Handling rabbits that don't like to be picked up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaWD

Reaction score
I have 4 indoor rabbits and I find they do not like to be picked up, but I feel I should be brushing them regularly to help prevent GI stasis. How do we work with them to get them more amenable to being handled? I would be happy to leave them be except I worry about their health.

My Lawrence needs brushing due to him being a Lionhead, and constantly shedding! 😂 😂

I offer treats while brushing, and alternate between petting with my hand and using the brush. He's found that once he stops fighting it, he actually enjoys it and will purr non-stop.

But with this, I don't pick him up. He will lay and let me pet him... this may not be an option for you!

I also just recently got him a brush with the flexible rubber base and tines (?) that have the little plastic cap on them. I feel it's much more comfortable for him than his old brush.

brush.jpg

Similar to this one.

No need to pick them up to groom them. Just pet and/or brush them while they are lounging about. A slightly damp hand will remove loose fur just from petting. During a shed, your hand doesn't need to be damp. Just pet and "capture" loose hair between the length of your fingers.

My girl hates being brushed, she doesn't even like me petting her, and I don't pick her up. Slick flooring helps a lot, I put one hand on her head to control her, and go to work with the other. Just holding the head down and blocking her from going forward, sometimes that's quite a rodeo :D. Or I stuff her between my legs when I knee on the floor and pluck fistfulls of fur from her rear. Sometimes it helps to give her some hay so she can bite into something other than my hand or clothes.
I use a brush too, petting fur off even with wet hands doesn't amount to much, that doesn't even make a dent, just leaves me covered in fur.

Whatever you do, do it consequently and with confidence, no discussion or apologies, what needs to be done gets done. And most important: The treat right afterward, and a cuddle if your rabit allows it.

Back