Grunting...good and bad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosebunny

Reaction score
My Alona just grunted at me this morning 2x in a very loud way!:shock: I think I might have disturbed her cage while she was sleeping. She also has 'happy' grunts. :) This bunny is SO different in temperment from my lop:rip:Thor. This bun will not back down; she has a sort of "alpha" personality.

Has she been spayed? It sounds like she is definitely one of the vocal buns and she is desperate to communicate with you, so hopefully she feels you are listening.

Yes, oh yes..I am listening. I just want to make sure I am interpreting her communication the proper way. (I know her low, soft grunting appears to be a 'happy' grunt, and, sometimes her louder, shorter grunts may mean.."back off!"), but, I was really taken aback by this morning's 'double (loud) grunt': my own dear rabbit! I must change my behaviour to her reaction. :ponder:

Lol. My Pippin is a very quiet bunny, but Benji is very vocal! He makes little honking sounds when he's happy etc. or when he wants a groom. But when I try to take his bowls out his hutch or something, sometimes he gives me a big grunt, and pushes me with his paws and rubs his nose on me. He's never shown any kind of...aggression towards me (they are both so so good natured and gentle) , but I think he likes his space! So I respect that (meaning while he's not looking or not in the room I quickly whisk his bowl away to fill it LOL).

:hug:I'm so happy there are other bunny owners who have experienced similar 'grunts'. I am not sure if I've experienced a 'honk'-ing sound, but, I think my husband has, with Alona. Last night, was the first time I've heard her 'squeak'. It was quiet...definitely NOT the squeak (or squeal) you hear when they are terribly frightened. This was an abrupt squeak (it did remind me of a piggy). Thanks for the reply!

My guy bun makes happy grunts with little squeaks when I feed him, but he also makes the "I'm angry" grunt if I do something wrong. He makes a similar noise when he charges my face (when I am laying on the floor). He runs up to me making that horrid noise, then stops about an inch from my face and starts licking it. He's a weird one...

Latest posts

Back