Hello! New here with lots of annoying newbie questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GB - Blue eyes was not tearing anyone else down. If youre going to intentionally read that kind of negativity into someones post i suggest you slow down.

If you guys can't play nice, time outs will be in order.
No more replying to each other in this topic. Time to move on.

check out lennon the bunny on youtube for any help you might need with this (bunnyproofing). :)

Lennon the Bunny is what truly convinced me that I can provide a wonderful home for a rabbit. In her first videos, Lorelei is living in a tiny studio apartment (my home is only 630 sq. ft.) and she has this gorgeous havana mix rabbit free roaming in an immaculate environment. I was sold! I continued on with my research but kept going back to Lennon's channel for encouragement. Fast forward a month or so and I am now a bunny mom trying to give my bunnies the luxurious lifestyle that Lennon has. I like that Lorelei is honest about the amount of work it takes to keep a healthy, happy house rabbit. After I got my bunnies (two babies - oops.) I found myself saying stupid things like "How did Lorelei put up with this?" Or "I wonder if Lennon was ever this naughty?!?" (She was...) Sometimes I would get frustrated and think that the Lennon the Bunny channel just romanticized house rabbits and made it look much cleaner and easier than it is to free roam a rabbit. But then I realized it can be that way for anyone willing to put in the work. It takes a lot of work to clean up after bunnies and to bunny proof your house and to constantly be on the look out for hazards as they appear or bunny barriers that need replacement. You have to commit to this, I have learned. It is not easy at first, there is so much to do in getting your habitat set up and litter box training, bunny proofing, etc. But the joy you will get is an incredibly amazing return on your initial investments! Do it right from the start and you will be able to provide your rabbit(s) with the home of their dreams. They will thank you for it. It is worth it!

If I could go back and start over again I would get an adult bonded pair. I knew I wanted two rabbits because I read that bonded rabbits are healthier, happier, less lonely and stressed, and tend to stay out of trouble more so than a lonely, bored rabbit. I don't know what I'm going to end up with with my two babies. They get along great now, as most babies do, but anything could happen once their hormones kick in. What if they won't bond? Then I'm stuck with TWO lonely bored rabbits and I have to decide if I want to keep it that way or take them on dates and try to end up with two pairs.

I feel like I'm kind of rambling now and I've forgotten what I came here to say...other than the Lennon the Bunny channel makes sharing your home with a free roam rabbit look easy and neat....and more importantly it makes it look possible! Because it is, with a lot of work.

My Coco refused to go in her box for two days because of her litter. She didn't like the pelleted rabbit litter, so instead we put her on paper bedding. If your new bun pees on the floor, wipe it up with a tissue and stick it in their litter box, same with their poops (you don't need the tissue obviously for that). My Coco is only 11 weeks, so she isn't spayed and she is great with her box. If they poop while they're eating it's totally normal because of the fiber pushing it out of their little bodies!

Another thing I know you didn't ask about but, make sure you use safe brands of hay and pellets such as Oxbow, Small Pet Select, or even Kaytee. Make sure that they have as much hay as they'd like! If they're not eating it for some reason, check to make sure that it's really fresh! :)

I'm sure you've heard before, but make sure you keep your bun away from any kind of wood shavings, as the oils on their paws react with the wood and make toxins that could make your bun very sick, and even kill them. :( Best of luck with your new bun! They're great pets.

When it come to housing outdoor, especially during spring and summer time. You should buy a mosquito net and wrap around the mesh of the outdoor cage. It will protect your bunny from mosquitos but also flies.

During the night you should be able to lock your bunny into a hutch off the ground, to at least avoid predators. But if you don’t have foxes or any of those predators on the ground it won’t be necessary.

If your bunny will always have access to the ground make sure you have mesh on ground, to prevent them from digging out. At least have mesh near the edges.

The outdoor cage should have solid floor and don’t use chicken wire as mesh for the bunny. Bunnies can chew throuh the mesh and predators can easily break into the cage :3

If you don’t have harsh winter your bunny can live outside without problem. Because your bunny will get a thick winter fur. But if you are going to take your bunny in, make sure to take the bunny in before it gets cold.

One of my outdoor bunnies will often sleep in the snow, so every time it have snowed. I will find a bunny fully covered in snow, sleeping like a dead bunny. She always scared me to death that she might have passed away. She just love the snow, in the hutch their exist an electric heating pad but she never used, she rather sleep in the snow instead.

Myself house 2 bunnies outdoors because of one hate being indoors while the other bunny was extremely afraid of humans. So they couldn’t be free roaming in the house. Both outdoor bunnies are extremely cuddly, no problem with handling or picking up and they always come up to people to greet them.

So you can truly get a great bond with outdoors bunnies without a problem. In my opinion there’s no different creating a bond with an outdoor or indoor bunny.

C5A36D8A-71CF-4816-A2E6-8ED810FD2F09.jpg

I picked up my first foster last Wed. Little shy 1 year old lionhead mix. She's black with one white front foot. Came from a hoarding situation and is scared of people. So far I'm making some progress on winning her over with treats. (fresh greens.) So far I'm thinking that I will definitely want a rabbit of my own but most likely not this one. Try and get her socialized and trusting enough though to find her own family.

Attachments

• 67750866_2478054302252198_8606517546629201920_o.jpg
    67750866_2478054302252198_8606517546629201920_o.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
Oh, the poor little thing. Why don't you persevere a bit longer with her. I've had my first bunny now for about five months. I knew zero about how to care for them. I'm a dog/cat person and adopting a rabbit was the last thing on my mind until I saw this little thing on a market stall all by itself and they wanted $15 for it so in a weak moment I bought it. I can't say I've had monumental problems with it, mostly from my side as I'm not used to them, but it's been quite a learning curve for me. The main problem has been picking it up in the correct way to transfer it to a small cat cage whilst I clean out his main cage. I've been bitten once, and twice he fell from my hands and I thought he might have hurt himself but he has recovered. Trouble is, I have osteo arthritis and I'm not very flexible these days and so I can't bend down to pick up close to my body so I frightened the daylights out of him. Usually, though, as with all problems, its about thinking things through and compromising. I now have a tinier cage still which I put into his cage and so can quickly pick him up and transfer him over in a flash. My Podge (his name) was very scared of me at first and all the dogs and cats surrounding him but through talking to him constantly and scratching his head and other little endearments, he is coming around and getting quite cheeky now. I'll be interested in reading other's comments. Best of luck.

I picked up my first foster last Wed. Little shy 1 year old lionhead mix. She's black with one white front foot. Came from a hoarding situation and is scared of people. So far I'm making some progress on winning her over with treats. (fresh greens.) So far I'm thinking that I will definitely want a rabbit of my own but most likely not this one. Try and get her socialized and trusting enough though to find her own family.

You can feel around, if she doesn’t feel right and you don’t have the time to socialize her. Then it’s a good choice. But I can tell you, if you decide to keep her you can get a cuddly bunny after some time ^^

Good bonding vibes, please! (And yes, I'm reading like crazy about bonding.)

So, I'm not entirely sure how this happened but I was talking to the rabbit rescue, asked about maybe adopting a real pretty little Siamese colored lionhead at one of the sister chapters and somehow that evolved into me switching out Aspen, my previous foster, with one that was at the local Petsmart and happened to be the second most interesting to me rabbit they currently have, a little white and black male Hotot that is blind in one eye. I'll be getting the lionhead sometime next week and will be fostering to adopt both, hoping they bond. If they do, I'll adopt both. Major fingers crossed they do!! I'll only adopt one if they won't bond but I'm already in love with the male and I thought I was more interested in the female at the start. Might be really hard to chose if I have to! Here is Pippen, the male I just picked up. And Willow, the lionhead. (not my photo)DSC_7592.JPG 66708611_2245620508885193_1211377203506315264_o.jpg

The laundry room would have the distinct disadvantage of the noise of the dryer -- something often used to "stress-bond" rabbits.

If you want to enjoy and interact with your rabbit(s) and have them be part of the family, then secluding them in a rarely used room is counter-productive. It may seem like a good way to use extra space, but I rather think it would be regretted.

Finding a space where people tend to be... whether reading, on computer or TV, or even eating, is a better option. Rabbits need to be where the people are in order to become accustomed to you, interact, and be part of the family.

I don't know your situation with your cats but I've seen a number of RO members who have cats and rabbits that get along just fine. Perhaps they could chime in.
My rabbit loves the laundry room we have a secondary cage in there. He likes to pounce on the piles of clothes, hide under storage racks and laundry cart and sleep on the AC vent. Now we try to keep him out because if he goes in, he stays there all day instead of in hos larger area. Does not seem to mind the machine noise at all.

Our rabbit lived with us for eight years and six months before us three years and a half. He went to the animal rainbow after eleven great years total and over yers with us. Rabbit life is 8-10 years so he went way over the normal which happens when youtake the proper care of rabbit in the house and proper vet/nail care. We housed our rabbit in a very large dog crate and he lived right in the middle of the action. Not to loud not to soft but perfect place for Domino to use his senses. cars passing by on the street nosie and colors, , people walking by the window, us talking, us on the phone, us doing computer work, sound from outside like window opened lawn work, kids playing, and so much more. Then when we had people over and knew to loud for Domino we would move him to our room and allow our friends to go see him. Many people do not realize rabbits love to be social they love people, sounds, movement. rabbits do not like loud noise scares them. Of course with us with only two in the house we were able to keep him much of the time on the table so had the mix of quiet, sound, and be able to enjoy his meals and naps and sleep bed time without to much noise but then again not quiet all the time. Rabbits need water all the time along with the best type of hay whiich is called Timothy hay, for food we split his food as once a day was not enough he would gobble down food so fast. So what he did was half his food for the day for breakfast around 7am then his other portion around 7pm that worked pretty good. For our bunny size he was allowed around a little less than half a cup of pellets per day not per feeding. We used the Oxbow brand cost a few pennies/dollars more than otehrs but the quaility the best and that was his favorite brand of hay and food plus made in the states I thnki n Nebraska Then with the all you drink fresh clean water and all you can eat fresh clean hay in the litter box that was plenty of food and drink for Domino. Then at least once a day or at least every other day he would get to run around in the kitchen which he loved the kitchen run and loved the bonging of us playing with him. He loved his toys for the kitchen which were different than in his cage. Rabbits like people and kids get bored so it is a good idea to change/rotate toys. Rabbits love to explore and chew so even though the kitchen was big, had his toys, and attention from us playing and talking to him and fenced in some one had to stay in the kitchen if not he would chew the trim of the walls, wallpaper, chew the cabinents, fridge, garbage can, well anything.

Ugh, not really looking forward to the drive but I'm picking up Willow tomorrow. Had hoped they'd be able to find someone coming this way to send her with but instead I'm going to play courier. They've got someone wanting to adopt a pair of giants from the chapter closer to me that are in the town Willow is in, which is 3 and a half hours away from me. Someone from the closer one is going to meet me in my town to hand them off, so at least I don't need to drive to pick them up, that's an hour the opposite way.

I hate driving but I am excited to pick her up!!

Hi there! First off please consider adopting from a shelter. Thousands of bunnies are euthanized annually because people do not understand the commitment rabbits are. Plus, most shelters will neuter and spay the rabbit for you which saves a little cash!
Shelters can have rabbits ranging as singles to trios :) They are very much a handful though, so be wary of that.
Next, please allow your furry friend to free-roam the house, a minimum of 8 hours a day. Try to adopt an adult as they are much easier to handle and nurture than a kit. It is advised to keep your bunny indoors, as they are much more susceptible to disease, predators, and weather outdoors. They are super sensitive creatures. Make sure you have a rabbit-savvy vet in the area! Bunnies are masters at masking illnesses, so be sure to memorize their habits.
If you choose to adopt a rabbit that isn't fixed:
  • They are gonna take a little more effort to potty train.
  • Can run the risk of being more hostile/aggressive.
  • Being more hormonal means they are more inclined to mark their territory and urinate.
For bonding two separate rabbits:
  • Male to female couples have the highest success rate, though same-sex rabbits can bond too.
  • Bonding can take from weeks to years depending on the rabbits; sometimes it's simply not worth the time. Many rescues will give you a 30-day return policy in case it doesn't go well.
  • Always take it at the rabbit's pace, I personally do not recommend "force bonding" such as car rides or vacuums, as this instills fear and bunny couples are more likely to break up in the future.
My biggest tip is to watch bunny YouTubers such as 101Rabbits or Lennon The Bunny and research your nearest House Rabbit Society.
Best of luck!

Hi there! First off please consider adopting from a shelter. Thousands of bunnies are euthanized annually because people do not understand the commitment rabbits are. Plus, most shelters will neuter and spay the rabbit for you which saves a little cash!
Shelters can have rabbits ranging as singles to trios :) They are very much a handful though, so be wary of that.
Next, please allow your furry friend to free-roam the house, a minimum of 8 hours a day. Try to adopt an adult as they are much easier to handle and nurture than a kit. It is advised to keep your bunny indoors, as they are much more susceptible to disease, predators, and weather outdoors. They are super sensitive creatures. Make sure you have a rabbit-savvy vet in the area! Bunnies are masters at masking illnesses, so be sure to memorize their habits.
If you choose to adopt a rabbit that isn't fixed:
  • They are gonna take a little more effort to potty train.
  • Can run the risk of being more hostile/aggressive.
  • Being more hormonal means they are more inclined to mark their territory and urinate.
For bonding two separate rabbits:
  • Male to female couples have the highest success rate, though same-sex rabbits can bond too.
  • Bonding can take from weeks to years depending on the rabbits; sometimes it's simply not worth the time. Many rescues will give you a 30-day return policy in case it doesn't go well.
  • Always take it at the rabbit's pace, I personally do not recommend "force bonding" such as car rides or vacuums, as this instills fear and bunny couples are more likely to break up in the future.
My biggest tip is to watch bunny YouTubers such as 101Rabbits or Lennon The Bunny and research your nearest House Rabbit Society.
Best of luck!

Welcome to the forum, sunbutterbuns!

You may have missed it, but Critterfan87 is indeed going through a rabbit rescue. In fact, she even fostered a rabbit from the rescue to get a better feel for rabbit ownership. :)
(If the Petsmart comment threw you off, Petsmart does not sell rabbits but does allow rescues to show their adoptable rabbits at some of their locations.)

Sound advice, though.

Ugh, finally home and got her settled in. I really, really hate road work and semi's that think they need to pass each other!

But Willow is an absolute doll and a totally chill rabbit, well worth the drive!
I'll get pics tomorrow.

Got some pictures while Willow was grooming this morning, they are kind of crummy. I did end up officially adopting her.
Which kind of really screws up my plans to slowly buy everything that I wanted to make up a nice enclosure and go easy on our budget. So it's pretty minimal setups at the moment.

D1bG24Hl.jpg

bq3I5iil.jpg

3fZlT2Fl.jpg

TnHf15Bl.jpg

mReQOPql.jpg

BJm32B0l.jpg

B1v1u8Ul.jpg

Caught a tongue!

18bFnLhl.jpg

KPBV1Aul.jpg

fiI9pHfl.jpg

And some more pictures of Pippen.

Day I brought him home.

2oMXkT4l.jpg

UzKhX8El.jpg

alSWcxml.jpg

This morning.

m1WdJ76l.jpg

zttB9gTl.jpg

zqq43u8l.jpg

yCKX9M2.jpg

SO CUTE! Pippen's markings on his face look like a black butterfly! And OMG, Willow, so pretty...sweet little lionhead (&mix?)...some gorgeous buns!!!

Back