Grips for a slippery surface

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffee and Valentina

Reaction score
I've added a two level house for my buns enjoyment but the platforms are hard plastic - slippery. I need to adhere something to give the platforms a good grip but she'll eat whatever I add. So, I need some help creating a non slip surface that won't hurt her if she eats it. Ideas? Thank you.

Can you layer it with fleece/towels? or layer it it textured laminate flooring (the ones u can stick on the plastic)

I second the suggestion to layer it with a towel, or a fabric similar to what they use for a bath mat. Fleece is good but can be slick as well since the fabric is often quite light due to its synthetic nature.

Ikea has really cheap memory foam bath mats, you can cut and shape them, hopefully your buns don't eat them though, they are the most comfortable and natural on a buns feet.
my buns love their memory foam mat, I usually cover it with towel and fleece, coz their fur sticks on it like crazy! (easy to come off though) also coz my girl is disabled and has frequent accidents, I want to buy more once lockdown is over haha.

Ikea has really cheap memory foam bath mats, you can cut and shape them, hopefully your buns don't eat them though, they are the most comfortable and natural on a buns feet.
my buns love their memory foam mat, I usually cover it with towel and fleece, coz their fur sticks on it like crazy! (easy to come off though) also coz my girl is disabled and has frequent accidents, I want to buy more once lockdown is over haha.

I like the idea of memory foam mat. The foam gives the rabbit the kind of traction they really appreciate. As you suggest, it may not be the most durable but at least it's quite easy to replace as needed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have flannel over the plastic but there are two issues : it slips around and she is also nibbling on it. I like the bath mat idea but I know she'll chew on it. I've covered the slippery bottom with hay as a 'hay buffet' as well as a soft landing but the shelves require more thought. I'd send a pic but don't know how to size it so I can post it. 🙄

You may be able to use binder clips to keep the fleece tight on the shelves. That's what I use to keep the fleece in place in my hedgehog's cage.

When we had rats, we did the same thing. The rats also chewed the fleece so I knew I'd just have to replace it regularly. (kept an eye on Joann fleece fabric sales!) Wal-mart also often has some fleece for super cheap -- like in photo.

Attachments

• binder clips.jpg
    binder clips.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_9156.JPG
    100_9156.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have flannel over the plastic but there are two issues : it slips around and she is also nibbling on it. I like the bath mat idea but I know she'll chew on it. I've covered the slippery bottom with hay as a 'hay buffet' as well as a soft landing but the shelves require more thought. I'd send a pic but don't know how to size it so I can post it. 🙄

Can you upload it to an external website like Google Photos or WeTransfer and then we can have a look? You can also try using the Snipping Tool and save the screenshot, usually it's a smaller file size.

I got the photo to load 😀
This is just one part of her space; she has most of my apartment. You can see her in the hay. She only has 3 legs but she's a strong and determined girl.

Attachments

• DSC_0738~2.JPG
    DSC_0738~2.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 8
Does the underside of the shelves have a lip? I was wondering if a binder clip would be able to clip on. You'd probably need to use a 1" clip (or larger). But you could pull the fleece tight and use the clips so it won't slip or move.

Yay. I got the photo to work. Ideas?
If your only problem is that plastic platform I would simply drill holes in it or would use soldering iron for making holes.
Or I would place a piece of wood or a few wooden planks on top and would fix to platform with a couple of screws.

Making holes in hard plastic examples

Soldering iron would be easier if you've got one.

I would prefer covering with wood planks tbh just because she could also chew on them it would make her happy. Couldn't find any video on topic but think my idea is pretty clear

Last edited:
Back