Hay Types

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some orchard now see if I can find oat hay locally.

I do hope you checked the library, lots of great hay links and posts.

Hay: All About it

You may do well to serve up some fresh grass as well. It's very good for the teeth.

Pipp has managed to keep her molar spurs in check for months without any hay (the stinker won't eat it) or grass (I buy her tray of cat grass and she immediately just goes for the seeds).

I've been told to that a variety ofshapes will make a difference, the trick is to get them chewing in a variety ofdirections.

She almost had to go in for surgery last month, but I stepped up her diet by giving her more chewy things -- a huge variety of veggies including hard parts like the kale stems as well as the kale, stemmy carrot tops andparsley,broccoli stems, several kinds of lettuces, choys, cabbages. etc. (She was even getting three different shapes of pellets).

I think giving her a few sunflower seeds every day helpedthe most, though.

I also finally got her nibbling on an apple tree branch. :)

Which reminds me, rabbits can probably handle straw better than sheep -- they do naturally eat trees. ;) I know straw can damage their eyes, etc, which is why they're always trimming it, but it is a good non-fattening distraction and provides warm bedding.

My bunnies actually like the brown bits inthe hay better than the green leafy stuff. And at least one prefers the stems in general over the leaf.

I've got three kinds of hay here now (thanks Dawn!), I think a timothy first cut (stemmy and yellow), second cut (nice and green) and a bit bag of bluegrass (it really is blue!). And I'm still hoping to find some local orchard hay. ;)

I still can't imagine buying bags for my guys -- they'd go through a baga day. :shock:

I STRONGLYrecommend that bunny neighbours unite and go in on transporting hay by the bale.

sas :)

I wouldn't mind helping someone transport a bale...I do have three tack & feed placese near me, after all!

But...it wouldn't be on a share-the-bale basis, it would be a "here's yer bale...enjoy!" type thing, as we go through one every two months...we need all the hay we can get around here! :D

Pipp wrote:
I STRONGLYrecommend that bunny neighbours unite and go in on transporting hay by the bale.

sas :)

Ugh make it two. Wyatt's front teeth were alittle long and had to be filed. :?All ok now. She said tokeep an eye on him and to feed him like Dingo. Cept he won't get alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back