Hay???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn wrote:
...you made a general statement that rabbits that eat theirown feces will get Coccidiosis.... As pointed out over and over again,the infection/parasite must be there first in order for the rabbit toget Coccidiosis.

...page 212 does not support your statement and you have not pointed out something that we haven't already.

First you say/infer that we don't know the difference between feces andcecotropes, now you're mixing apples and oranges again by making astatement on how the disease is contracted, then pointing out facts onhow to control it....

-Carolyn

I don't have anything to add to those very succinct conclusions.

Buck

Very well,

carolyn. That's your opinion and what I stated was mine and I stillstand by it. Go back and read the whole website which I placed in myoriginal post and perhaps it will become more understandable to you.Raed it with an open mind. I realize that that may be hardto do sinceyou are so against any opinion which I have ever posted on YOUR forum.So sorry that I upset you but what I posted is the TRUTH!Have a GREAT DAY! Why would you want to risk placing your rabbits atrisk for infection when it can be so easily avoided?

Dennis,C.V.R.

BunnyLover wrote:
What arewe going to do with youguys?! ?

It's very clear as to what we will do with one of us should thisinsulting and rudeness continue. ?Many of us can have differences ofopinions and not have this kind of nonsense going on.

Dennis is wrong and I'm not going to stand by and let him state 'facts'that aren't facts.? Dennis is insulting, rude, self-righteous, and hebrings this board down as evidenced in our archives. The only person weever have any problems with is him.

These things are the exact reasons why he's been banned on so manyother rabbitboards.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm sorry the way that came out. I completely agree with you and Buck, what you are saying just makes sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is is ok to leave the hay on the cage floor? My bunnies won't eat itout of a hay rack. Believe me I've tried to get them to, they somehowknock the rack down and pull the hay out.

Lissa

Hi Lissa,

Personally, I would not suggest putting hay on the floor. Having acompletely healthy rabbit, if the rabbit urinates on the hay and thehay is not removed, it could quickly become moldy. If the rabbit eatsthat hay, it will get very sick.

You've probably got more than you wished to know in this post about Coccidiosis, so I won't even go there.

-Carolyn

I'm very careful about removing any dirty hay andkeeping the hay out of their bathroom area, but I want to keep themhealthy. So what would you suggest I put the hay in? Oh I've also triedhanging the hay rack from the top of the cage but they still won't eatfrom it. Grrrrr!!!

Lissa

HankHanky wrote:
Very well,

Go back and read the whole website which I placed in my original postand... Raed it with an open mind. I realize that that may be hardto dosince you are so against any opinion which I have ever posted on YOURforum. So sorry that I upset you but what I posted is theTRUTH! Have a GREAT DAY! Why would you want to risk placingyour rabbits at risk for infection when it can be so easily avoided?

Dennis,C.V.R.

Dennis, that simply is not so. Noone has ever beenagainst any opinionyou have posted, though it may seem likethat to you, as you seem to exaggerate any disagreement with you intosome kind of paranoidal contest, or battle of wits, that no one elsewants, or is interested in engaging in.Your toneand tenurehas become somewhat of a bore, which youfail to recognize, unfortunately.

Buck

BunnyLover wrote:
I'm very careful about removing any dirty hay and keeping thehay out of their bathroom area, but I want to keep them healthy. Sowhat would you suggest I put the hay in? Oh I've also tried hanging thehay rack from the top of the cage but they still won't eat from it.Grrrrr!!!

Lissa

Hi Lissa, :)

What I've seen Buck Jones do with his rabbit hay racks is he drills ahole in them if they have a flat back and he wraps them onto the cageso that they can't remove them. Believe me, after having bunnysat forhis Missy, she would fight that hay rack like there was no tomorrow.She couldn't get it down though and eventually, if she wanted hay,she'd have to eat from the rack. I'd have to clean up the floor of thehay that dropped out of it, but that's to be expected.

I'd get a good piece of wire and brace the hayrack to the cage so that she couldn't budge it.

I hope that helps and works if you try it. It was a pain to take it onand off, but it sure saved a lot of hay being wasted, worry about thehay being ingested by her, and keeping the place clean.

-Carolyn

about hay: those of us who live in colderclimates use it, as was mentioned in the sleeping box only, as that'sthe closed off portion. A GOOD bunny (unlike someone namedbubby....:p) will keep his "nest" clean.

Also, I use straw and not hay. They will chew it and toss itaround when it's fresh, but they don't actually eat it because itdoesn't really have "food value".

Ok, this is shocking...but I often leave Fenwick's box without cleaningfor up to six months. Because he keeps it spotless! I avoid stirring upmore dust when possible because of his nose.

so listen up Bubby, you little furry delinquent....NO MORE POOPING INBOX! (yeah, like he ever listens...) Oh well, Fen used to make a messtoo, then he got smart.

Also, some of my buns are more prone to sore hocks and rub sores, so Iwill scatter a thin layer of hay on the wire when it gets bad. Then Ijust take out the yucky wet stuff as needed, and the poop just shakeson through. That was more of an issue with a mini rex I had (I'm sureyou all with rexes understand!). Lops and Pals have the furriest feet!

Rose

That was funny and informative. Thanks Rose.

-Carolyn

you're welcome...

oh yeah--I meant to ask, Carolyn, why some of your posts pop up withlots of ?'s in odd places....I think I've only seen it in yours.

Idle curiosity! ;)

Rose

Hi Rose,

It is annoying, isn't it? I'll have to bug the webmaster about that. Hetells me it's because of the browser I'm using, but I'm not sure that'squite right as others use MSN and Internet Explorer. Don't know why ithappens, but I'll check with the techie's I know as well. I've seen itin some of Buck's posts too.

Thanks for calling it to my attention again because I don't see it fromhere. I'm not sure of the level of expertise by the webmaster here, butI'll try to get him to fix it.

-Carolyn

i am torn on thiscontorversy what i do with my rabibts (one has a wire cage the other 2 have a flat bottom) until ican get another cage i line her cage with cardboard toprevent sore hock and sweep it out 2 times a dayhay is always in a hay feeder (which she fishts tooth andnail.......her nickname is bunny with an attitude) i then put beddingin her bed...sometimes she will drag some hay into the beddingarea but she is content on that and there is no urine orfeces to worry about........also i clean there cages spotlesseveryother day.......so as not to have any probs........i have gottenalot of great advice hear and hate to see anyone beingnegative on any subject cause most of us are hearto learn by others who have more experience...........i think im doinga good job at being new to bunny raising i hope tocontinue to come to the forum to read and enjoy and learn evenmore.....i take all or ur advice seriously cause eventho i have only had my oldest bun for 4 mths iwould be lost without him.............thanksall and please dont fight....Donna

beans_mommy,

Best to err on the side of not lining the cage with hay. That said,please re-read rabbitgirl's reply. She makes some interesting points.You know about issues of mold and Coccidiosis, and it sounds as if youare very on top of the situation.

As for sore hocks, query Pamnock as to what she uses. It's some type ofa rubber pad that can drain, I'm guessing, that does give the rabbitssuseptible to sore hocks the resting area they need. Some folks alsouse cardboard for their rabbit's resting place.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, when youtalk about Buck's hay racks, are they like the ones in a horse stallwhere you just refill from the top? I'm not sure I'm getting a clearpicture because you said something about being a pain to take on andoff. I saw a photo in one of the posts of a little hay rack thatwhomever had it got at tractor supply, but when I went they no longerhad them. I just fill Sebastian's crock daily with hay just as I do hispellets, but was thinking there would be benefits to being able to putmore in at once...

Hi RaspberrySwirl,

Buck's hay racks have a sheet of metal on the back panel and on thebottom. He drills two holes. One on each side of the back panel ofmetal. He takes a wire and wraps it and twists it to the cage so thatit has a tight fit. He does this on the left side and the right side ofthe hay rack.

You don't have to have that sort of hayrack to make it work for you.Take a page from Buck's book and customize it to fit the hayrack youpresently use or purchase. Buck's used cardboard boxes as hayracks.

Use wire to firmly secure the hayrack so the little rascals won't have a hissy fit and be able to rip it off the wall.

:)

-Carolyn

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Carolyn, when you talk aboutBuck's hay racks, are they like the ones in a horse stall where youjust refill from the top? I'm not sure I'm getting a clear picturebecause you said something about being a pain to take on andoff....

Standard sheet metal hay rack that is designed to "hang" outside thecage and the buns pull the hay through the cage wires. Ifound they were messy, so I drill a hole in the cornertop ofeach side of the rack. Mallable wire is run through the holeslaterally and then "hooked" tightly over the cage wires.

Ialso use some standard fence wire, cut to fit the "mouth" ofthe rack, and drill locating holes appropriately, attach fence wire tothe mouth, and,then hang the rack on the inside of the cagewith its back to the wire, and the fence wire facing thebun. Due to its inside location, very littleresidue will fall outside the cage.

I alsoattach a plexiglas sheet to the end of the cage wherethe rack is located. There is virtually no mess on the floorof the room, anymore and bun(s) cannot pull it from its wired onlocation.

Retangular boxes, along the order of a saran wrap box, or some suchsimilar container, make excellent temporary hay racks, which can beeaten, themselves. Dollar stores often carry various types ofracks that can easily be wired to the cage and/or otherwise modified tomake excellent hay racks.

I prefer the sheet metal type because three sides areenclosed. With my modifications they seem to work mostexcellently.

Buck

Latest posts

Back