hello and bunny questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom bunny

Reaction score
hello, I have been reading this board for acouple of weeks now and have even posted once or twice, so I thought Iwould introduce myself! My name is Tracy and I have beenmarried for 12 years and we have an 11 year old son. Wehappen to have a small zoo in our home and our newest addition is aHolland lop bunny who was born on april 20 2004, so she is just about 4mo. old. Her name is blossom and she is a broken tort, andSOOOO CUTE!!!! we have only had blossom for for 13 daysnow. As some of you remember from a previuos post we saw herfor sale at our local 4H fair the owner did not want her anymorebecause she only placed 2nd :( Blossom is an indoorbunny and because of all of our other animals she has to live in acage. So I guess this is where my questions begin!!

1) her cage is 36x24 and plenty tall, is this large enough for her if she is given daily exercise outside of her cage?

2) We had her to the vet this weekend and she weighed 2lbs 20z, is this small for her size? and will she get much bigger?

3) When we got her from this person she was eating heinhold17 17 family formula, I still have her on that, is that a goodfood? She also eats oxbow hay.

4) My son wants to show her in next years fair, which meansshe cant be spayed, will she be too old to spay after showingher next year? she will be about a year and 4 mo. then

5) Her nails are just SO sharp but they are short and notready to be clipped, can I file them to take the sharpness away?

6) When and if can I give her veggies? I asked thevet and he said they are not neccessary, but I seem to read conflictingopinions on this!

7) Ok I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how highcan bunnies jump? cna they jump onto acouch?I was suprised the other day we had her inher carrier, which opens from the top, andshe was able tojump in and out of it!!!

8) also we were able to litter train her (only while in hercage) in less than a week, and we are using carefresh litter..is thatgood litter and occassionally she eats it, is that ok?

Ok I think that may be it (for now!) you guys seem like sucha great group, I hope I can fit right in!! Tracy!

Tracy,

1. Yes

2. Likely. Three to four pounds is proper weight for senior doe being shown.

3.Seems to be adequate diet, to me.

4. No, recommended to spay before age ofthree. After that, some things can becomeproblematic.

5. Sure, if she'll let you. Tootsies are often sensitive areas that they resist tinkering with.

6. I would hold off on veggies for a month or two,yet. Can be detrimental to young buns' health.There is disagreement within the rabbit fancying world about theefficacy of providing fruits, vegetables, greens, etc. If shehasn't had any yet, and is pooping normally, don't fix something thatis not "broke," in my humble opinion. Link here, though, fora list of safefoods:http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

7. Can certainly jump onto couches and higheritems. Don't know their maximum capability, nor do they, Ithink!LOL I would say three to five feet is notimpossible, but probably uncommon because they are usually not infright for their lives in a domestic situation.

8. Not familiar with CareFresh, but in general, any claybased, and/or clumping litter is in danger of poisoning and/or killinga bun if it eats it. Many recommend YesterdaysNews.I, myself, use Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding, which is a safe,granulated, wood based litter.

You're in already and you fit perfectly! Welcome.

Buck

thats weird. shes eating carefresh? i use that.angie eats the corn cob. i have heard that carefresh and yesterdaysnews are the preffered kinds. i use yesterdays news in her wire bottomcage, and carefresh in her litter box. since it is a tissue-likematerial, there might be a problem if shes actually eating it.

what do the rest of you guys think?

oops, i forgot to say Hello! :)i dontknow if i said a greeting when you posted the first time about 2ndplace at the fair. so greetings!:Dand happy bunny-ing!

Latest posts

Back