Hay feeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppybunn

Reaction score
Is there really any good hay feeders for cage rabbits, they all are to small or not sturdy, not safe anyone have good experiences with any?

The options may depend on the size of the cage. Cage bars are typically too small to make it practical to hang a feeder on the outside of a wired cage because the small space between the cage bars makes it too difficult to access the hay (not impossible, just more difficult which makes them eat less). So the size of the cage may limit options if certain hay feeders would take up too much space.

If their litter boxes are large enough, the hay could go directly into the litter pan.

It is more natural for bunnies to eat hay from the floor. You want to make it as easy as possible for them eat lots of hay. Most hay feeder designs are such that bunny has to reach up to get the hay out and that means dust gets into their eyes and nose. I don't use hay feeders although this one sometimes has the attitude that stolen hay tastes sweeter: 1612518868363.png1612518868363.png

We tried a metal hanger and he would just pull it off the cage.
I've heard better things about hay bags etc
Or using a tote and cutting a hole in the end or side for them to pull hay from.

A simple hay feeder can be made in minutes out of a cardboard box and bamboo skewers. Simply cut a large window in the side of the box, as shown, and slip the skewers into the corrugations. The only tool needed is a sharp knife.

We have more elaborate ones made of wood; but, these work just as well. That said, we have two buns that ignore any kind of upright feeder and take their hay out of toilet tissue tubes laid on the floor. In fact, neither one of them was really very big "into" hay until we started serving it that way.

I replace the hay in the "TP" feeders every other day. The buns like it fresh. The old hay doesn't go to waste because we give it to our other rabbits that use the upright feeders. Feeder_4412.jpg

A simple hay feeder can be made in minutes out of a cardboard box and bamboo skewers. Simply cut a large window in the side of the box, as shown, and slip the skewers into the corrugations. The only tool needed is a sharp knife.

We have more elaborate ones made of wood; but, these work just as well. That said, we have two buns that ignore any kind of upright feeder and take their hay out of toilet tissue tubes laid on the floor. In fact, neither one of them was really very big "into" hay until we started serving it that way.

I replace the hay in the "TP" feeders every other day. The buns like it fresh. The old hay doesn't go to waste because we give it to our other rabbits that use the upright feeders. View attachment 52968
Gorgeous bunnies!

Back