Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently joined the site and figured I'd post an introduction.

Hi, my name is Amy. I've spent pretty much my entire life up until this point owning random small/exotic animals, but these are my first two rabbits.

I've had kit for around two and a half years now (since he was roughly 5 weeks). I found him on the side of the road walking home from school on my birthday. It was a sign. The universe knew that together we would be unstoppable!

Kit is a two year old purebred tortie dutch rabbit! His hobbies include trying to steal your fast food for some reason, carrying his stuffed animals around the house, and chasing the cat. He ALWAYS tries to be friends with EVERYONE, and loves giving kisses.

Snapchat-172559316.jpg

For a while, it was just Kit. Kit is technically my ESA, so when I was living on campus, I was only allowed to have one. However, I now have a townhouse, so....

BEAN!
Snapchat-1773429697.jpg

I just got Bean last Saturday. She is teeny tiny and totally adorable!
Snapchat-1100254263.jpg

She is believed to be a polish dwarf or a mix, and is estimated to be 3-5 weeks. She's very curious, already loves to cuddle, and has been already become the best of friends with her big brother. Her favorite spot to nap currently is on my boyfriend's shoulder.

And yes, I am jealous.
I wish it was my shoulder.

Adorable!

You need to watch out for hormones kicking in and provoking vicious, random fighting once Bean reaches 3-5 mo though. I'd estimate Bean to be more like 6-8 weeks based on size. Baby rabbits get along with everyone but once hormones rear their heads, all bets are off. BOTH rabbits will need to be spayed/neutered (plus wait 3-4 wks for females' and 6-8 weeks for males' hormones to dissipate) and they'll need to be re-bonded as adults before it's safe to permanently keep them together. If you need bonding help later, don't hesitate to ask! We've got many experienced members here and can also direct you to some great websites about bonding.

Also, bear in mind that cats and rabbits can be a dangerous combo. Cats have toxins on their claws/teeth that can cause really serious infections if they break a rabbit's skin with a bite or scratch - a seemingly minor wound can turn fatal even with aggressive vet treatment. If a rabbit gets too pushy and irks a cat, the cat could give a warning swat that breaks the skin and gets seriously infected (rabbits have very delicate skin). On a side note, you're not the only one to witness the chasing or even bullying of cats by one or more rabbits, lol. Picture a little B&W Holland Lop tearing across a trailer, lop ears bouncing as she runs, while 3-5 cats frantically scatter out of her way :p. Heck, I've seen rabbits eat dry cat food and camp out in the cat box to show cats who's boss (behaviors that we quickly put a stop to, of course).

Back