Grow your own Veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieR

Reaction score
Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right place...?

Does anyone have any experience with growing your own bunny veggies?

I live in the UK - so was thinking of buying a little green house that I saw in one of our bargain stores to keep the plants from the weather!

BUT I don't have a clue where to start or what with? Where do I get seeds from that i know are safe?

I have never done gardening in my life so anything to get me started would be good.

Thanks!

Jess

Ive always just gotten my seeds from the dollar store... 4 packs for 1$... if it grows it grows, if not, im not out any cash really. Sometimes hesitant with pre-grown plants as you don't know what fertilizers have been used up to this point.

We have 4 boxes on the terrasse with rucola carrots (he only want the tops) dill and parsley
We have used seeds I brought in a supermaked.

I live in Denmark so we have kind of the same weather. You can still get them to grow it takes about a mounth.

herbs are good for growing as most buns like them and from my experience they are easy to grow. I have grown basil, thyme, flat leaf and curly leaf parsley, rosemary and thyme.

An easy way to tell if the seeds you buy are good is to germinate them inside. This is best done with larger seeds. Get a plastic or glass container. Dampen some paper towels and cover the bottom inside of the container. Lay seeds out on the paper towel. Cover the seeds with a few more damp paper towels. Cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and place in a dark location. Check the seeds daily making sure the paper towels remain damp. Usually it only takes 2 to 4 days for the seeds to begin to sprout roots depending on the temp where the seeds are kept. Ant that grow roots can be planted and soil and should do well. If the majority of the seeds germinate they are good seeds if few do then the seeds are not that good.

Yes! My rabbit loves home grown veggies. I am in California, and in the fall/winter, I grow kale, arugula, and broccoli. She loves kale, arugula, and I feed her the broccoli leaves (not the broccoli itself). They are her favorites.

She is very picky- I would love her to eat the herbs cilantro, basil and parsley, but she will not have any part of it. Those can be grown in summer here. Be careful with any of the nightshade family (eggplant, tomato, potato). All parts except the fruits are toxic to all/most mammals.

I love growing things for my Ash. So far I've only grown him wheat grass so I can't help with any other veggies but I'll be as detailed as possible on the planting process.

Well what I first did was find a nice wide pot. You could probably use a big tray too. Anyway, a big 5 inch deep tray would probably work very nicely. So what you do is fill up the tray with some soil. You can get some soil from your back yard or most dollar stores will sell potting soil. Just get enough to fill your tray. So what you do is pour the soil in the tray and spread it out. Than get some wheat grass seeds (grain seeds) and just spread a bunch on the tray and just spread them over the tray with your hands. You don't even have to bury them under the soil. And than what you do is just mist the seeds on the soil. Just pour very little water all over them, just enough to moisten them. And than everyday water the seeds a little and soon you should see some sprouts coming out of the seeds. Once you see some sprouts you should start to give the plants more water. And soon after a couple weeks they should be ready for harvest. Just get some scissors and slice them as close to the soil as possible. If you want you can even water them again and a few weeks later those same stalks may regrow. We regrew ours but the next batch wasn't as healthy. Oh and I just wanted to add that if you want I think you can soak them in water the night before you plant them. It helps them sprout quicker.

Good luck with those veggies! :D

I seem to have lots of luck with Basil. It grows like crazy. In fact, I just came in from pinching a huge handful of it for my buns.

This year I planted 3 types of basil, including a purple basil.

I also have parsley growing, oregano and chocolate mint. But the oregano and choc mint don't grow fast enough to offer very often.

Most people have an easy time with mint too but I can't get any to grow :embarrassed:

Back