Grooming a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley Rose

Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits and the all need to be cleaned. Neither of them have had a bath since January and I think that they should have a bath or something that cleans a rabbit. I have wiped my rabbits with wet wipes so that they wouldn't smell so bad. Should I give my rabbit a bath each year or each week? And should I brush them every week or should I skip a day and brush them?:bunnydance:

What are wet wipes? I'd be carefull in case that leaves something on the rabbit that it can lick off and make it ill.

Also why are your rabbits dirty? I have never bathed my girl and she is three years old now. Sometimes after digging in the garden she gets a messy bum from the mud but I just wait till it dries and gently comb the dirt out.

Someone with a bit more knowlege on this would be more help as I am pretty sure rabbits are usually terrified of water.

Can you give more details? Are the rabbits urine stained or sticky from urine? Have feces on them? Are you keeping the cages very clean? While most rabbits are very neat, there are some that are little piggies and love to soak themselves in urine.

I've had rabbits that loved baths (some rabbits even like to swim). I use a mild dishsoap and rinse well. The rabbit also needs to be dried well to avoid getting chilled.

There are also "dry shampoo" products that you can spray or wipe on the coat without having to rinse the product out. You can find dry shampoos at the pet store.

Pam

Rabbits don't need to be bathed like a dog would. Is there any reason why you want to give them a bath?

Rabbits should be brushed (Even by petting them to reomve some of the dead fur), espcially during molting.

What breed are your rabbits? Normal haired rabbits can be brushed once a week apart from when they are moulting when daily brushing helps get ride of the fur. Long haired rabbits needs brushing daily all year around.

Rabbits don't need to be bathed, it removes the oils from their coats that help keep them in good condition.

If your rabbits get's dirty then it's usually a result of a health or diet issue or the cage setup.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

I'm still wondering why you want to bathe them? Is it because you think it's something you have to do even when they don't seem dirty? Or is it because they are continually dirty?

no I don't want to bathe them for no reason, some times they smell really bad... here's baby scamper

Spring wrote:
Hmm. Rabbits shouldn't smell, so if they do there might be an underlyingproblem that's causing the smell.

You obviously haven't handled a lot of French Lops on a hot day -- enough to turn your stomach :shock:

Our little pet house bunny Princess often had a "skunky" smell from her scent glands.

Some bunnies are just more odoriferous than others, however, you are correct in pointing out that strong odor can indicate illness.

Pam

Nope, I don't think i've ever seen a french lop in person.. although I think from your description I'd smell them before I saw them!;)

I give my bunny a bath at least oncea week. ^_^

That is, if it's not too cold. :)

The vet taught me how to bathe a bunny and told me that I should bathe my precious bun at least twice a week. But I only give her baths on Sundays. :)

After all... she hates baths. She scratched me numerous times already by trying to escape. :p

Twice a week? Are you sure you're vet is rabbit savvy? Unless they have a major intestinal problem that give them dirty bottems, there is no reason to bathe them that often. Very bad for their skin.

Spring wrote:
Twice a week? Are you sure you're vet is rabbit savvy? Unless they have a major intestinal problem that give them dirty bottems, there is no reason to bathe them that often. Very bad for their skin.
I have to agree with that. It removes the essential oils from their coats and dries the hair and skin. :?I used to bathe my bunnies once a year because of allergies but I haven't done that in 2 years and none of mine have ever needed a bath.

I'd be very cautious bathing a rabbit, especially one that hates it. It's very stressful and actually quite dangerous. A rabbits fur si not meant to get wet and takes hours to dry,a slight breeze could be dangerous to the rabbit since it can chill them.

I believe Rinoa is from the Philippines. It's very possible that fly strike is more of a concern there, so if the vet has advised bathing, and the rabbit appears to tolerate it well, it may be well advised that she continues her current bathing regiment.

Pam

That could be true, I never thought of that. I'm not used to people from other areas outside of Canada, US, and Europe so I guess area specific problems could warrant a different approach. :)

Latest posts

Back