grunting bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerFace

Reaction score
Hey so my bunny is a 1 year old male not neutered yet but he is grunting kind of, i dont know how to explain it but when he is running i can hear a very guiet grunt kind of like a pig or something i know it sounds stupid but i was wo dering if any other bunnies do this or if i should tske him to the vet, he has been dooing this for qukte a while, i just never thought anything about it but always best to be sure i guess.

My free range house bunny is an intact, 3yo male, about 10lbs, best pet I can dream of.
I do hear a lot of strange noises from him, grunting included.

Anyway, be sure it's not laboured breathing due to some infection, check for any snot or if it stops when you call him.

My bunny grunts when she is exploring or running excited to see me, so it could be perfectly normal if that is whats happening :) like preitler said, just make sure it isn’t breathing difficulty but is a deliberate noise. If it is a breathing abnomarlity you will probably also hear some sounds when he is sleeping and especially if he lays down after intense exercise.
But hopefully it’s just an interested exploring sound :)

Rabbits will also grunt when they are displeased. If they don't like something you are doing, they may grunt. It can be a warning before lunging as well.

My current bun will grunt if I have my hand in his cage to, say, move a toy, or add one.

I have an intact male Angora bun, about 6 years old. He grunts when he's excited or wants attention. It seems to correlate most often with courtship-type behaviors -- circling and figure-eights around my feet or humping his stuffed-toy "girlfriend." I translate it as a bunny version of "Hey, babe." He makes different grunting sounds when annoyed. There's a tonal difference that you'll pick up on before long.

Latest posts

Back