Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
83_2.JPG

I just got an older rabbit who came with this type of harness. He hates it and slips out of it in about 5 minutes. Its easier almost easier to supervise him when hes outside. We have a fenced yard so I usually sit outside and read while he hops around.

Using a rabbit harness is fine as long as you know exactly how to go about using it and you have patience. Unfortunately if a rabbit has a bad experience using a harness then you will have a very hard time getting it to trust it again.

First of all you must make sure your rabbit trusts YOU and will happily be handled without being stressed out. There are figure of 8 harnesses you can buy over here but I prefer the H shaped ones as many people here have suggested already.

First of all you should get your rabbits scent on the harness, this is something that is often overlooked (and a reason why if you have more than one bun you should buy a harness each - how would you like to wear a t-shirt with your friends smell all over it?! :p) Let him see it but never let him nibble it.

I find the best time to put on the harness the first time is when your rabbits mind is elsewhere - usually eating.
Just put the harness on without the leash and let him get used to this, do a few sessions of this for at least a week before you even think about putting the leash on. Get him moving around in it just for a short sessions and give plenty of encouragement to stop him thinking of picking up bad habits (trying to get it off!) gradually increase the amount of time you keep the harness on and make sure you keep every session a positive experience.

Finally when it comes to clipping the leash on, make sure you follow your bun - never take him for a walk unless you have him trained to come when called. If you are willing to be patient and do these things then you should have a pretty tolerant bun when it comes to putting a harness on.

conformation?
and are holland lops a good bunny as a pet
\like to love, and is active and those traits

Latest posts

Back