Gotta love those farms for hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
Wow! I just found a local horse feed/supply store that sells Timothy/grass hay by the bale. I was paying $25 for 9 lbs of orchard hay from a local pet store, but I just got a 45 lb. bale for $7. SEVEN dollars! Now that's some good economics. I did check out the bale, it's fresh and sweet smelling and dry (no central moisture packed in the middle). Makes the wallet happy ;)

Also I found a local store that sells horse bedding. I was using pellet stove pellets but they didn't absorb as well bc they were hardwood. So I bought some feline pine pellets from the pet store. A 20 lb. bag costs about $17-20. Apparently horse bedding pellets are exactly the same thing and I got 40 lbs. for $5.75! So if anyone is near horse supply stores I highly recommend checking to see if they sell hay and/or pelleted horse bedding! :biggrin:

I would just like to thank this forum very much for all the info I have found here! I would never have thought to search feed stores for good quality, reasonably priced supplies. The money I save on boring stuff like litter pellets and hay can be better spent on food for my bunny friends!!!

Ape337 wrote:
Wow! I just found a local horse feed/supply store that sells Timothy/grass hay by the bale. I was paying $25 for 9 lbs of orchard hay from a local pet store, but I just got a 45 lb. bale for $7. SEVEN dollars! Now that's some good economics. I did check out the bale, it's fresh and sweet smelling and dry (no central moisture packed in the middle). Makes the wallet happy ;)

Also I found a local store that sells horse bedding. I was using pellet stove pellets but they didn't absorb as well bc they were hardwood. So I bought some feline pine pellets from the pet store. A 20 lb. bag costs about $17-20. Apparently horse bedding pellets are exactly the same thing and I got 40 lbs. for $5.75! So if anyone is near horse supply stores I highly recommend checking to see if they sell hay and/or pelleted horse bedding! :biggrin:

I would just like to thank this forum very much for all the info I have found here! I would never have thought to search feed stores for good quality, reasonably priced supplies. The money I save on boring stuff like litter pellets and hay can be better spent on food for my bunny friends!!!
one can use timothy/orchard grasses for poop boxes too--sincerely james waller:big wink:

Wow! I'm glad I'm not feeding my horses on $7/bale! Here it's only $3.50/bale. I use a mixture of shavings and sawdust for the horses, but I don't put anything in my drop pans (I hose them out every day). Maxine (house bunny) I just lug up some shavings from the barn.

If you wanted to save even more money, find a sawmill in your area and buy from them. We get a triaxle load, for $100/delivered.

Ape337 wrote:

:blueribbon:

Ape337 wrote:

Just curious, how are you going to store the bale? My husband and I discussed bales when we first got Dobby and Kreacher and figured as are rabbitry grew, we would then really consider a bale. We already talked to some farmers who will let us know when the real quality hay will be out.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:

Just curious, how are you going to store the bale? My husband and I discussed bales when we first got Dobby and Kreacher and figured as are rabbitry grew, we would then really consider a bale. We already talked to some farmers who will let us know when the real quality hay will be out.

I have a giant rubbermaid storage bin that I keep a bale in. It is the perfect size, but I do have to take out a flake before I stuff it all in or it is really hard to get the hay out at first. The rest of the hay is in the garage (around 15 in there now, not all mine). I also have another smaller bin for day to day use that I put 1 flake in at a time.
I find that bales are great even with a small number of rabbits. I first got bales at 3 rabbits and now have 5. Considering I could buy a years supply of hay for a bit more than a weeks (at 3 rabbits and $4 per bale, so around $12 per year), it was sooooo much cheaper. Now I get $10 bales and got through around 6 bales a year, but that is still a ton cheaper than at a pet store.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

I have a giant rubbermaid storage bin that I keep a bale in. It is the perfect size, but I do have to take out a flake before I stuff it all in or it is really hard to get the hay out at first. The rest of the hay is in the garage (around 15 in there now, not all mine). I also have another smaller bin for day to day use that I put 1 flake in at a time.
I find that bales are great even with a small number of rabbits. I first got bales at 3 rabbits and now have 5. Considering I could buy a years supply of hay for a bit more than a weeks (at 3 rabbits and $4 per bale, so around $12 per year), it was sooooo much cheaper. Now I get $10 bales and got through around 6 bales a year, but that is still a ton cheaper than at a pet store.
Thanks you so much. I was more concerned about the shelf life and bugs. Do you ever get bugs or mold in your hay while it's stored. I know it has to be dry, and it's kind tough living on a sand pennisula known as New Jersey, but is it possible to keep a bale of hay from getting contaminated with bugs? What do we look for. How do you know it's dry, because mold will set in here in New Jersey and moldy hay is a no-no.

This is excellent information and would LOVE to be able to do this. It is so much more cost effective to buy one bale that will last a year, then how many bags. I know exactly what kind of bin you are talking about.

Please advise. Would love to cut our expenses. We will have 5 rabbits in a week and half, plus down the line babies. So we are VERY interested, but not experienced in the hay business.

Thanks,

Hubby picked up a big storage container that the bale fits in. I'm keeping it inside the bunny room bc my house has a/c most of the summer as Delaware summers are sooooo humid ( like Jersey! ). I'm keeping off the lid since it's inside to let it breathe. I'm going to record the date to see how long 45 lbs lasts 2 bunnies. Just bc I'm a nerd :biggrin2:

You can also get hay storage bags. We use them, to keep from getting hay all over everything in the horse trailer. Pretty handy, I think.

90264.jpg

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produ...alse&mscssid=EFD3FBB8544C43E8962440B6444EC2CA

Or if you're handy with a sewing machine make your own. I've got one made out of unbleached cotton calico which took about an hour to pin and sew up... but we had metres upon metres of calico to spare. I also wrapped my spare bale in a sheet and tied it all down with some cheap acrylic yarn, should hopefully keep any nasty bugs out of it.

I got my pasture hay bales for $6 each, it's good local pasture species and will have to see how Ash like it, seen some oat and pasture/alfalfa blend hay for $15+ a bale... bit too pricey for what it is!

Toady wrote:
Or if you're handy with a sewing machine make your own. I've got one made out of unbleached cotton calico which took about an hour to pin and sew up... but we had metres upon metres of calico to spare. I also wrapped my spare bale in a sheet and tied it all down with some cheap acrylic yarn, should hopefully keep any nasty bugs out of it.

I got my pasture hay bales for $6 each, it's good local pasture species and will have to see how Ash like it, seen some oat and pasture/alfalfa blend hay for $15+ a bale... bit too pricey for what it is!
The sheet and the cheap acrylic yarn I can do, but using a sewing machine. lol Hats off to you for being so creative. Rose, my MIL, who has since passed, was amazing with a sewing machine. Lovely curtains, pillow cases, kitchen table cloths. I have a few of her items she made hanging in my home. I on the other hand, can sew a button on, or a patch on jeans.

I have a hay storage bag.. It's great.

It's very handy for me since i live in an apartment now. you should see me try to sneak hay up, i put the hay in the BIG brown lawn bags then bring it up late at night.

The supey knows i have rabbits but i really don't waqnt all the neighbours to know.

Susan:)

I have a hay storage bag.. It's great.

It's very handy for me since i live in an apartment now. you should see me try to sneak hay up, i put the hay in the BIG brown lawn bags then bring it up late at night.

The super knows i have rabbits but i really don't want allmy neighbours to know.

Susan:)

I make all my daughter's show outfits, so I have the sewing machine and the serger. But the beauty of those bags is that they're super strong, enabling you to carry the bale with the bag. While you could buy the heavy canvas, heavy-duty zippers, and webbing, it's probably cheaper (and faster) to just buy one.

I will say they hold up well. The ones we have are over 4 years old, and they get used a LOT. Not just holding a bale, but carrying it.

We use a clothing closet to store our bales of hay. We built a small shelf to keep it raised and off the ground with a tarp underneath to catch the hay scraps. The closet fits about 5-6 square bales of hay. We use a cardboard box/Rubbermaid storage tote to keep a few flakes out for daily feeding.

Stick your hand into the bale of hay, if it feels damp, there is a chance for mold and/or bugs. Also, the bale of hay would probably be quite dusty. Happened with us once, and fortunately we discovered it before we took the hay inside the house.

If you are looking to buy one or two bales, you can try using the Christmas tree bags to store your bales, which may be cheaper than an actual hay storage bag.

*Check the bale of hay at the farm, so you don't do bring it home with you.

Buy hay from a farmer that feeds hay to his animals, particularly horses.

Just be careful, because the hay should be able to "breathe". I wouldn't put it in anything plastic, except in a big tub with the lid kept off.

And, not sure if everyone knows this or not, but you should store your hay so the strings are on the side, not the bottom/top. If there is any moisture (which most hay, when freshly bailed, has) it lets it breathe and finish drying.

Back