Handling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukichan

Reaction score
Secondly, When we take them out we open the cage door and put out their little rug and sit around it as to monitor them. I got d'arcy to let me pet him once the other day, but I haven't been able to repeat it. They are curious and not afraid when they come out and they explore around and yesterday d'arcy was climbing on my leg, but I haven't had much success with bailey who is still nervous. He frequently goes back into his cage, though d'arcy goes in from time to time to touch base, he stays out most of the time and will come up to us and eat carrot from our hand. Bailey won't eat the carrot, and he won't come too close. This is becoming problematic because when I have to clean the cage I have to pick them up and put them in the spare cage and they make this a challenge. I don't completely understand because after we let them out for a little while they both do binkies so I assume they are happy.... Any suggestions to how to continue to socialize them to us? And any suggestions on being able to pick them up?
:rabbithop

Instead of just moving them into the spare cage, each time you have a hold of one put him on your chest with feet against you, support the bottom with one hand and hold the back with the other. Hold firmly till he calms down. Spent several minutes petting and stroking him before moving him into the spare cage.

Once I am holding them I do pet them and calm them before I move them into the spare cage, but I still have a hard time trying to get them to let me pick them up. Its always a case of me waiting and then catching them, because if they think I am going to pick them up, they will run away. However, they are well behaved when they are held, they are very calm and don't seem to take too long to warm up.

We have three lionheads and they are funny. They did the same sort of thing...the easiest way we got them to interact with us...we ignored them. Completely. LOL

We would go in and let them out for their run and just sit or lie down on the floor with them and read a book or magazine. We wouldn't try to pet them or play with them...It took about 2-3 days and they got a little aggravated and came to see what we were doing that was more important...lol...they hated not knowing what we were up to...finally it became a problem to read as we had a rabbit standing on the book or eating our magazine on us!

All of our lionheads have been slow to warm up...and the one girl we have is an absolute firecracker now! Just persevere and keep with the treats but not too many! They'll come around!:)

Danielle

Latest posts

Back