hello......anyone there?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww Rezbeck sorry you feel like this. We don'tthink you boring at all. I haven't been on for a couple of days as i'vebeen busy. Again sorry you feel people are ignoring you. I for onedidn't realise youfelt ignored and Ibet its not theintention of others to make you feel like this.

Vickie

rezbeck wrote:
idont know why but i dont seem to be getting any replies to my posts, ami just too boring? lol

You are *not* boring :) This is a fast moving forum andsomeone could easily spend 24/7 attempting to reply to every singlepost. I try to get to a few each day, butcertainly don't have time to get to them all.

Pam

thanks everyone. i have a couple of questions iwould like answered if thats ok. 1/ how long did it take you lot to beable to pick your bunnies up? smoky is getting better and better butsnowy, well she has her good and bad days. but when she is chargingaround like a mad thing i cannot catch her! and 2/ do any of you showyour rabbits and if so can i get some information on it, i am in theuk, thanks once again for making me feel less boring lol!!

Welcome to the forum! :D I have hadrelatives visiting so I have not had time to be on the forum as much asI would like to be. I have not met a boring person on hereyet, so I do not think that is a problem. I look forward togetting to know you and your bun or buns. I have 2, Troubleand Trixie. Trouble is a Harliquen mixedandTrixie is just a mixedbigsweet bunny. She is 9 pounds, is easy goingand hasbig feet soI have wondered if she has some Flemish Giant inher back ground. Beckie

I think Buck used a net to capture hisbuns. We usually try to get them cornered in a small areawhere we can grab them. It's important not to get them scaredby chasing them throughout the house. We're a little sneakyabout it and pretend that we are really not after them LOL

Normally, a rabbit is picked up by slipping a hand under them behindthe front legs, using the other hand to support their hind end andscooping them up and tucking them under your arm.

Rabbits such as Checkered Giants are not picked up this way due to thefact that they can inflict serious injury by biting and/or kicking.

Pam

Hi Rezbeck,

I'm so sorry that you feel the way you do. Please, it's not personal atall. As Pamnock said, this board moves so fast that it's hard to keepup sometimes.

How do I catch my bunnies? Well, eventually, if you chase them longenough, they get tired and you can get them, but to be honest, I don'ttry to catch my bunnies. It's too hard. I trick them instead.

Having 4 with me right now, one I don't have to try to catch, she justhops in her cage, (Fauna); Tucker will go in his cage whenever I shakea yogurt drop box or give him is meal. I only have fed him in his cagesince he was a baby and when he's out and I shake a treat at him, hebeats feet to get in his cage. Missy doesn't like to go back to hercage at all, but she knows the command, "Missy, Cage, Treat" and Ithrow a treat in her cage after I've tapped the corner of it a fewtimes. I then have to walk away and pretend that I've forgotten abouther and within a minute, she's in the cage nibbling the treat and Iclose the door. Calbert is one of the fastest rabbits I've ever seenand he's nearly impossible to catch. Whenever I want him in his cage, Istart poking around in the cage. I'll change his water or refill hisfood; put a treat in there, or fill his hayrack, or I'll just clean thecage. He's always got to know what's going on and the second I startany of these acts, he comes right over to make sure I'm doing it rightand will hop in. Caught! Works every time.

As to picking them up, I pick them up when they're in their cage andbefore I let them have their free time because once they're down,zoooommmm, they're gone. Tucker doesn't like being held and all theothers are pretty good about it. Tucker will tolerate it, but I don'tlike him to have to 'tolerate anything', so I rarely pick him up.

Don't know how showing rabbits goes in the U.K., but we have enough ofmembers in this forum that can help you with that, I'm sure.

You might wish to contact your local shelter or 4-H club or the BritishRabbit Council and ask them where you'd start in the area of Englandthat you are in.

Best of Luck!

-Carolyn

Trouble was a little wild man whenIfirst got him. ActuallyI got them at the sametime. Their personalities are quitedifferent. Trixie is more laid back easy going and more onthe lazy side. Trouble was hyper vigilant and moreon the nervous side. He also is a more curious bun and likes to getinto things. At first I could only pick him up for about asecond. He would twitch and literally jump out of myarms! I had him neutered and he calmed down a lot.Now after 3 years I can pick him up and hold him in my arms like ababy. He will also let me pick him up and he will rest hishead on my shoulder and cuddle with me. I have been able totrance him once to the point of being able to cut his nails whiletranced. This was a major ordeal! He would neverallow himself to be that relaxed in my arms before. He kissedme for the first time after being with me for about 2 1/2years. A lot of it I think has to do with trust, theneutering helped though. He has been sick a couple of timesthis year and I had to syringe feed him. Through all of thishe has learned to have a deeper trust for me. So I guess whatI am saying to you is that it takes time, loving treatment of them andspaying or neutering to get rid of the hormones. I have beenlong winded here so, I hope that this helps you in some way.I have enjoyed my buns so much, they are amazing animals. Ifeel sorry for the people that did not want them any more, because theyhave missed out on a lot of love and companionship. TakeCare Beckie

Oh, other comment. I have no problemsgetting them back into the cages. Food does it every time!haha For Trixie, she is such a chow hound, I can stand and"dig" the cup in the rabbitpellets and that sound will makeher come flying! no exaggeration! OnceIwas talking on the phone to my sister and I went to put the rabbits intheir cages,she (my sister) did not hear me "dig" in the Purina rabbitchow, but she did hear Trixie run into her cage. She said,"what was that "!!! We both had a laugh out of thatone! It does not have to be a large amount of food, but ithas worked for me. :) Beckie

Not boring .but im very busy getting ready forthe fair.yesterday i tattoed 4H rabbits took my son fishing he caught 4bluegills.and i have about 30 rabbits to tattoo this week.bluebird

Hi rezbeck - not ignoring you,but don't alwayshave time to answer as many posts as I'd like - this goes for everyoneelse as well, so sorry all.

I pick my buns up in the morning before they come out, just to givethem a quick check over and make sure they're OK. Neitherlike being held very much - Pernod growls all the time and when I puther down she attacks the first thing she can, usually my feet! Perrykeeps still but has a worried look on his face and as soon as he getsdown he stamps his feet and runs around stamping! As for getting themin, like most others, food works wonders.

Good luck if you are going to show your buns, hope you find some details of showing in the UK.

Jan

Aww Rez, sometimes I feel like that myself, but Ithink it's mainly coz we're in the UK and the US members aren't on...lucky things are in bed! :D

The BRC should be able to help you on showing... www.thebrc.org

As for catching, don't chase them, they just get frightened.We can tell when Henry's stressed as he flops down under the clotheshorse out of our way if we chase him. Now I just walk up tohim as if I'm going to pet him, then wiggle my fingers under his chest(he flattens down as he thinks I can't get my hands under and can'tpick him up) then scoop up his bum. We've had him for 3months now and even though he doesn't like being picked up, he'lltolerate it. He usually knows when he's going to get pickedup and doesn't struggle too much.

Oh also, wear long sleeves and a top up to your neck. Wearingvest tops isn't a good idea. :shock: Bloomin' soreis what it is!!

Oh also, wear long sleeves and a top up to yourneck. Wearing vest tops isn't a good idea.:shock: Bloomin' sore is what it is!!

Very good bit of advice - still have some wounds to prove it.Also perhaps wear something that it doesn't matter if it ends up withholes in it ;)

Jan

To elaborate a bit more upon what Pam mentionedabove. We permit our buns to free range in our back yarddaily. We do secure them in their hutches in the evening, butthey are sometimes unwilling to do that on a voluntary basis,consequently, we must "run" them down and catch them.

As Carolyn mentioned, they sometimes tire out and wait to be pickedup. Othertimes, they will hide in the abundant vegetation inour back yard. Then, we have to flush them out and usuallywill capture them with a crab net.

A crab net resembles an ordinary fisherman's net, only it has a handleabout 6 feet long. It enables us to bridge the "safe"distance that the buns try to keep away from us when they are in the"runaway" mode. You've experienced their ability to stay"just a little bit" away from you when you're trying to catch them,I'll bet.

You may want to try talking to your buns in "rabbit talk," which we'vefound worked with some of our buns in the past when it cameto retrieving them. For more information regardingthat topic, accessat...http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Buck

LuvaBun wrote:
Sorry, but I'm a bun lover of little brain. Whatdo you do when you tattoo a bun? I have some pretty dramaticimages going on in my head!!:shock::shock:

It's a little clamp with needles (in the shape of numbers andletters)on it. You ink the needles and clamp it hard onbunny's ear. It makes a permanent identifying mark, really vital at 4-Hfairs because bunnies can get mixed up and/or stolen.

It's like getting your ears pierced, real quick and then it's over.It's sore for a couple days and then it's fine. Perfectly safe and nobig deal unless you hit that big vein in the ear, which bleeds a fairbit. But still not a big deal.

That's something you'll never need to worry about unless you show your buns! ;)It's not so bad, anyway.

Rose

LuvaBun wrote:
Sorry, but I'm a bun lover of little brain. Whatdo you do when you tattoo a bun? I have some pretty dramaticimages going on in my head!!:shock::shock:

In the US, rabbits require a permanent earmark for exhibition (In the UK, a metal band is put on the rear leg.)

As someone mentioned, the tattoo pliers are a common method oftattooing. I actually use a "person" tattoo gun,which gives a better, clearer mark and is less invasive to the tissuethan the clamp tattooer.

Pam

Rezbeck if you contact me off list I can give you some UK based place to go regarding showing and starting up showing.

I hope that the list owners do not mind this message! :)

Best wishes

Bob UK

Latest posts

Back