've always bought mine from a farm store or farmer. Buying a bale, you do have to make sure you're getting good horse quality grass hay(no mold, no noxious weeds), that's never been wet, wasn't baled wet, has a decent green color to it and isn't sun bleached inside the bale(some sun bleaching on the outside is usually ok), isn't full of weeds, isn't too dusty, and the hay isn't crumbly.

If you don't feel comfortable knowing what to look out for and making sure the hay is good, you might be better off going with one of the reliable pet brands for now. Second cut timothy is usually a good cut for rabbits. Orchard grass is also a good grass hay for rabbits and one rabbits usually like, and may be a good hay for preventing tooth overgrowth. Rabbits usually really like oat hay too, but if you get this hay, you do have to make sure there aren't many mature seed heads in it as that would add too many carbs to the diet.

If you want to make sure your bun is going to like the hay before buying in bulk, maybe order a small amount to start and if it's a good batch that your bun likes, order a larger amount of the same batch. All hay crops are different, and apparently it can really matter to some pickier buns. I've had my rabbits turn their noses up at a new bale that I thought looked really nice :p

I thought I'd also add a few cautions about interactions with cats and rabbits, even though he's used to living with cats. You just have to make sure that if he does have any interaction with your cats, that no biting or scratching happens. Even just a minor scratch from a cat, can end up being deadly to a rabbbit. Also you don't want your rabbit having any access to the cats litter box, as toxoplasmosis can be passed to rabbits from the feces. And clay and clumping cat litters can cause serious health issues for rabbits if ingested.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Relationships_with_rabbits
I would have baby gas drops(simethicone) on hand, as an upset stomach from gas pain is one of the more common issues to occur with rabbits. I also like to have a recovery food mix(oxbow or sherwood) on hand in case a rabbit needs syringe feeding(upon instruction from your vet). Meloxicam suspension(NSAID) is also good to have on hand, but that would require your vet prescribing it.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/first-aid-kit.html
https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer/
Free roaming a bunny, you do need to make sure to bunny proof pretty well. A more destructive rabbit will need more bunny proofing. But wires always need to be protected. You've got a jump on that, so that's good. Make sure to keep your charging cords out of reach, as a bun can snip through those before you even have a chance to react.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bunny-proofing
You may want to pop your shoes away.My bunny took a liking to nibbling my leather shoes if I left them on the floor!

Great job you're doing though and all the info you're getting I'm reading too as I'm new on here.Hope all goes well for you all.

You may want to pop your shoes away.My bunny took a liking to nibbling my leather shoes if I left them on the floor!

Great job you're doing though and all the info you're getting I'm reading too as I'm new on here.Hope all goes well for you all.
Ha, he does sniff around my shoes! He got his teeth on a leather wallet case for my phone the other day. Bunny-proofing has been an adventure. It turns out, the nylon cords and covers are not bunny proof. I installed box covers over the electricity outlets and run the cords up and over, securing them to the wall with plastic covers. I purchased clear, plastic panels for the areas around my telly and work station, that's working brilliantly! My electronics are penned in whilst the bunny is free roaming. The house we're moving into is still under renovation and the sheet rock hasn't gone up yet. I asked if we can move the electricity outlets up so they are a yard above the floor to avoid dangling cords.

Congratulations on your new bunny! We're 2.5 weeks in and he's a member of the family. He really enjoys the cats and they are getting closer to giving him the affection he craves from them. I'm still just a walking food dispenser to him but he does let me pet him and give him chin scritches. Now that I've got the bunny proofing sorted, I can relax and just enjoy watching him rather than panic about what he's getting into.

Bunny proofing is one of the more difficult aspects of having rabbits. They like to try and find ways to outwit us :p

I'm really happy to hear how well he's doing. If he's letting you pet him, you're much more than a food dispenser. It means he accepts you into the rabbit hierarchy of grooming and has a level of trust with you. Some rabbit carers can go months, or even years to get to that stage. So it's very good progress 🥰

Bunny proofing is one of the more difficult aspects of having rabbits. They like to try and find ways to outwit us :p

I'm really happy to hear how well he's doing. If he's letting you pet him, you're much more than a food dispenser. It means he accepts you into the rabbit hierarchy of grooming and has a level of trust with you. Some rabbit carers can go months, or even years to get to that stage. So it's very good progress 🥰
They are very clever creatures aren't they?? I joke that it's like living with both a toddler and a teenager. Every time I block him from doing something naughty he kicks up a fit like 'You never let have any fun! You're so mean! I hate you! Ahhhhhh!'

But he is a cute little fella. He does seem to enjoy when I sing to him and play the cello. There's a spot near my feet when I'm working that seems to be his place. I tried to block him from it because of the cables but that only made him more determined. Now that I've got the panels and the cables running up the wall he can have it. I've not tried to pick him up or hold him as I've received no indication from him that would be okay. I think he likes me as much as he would like a human but he does seem very comfortable.

Well, after I said that he has really taken a turn in his affections. Not just allowing me to pet him but now he's running up to my daughter and I and periscoping for affection just like the cats! It's a bit adorable 🥰

Back