Hello, also from Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leveret

Reaction score
Hello! I was pointed this way by a fellow i-dogger over at the dog.com forum.

I only discovered the joys of rabbits as pets recently. It all started with a lonely hare leveret suffering an ant attack. Picking the ants off his distressed little body, it occurred to me that I didn't know what to do next. I couldn't very well put him back in the path of the ants, but if I moved him, there was no guarantee his mother would find him again, or that the ants would not. He made my mind up for me by cuddling into my arms insistently and settling down there.

So, I took him in and hand-raised him, despite not knowing the first thing about rabbits, let alone hares. I named him Kit.

When he was about 6 months old, I decided he was lonely and bought a baby standard rex doe for him to make friends with. She proceeded to beat him into submission and turn his life into hell, so I had to find her a new home.

About another 6 months after that, the lady I gave the rex demoness to had some baby rabbits she thought might suit my hare. I was better equipped this time, and so Kat came into my life. She was a bundle of pure mischief and possibly a ninja, but she was just right for my hare buddy, and they got quite comfortable and happy with each other.

When Kat was about 6 months old, she contracted myxo. I was over in Mexico at the time, so I didn't get to say goodbye to her. She was put to sleep, leaving Kit alone and me devastated.

Worrying about Kit got me over Kat's death a lot faster than I would have got over it myself. He was all alone with my parents, isolated from me and my dog and his rabbit pal gone.... I found what I thought would be just the right rabbit companion for us on the internet, and that's how we ended up with Bonnie.

Bonnie was a rescue, mostly. She came from a tiny hutch she originally shared with another rabbit that had recently died. Her owner had moved out and not bothered to come back for the rabbits and her carer knew little about rabbits and didn't want one. Bonnie loves her dog crate home with its newspaper and litter tray and plastic toys and treats so much that it's hard to coax her to leave it. She's come a long way since she joined us about 9 months ago, and it's been a pleasure to watch her grow. She still plots to take over the world, but I think she's now decided to keep a few human slaves around to brush her and give her raisins rather than doing away with them all.

I've attached a picture of Kit looking especially domestic.

Welcome to the forum! :)
Wow, a hare? I didn't know you could tame hares just by raising them from babies....kinda makes me wonder if this could start a new trend ;)
Either way, Kit is adorable~ I hope you start a bunny blog for him and his rabbit friend, Bonnie.
...And of course.....post lots of pictures! We love pictures here :bunnydance:

Kit reminds me ofa guard dog in that picture!

Welcome to the forum! We love hearing all about your pets. Make yourself right at home!

Wow! HI! Welcome!

Hello, Leveret!! Welcome to the forum!!

Your boy, Kit, is so handsome!! What a beautiful color!!

And a hare, wonderful!

I can't wait to see pictures of your little Bonnie princess...how cute she must be to have caught a handsome boy like Kit! :)

Welcome to the RO Family! We're happy to have ya!

Hugs!

Rosie*

hi!!! I'm from Auss!! I have 2 rabbits. and oneis sick i think. I don't know so i asked the people here. I'm waitingfor a reply. :(

helooooooooo I'm also an aussie! I live in WA...
Your descriptions of Ninja's and world domination plots cracked meup...and stuck a cord... there is something about bunnies and worlddomination..:shock:

Latest posts

Back