having trouble bonding with our new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stassy

Reaction score
We got a beautiful six month old bunny a week ago. He is litter trained and wasn't caged. He was raised around three big dogs and other animals. He was very social. Jumped onto the couch to visit and was always around the people. :nerves1Not so at our house. We have tried to tempt him with treats, but he stays under the couch a lot of the time. He does run around the house in the morning and evening but not a lot of the other time. We have a cat that he chases or ignores and a dog that ignores him. I am thinking of putting him in his cage at night and then cuddling with him each morning and night a little to get him used to it. Any suggestions?

We do have a daughter that loves to run and jump and a hyper dog but we limit the bouncing around for the most part to other rooms than where the bunny is. He is very well trained and is adorable.:cry1:
Stassy

Welcome to the forum! What kind of bun do you have? A picture will do if you don't know, maybe we can help you figure the breed and age out?

Changes in environment will come with different "smells". A bun will definitely freak out just for that reason alone, let alone a different "space". So, yes, that sounds normal for the bun, but I would try to let him have as many things that smell like him very close to him. Even if it has to be something from his litter pan. It will serioulsly help, I know that sounds gross, but buns hate change and scent change is a big one.

Best of luck, let us know!:)

HELLO and welcome!

sorry i dont have any advice about bonding but... maybe if you start a new thread at the general rabbit chat section.

again WELCOME!

-Prisca x

Hello and welcome to the forum:welcome1

It sounds like he is still adjusting to his new home and his new family. A week really isn't that long. He may have picked under the couch as his secure area and may start to venture out more as he adjusts to his new home. Also, he may just have certain times of the day when he is more active. My rabbit is most active in the morning and evening but just chills out during the middle of the day.

There are some great articles in the library about bonding with your bunny. I think some one on one time like you suggested will really help.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

Thanks. Actually he is starting to come out and see us more. He even lets us pet him at times. I just figured that it was like when you get a six month cat or dog. They are your friend right away. Just knowing it takes time helps, and we are seeing some relaxing on his part. Thanks for the articles I will check them out.
Stassy

I am going to move this to the nutrition and behavior section.

A warm welcome to the forum! :) Lukas is probably still getting used to you. Looking forward to hearing more!

Those articles helped a ton. Now I keep telling my husband what Lukas's behavior means. He seems to be really happy in our home and in the past couple of days, he comes right up to my daughter and I. Still not into my husband though. Lukas goes into his office at the other end of the house and poops all over. We move the litterbox there and he poops somewhere else. In the living room he has a litter box and always goes in it.

He is so sweet. Him and my cat play together. My dog loves him. He bonded to the animals before he bonded to us. Now that I see him coming out of his shell, I know it will get better and better.
Stacey

I foster bunnies and most who come here have some kind if social issue. They always seem to breakthrough their issues with the dog before me. Than again I have a special dog. We refer to her as a goodwill ambasador.

*pardon spelling. On my iPod.*

Latest posts

Back