Hay rack/litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it would work since the bottom portion doesn't have enough depth to hold enough litter.

The other problem is that it is only 9" from front to back which is much too narrow (even if it were 22" side to side). Still, it was creative thinking to consider it for a litter box.

I just use a sterilite storage bin from Wal-Mart -- super cheap. I put the hay directly in the litter box. But you can see other alternative "hay rack" ideas here.

upload_2019-3-29_16-48-22.png

Thanks. I didnt notice the inside height. I saw the 13" on the outside and was like great. I really like the plastic bag dispenser from the link. I'm really hoping to find something that hangs to try to cut down on hay waste. I'm assuming the bun we adopt likely won't be litter trained. Is it better to train them with it piled like that or hanging?

They like to potty while they graze. Whether they prefer to graze at what's under their nose or up in a rack is up to the rabbit I suppose. There will always be wasted hay regardless of how it is fed. They like to pick through it. They also like it better when it is first refreshed. Any hay that sits in the cage (rack or otherwise) often loses its appeal somehow (at least for most rabbits) after so many hours. Something about adding it new (even though it is from the same source) will entice them to eat more.

I buy hay by the bale (some get it by the half bale) to save tremendously on hay costs. One of those big bales of hay costs me around $15 (varies depending on where you live). I am overly generous and use it in the litter box with frequent refreshes. It still would last me 8 months with two rabbits. So $15 over 8 months is just dirt cheap.
upload_2019-3-29_20-47-15.png

If you get your rabbit from a rabbit rescue (highly recommended for a first time owner), they are not only fixed already (savings you a bundle in vet fees) but are often litter trained too. That same sight has a section on "choosing your first bunny" and explains why it is not advised to get a baby for a first rabbit.

If you get your rabbit from a rabbit rescue (highly recommended for a first time owner), they are not only fixed already (savings you a bundle in vet fees) but are often litter trained too. That same sight has a section on "choosing your first bunny" and explains why it is not advised to get a baby for a first rabbit

This was 100% my thought as well. The bun we are hoping to get/have our eyes on is fixed and he has started litter training, I just want to make sure we have the perfect home for him.

Thanks for your help. Where did you find the hay by the bale?

Latest posts

Back