Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
Ok,
I was wondering if any of you have rabbit harnesses. I want to get one for my rabbit and was wondering if anyone could post pics or give me advice of what type is the best??

Anything will work

thanks,
Ashley

The best kind of harness is an H style one. These have a strap that goes around the neck, one that goes around the chest and they are connected along with back. The ring for the leash is either in the middle or at the bottom (toward the tail) of the piece along the back. They are adjustable so you an get the right fit for your rabbit, they also come in different sizes. While you can find some ones that are specifically sold for rabbits, cat ones tend to be a bit cheaper and easier to get. H harnesses are the safest to use.
harnesses8.jpg

Other kinds (Figure 8) can tighten while on the rabbit (if they were to pull on the leash or something) which can strangle them. Vest types tend to be hard to get adjusted right and the velcro can be covered in fur which makes it useless, if you do get one make sure there are clips on both the neck and chest strap. The step in ones don't fit rabbits well and they can easily slip out of it. The dog harnesses that have a strap the goes under the belly (like an H but with an extra strap) also tend to not fit well as the neck part has to slip over the head, rabbits tend to get paws caught in these ones.

None of my buns will tolerate a harness.
I tried several kinds.

However...

IMO......I found the vest type was easy and safer to use than the "H" type.

83_2.JPG

My bunnies didn't like them.. MILU got to go out some times with it but he didn't like it, so in the end I let him walk in the garden without a harness, he never escaped or run too fast without the harness...

I prefer an H-style harness.
That vest one comes undone easily as it's done up with velcro and then a clasp, but the velcro is the main thing holding your rabbit in, so once it comes undone, they can easily slip out of it. I have one, but I don't use it.

Emily

Hi, just be careful your rabbit doesn't chew at it. We had one for Buttercup when he was young. He had it chewed off and out of it within 5 minutes of putting it on him. We tried a second one, same thing so we just didn't bother.

I also found that the could be dangerous if the bunny got frightened and took off running, they could really hurt themselves.

I'd advise to forget using them, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Susan

:)

I just bought one for Layla today.. she was fine on it until she wanted to get back in her cage and couldn't get in and started sprinting and falling over until I unclipped her.. I left it a bit loose on her though so she wouldn't feel too constricted. Anyone have tips on getting them used to it?

Screenshot2011-11-13at92225PM.png

For the first little while I just let them run around with it on without the leash. The harness generally they don't mind, it's the pressure of the leash so they need to have it introduced slowly.

Just let Layla have some time when she just has the harness on, then gradually introduce the leash. She should get used to it fairly quickly.

You should be able to fit 1-2 fingers between her and the harness.

What a cute bunny! I tried one on my Cinder and she couldn't stand it. Now I just have to follow her around the yeard until she allows me to scoop her up.

As someone else pointed out, be careful with the mesh vest harnesses. They usually are held closed with velcro, which can come undone VERY easily. Only use a harness that has actual clasps (like a dog's collar).

I tried a vest one for my old bunny... Didn't fit at all, too big for my 3lb turdlet! However the one I tried had buckels like anormal harness as well as the velcro and thats part of why it didn't fit....

House029.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3951263&lmdn=Cat+Collars,+Tags+&+Leashes These fit perfectly.

I prefer the harnesses that have the strap that runs between the 2 front legs on the chest. It brings the neck line down lower and allows for more safety if something happens and your bunny freaks out, plus when you size them properly it actually sits on the shoulders so if your bun tries to run, no neck pressure.

House039.jpg

Watermelons-your bunnies are way too adorable! *jealous*

As for harnesses, the one Jim recomended above also is really good. we've had several of that exact one (different sizes as our buns grew up) If you use a harness from a young age on, they probably won't mind them so much. Some bunnies hate them, some tolerate it. Remember: Never leave the harness on though once done 'walking' / 'hopping' the bunny. They'll chew them all up and it just isn't safe to leave it on.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751755
They are good safe harnesses, if they fit properly. And the only ones that should be looked at should have velcro AND clips to be secure. But because they have both, there isnt too too much room for adjustment which can be an issue. But because their so soft their easier to slip out of regardless.

Theres pros and cons of each harness. Just choose what works best for your situation and bunny :)

My rabbits HATED the leash... here's some pics: they looked adorable, but as you will see it totally flopped.

At first we just put the harness. And after pouting and panting for 30 min they were ok with it on...

388150_258740894177093_100001235544897_835726_1418024477_n.jpg

377800_258740937510422_100001235544897_835728_1541372004_n.jpg

374954_258740960843753_100001235544897_835729_1596660174_n.jpg

Then after an hour or so... we added the leash. NOPE they didn't like. So i'm not gonna force them, they are very independent bunnies. :)

305364_258741004177082_100001235544897_835731_455306539_n.jpg
poor MoCho, every time I see this pic it makes me laugh though. We couldn't get her to budge.

297418_258741087510407_100001235544897_835734_245185284_n.jpg

^^They didn't like it because you're not supposed to tug on it and drag the rabbit like you're doing in the 2nd to last picture. ;)

You don't walk the rabbits; they walk you, just with the safety of the harness. You can teach them that a light tug means to steer away from a certain thing, or what I do is walk behind them and guide them with my feet. My feet never touch them, they just stay on either side of the rabbit and encourage it to go a certain way. ;)

Emily

Here is Paddy O'Hara in her harness. She is 1.5 years and I started with the harness right after I had her spayed. I can take her anywhere. She hops along side the dog, of course at bunny pace always on the lookout for hawks around corners. She still does not like to wear the harness and holds a grudge unless I have her favorite treats but she lets me put it on her now. I only have it on her when we are going to be walking. I do not allow her to wear any other time becauseshe will chew it off and I wanted her to know why she was wearing it. As soon as I put in on her she gets to walk either outside or where ever we are going that day. Since she is 18 pounds, I had to buy a dog harness. The harness that I use works well. The part that goes over the head is really easy to loosen and then tighten once I get it past those ears. The part that goes around the body actually is a seperate which usually makes it easy to put on. I am on the lookout for a pink harness for cancer awarness since we volunteer at the Vanderbilt cancer center. I just can't find the style I like in pink
13413_151128_300000001.jpg

Be super careful that the leash doesn't get wrapped around the bunny's legs. That is how Patches broke his leg. He was walking in the yard and the neighbor's dog started barking next door. He panicked and jumped away. It was a nasty break, a green stick "twisted" fracture.

Latest posts

Back