hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read on the forum that straw can be sharp and could poke a bunnies eye. You can use Timothy, but I don't think it absorbs urine or odor, so I've heard of members putting newspaper or aspen shavings under it. My buns get free fed hay to keep everything moving, lol. :biggrin:

Are your bunnies housed indoors or out? Are they litter trained?

If they are indoors, they don't need to have loose bedding at all. It will be easier clean-up without it. Depending on your bunnies' chew habits, you can use carpet, fleece bedding, a sheet, towel, blanket, seagrass mats, linoleum...

It's good for your bunny to have free access to timothy hay 24/7.

You should definitely keep hay out for them. It won't make them fat, and it helps keep their digestive tract moving along. Timothy hay is a great choice. As far as bedding, I can't help you out there. My rabbits seem to always use their hay piles for beds. LOL

Rabbits don't actually need bedding, just a soft surface that isn't wire or their litter box (if you use one) to lie on and nap. You can use hay or straw if you want, both are safe, but not really needed.

Question? I bought a bale of hay from a local feed store who got it from a local farm. I don't know if it's "Timothy" hay or not and when I asked she said it's just hay. It's only $8 per bale, vs the Oxbow version of Timothy which is over $50. I don't know a lot about hay, so do you think the "typical" hay is timothy or at least ok to use for my bunnies and guinea pigs?

Latest posts

Back