Grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit is almost 3 years old and is litter box trained he comes out of his cage and goes back as he pleases but because of his litter his hair under his tail gets matted and I need to trip his hair back some around that area but I'm not sure how any suggestions?

You could take him into the groomer, I think that would be the best way to do it the first time. While you do it you should watch closely an then you can do it yourself the next time.
Or you can buy a litter box from Petsmart that has a litter guard so that doesn't happen, that's what I use!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388293099.198574.jpg

I wasn't a fan of those corner boxes because of how small they are - my rabbits outgrew theirs by about three months old. I definitely wouldn't use one for a pair of rabbits; for a single rabbit, it depends on whether they can keep their butt in the box when they pee :p

Here's a thread with instructions on how to make a grid for ANY litter box:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 - great litter box system; I highly recommend the grid even if you don't want to build the whole thing (check 1/3 of the way down the first page)

Aww I love the corner box with a grate! But that's probably because I accidentally ordered the "jumbo" size before I got Mocha since I wasn't sure how big he was-- it turned out great because it fits in the x-pen just fine and allows him ample room to sit, loaf, or sprawl depending on his mood. It even has enough space for me to put hay in one corner if I want him to get some extra fiber.

I do agree that it would be too big to squeeze in two rabbits comfortably though, in case you ever decide to bond yours!

It even has enough space for me to put hay in one corner if I want him to get some extra fiber.

I may have misunderstood the way you worded that, but do you not provide hay for your rabbit 24/7? It sounded like that when I read that. A rabbit should have constant access to hay. Generally they should eat a volume of hay every day that is equal to their body size.

I may have misunderstood the way you worded that, but do you not provide hay for your rabbit 24/7? It sounded like that when I read that. A rabbit should have constant access to hay. Generally they should eat a volume of hay every day that is equal to their body size.

I have a DIY hay rack rigged up just above his litter box that's regularly filled with hay :) But sometimes he gets lazy about eating out of it so when I want to make sure he's eating enough hay, I add an extra big handful just below so he can eat from there if he wants-- kinda like offering both a water bottle and a dish.

My rabbit is a medium size rabbit I don't think he would fit in that size litter box. I'm wondering if he would be scared to use his litter box with something on it because he is very stubborn and picky haha. I wonder if I could use cotton bedding maybe that wouldn't stick to him as often?

I haven't heard of a rabbit being turned off from their litter box because of a grid being added to it - did you check out the link I gave earlier for how to make a grid for your existing litter box? :)

I would be wary of cotton bedding, as the fibers could cause an obstruction if he ate some of it for whatever reason.

Another possibility could be to top the litter with hay. I do this with my rabbits. They naturally 'go' while grazing anyway.
I like using large litter boxes that are comfortable. I put fresh hay on top about 2 or 3 times per day. (Don't worry, they won't eat soiled hay.) The urine will go down through the hay to the litter below. Even poos can work their way down.

The hay will keep feet dry and keep them out of mess (provided it is being topped off with fresh hay).

Here is how I set mine up:

litter set up.jpg

Back