Good mixes ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
werecatrising wrote
How many dogs do you deal with on a daily basis? As someone who deals with hundreds of dogs a week, I can tell you this is one of the most inaccurate statements I have read in a long time.
Not as inaccurate as your comment.
CDC research study
You know the centre of disease control, possibly some of the most in the know people in the world when it comes to people dieing?
I'm just saying...
We can take your practical experience, which is one person or we can take the statistics which covers every death by canine in the USA over a period of time and... You know what? I think I'll choose the scientific basis.

End of story, please stop quoting my posts, I can honestly not be bothered checking this thread, if you choose to buy an animal that is prone to violence and spend the rest of your life with it happily with no problems? Good for you, great! I'm happy for you. But if you are mauled, that's your problem.
If you want to keep this argument going send me a PM by all means, but I have Real Life to continue on with.
Best of luck.

Any dog can be 'vicious' .. it's all how their braught up.. how do you think it's legal to own a wolf.

No offence Dave, but your oppinion wont change my mind.. I'm just looking for good mixes so don't try to change my mind, won't work :D

While I do agree that there are certain things bred into a dog Dave. I do have to disagree with your statements. Look into the pit's past before casting a sentence.
Do you know what the APBT was bred for? A fighting dog (if you didn't know). BUT before you talk about the aggression bred into them- they were bred to be dog aggressive, not human aggressive. The 'handler' had to be able to split up the dogs and not get bit. This was a much desired trait.
Another common misconception is their 'lock jaws'. Not true at all.
Most attacks by pits have to do with improper owners for this breed. As with any large, strong breed they require owners who can control and harnass their drive, whether it be prey or otherwise. This does not mean big strong men but cool headed, confident people who can take a leadership role.
Any breed- large or small- has gotten it's reputation because we humans have given it to them. We have allowed it to happen.
I had a GSD and a Rottweiler (since passed on) at the same time. I am a small woman, 5 feet 3 inches, and I had control over these 2 at all times. Both were the perfect pets for my home because I put in the time and energy to train them. They did not run loose and terrorize the neighborhood. My GSD had high drive so anything running could trigger that but she was taught to harness that. My Rott had a tendency towards not liking strangers to pet him so he was socialized early on to accept the petting (even if he was less than thrilled with it).
I mention these 2 dogs because they have also been on the chopping block (so to say) quite a few times. Yet they can be some of the best dogs.
I do agree that some dogs need mentally stronger owners than others and a high driven dog (of any breed) may require this.

Why do you want a pitbull? What are the specific traits about them you like?
Just so that you know- a lot of places that have breed specific legislation in place are also working on banning mixed breeds that resemble the breed that is banned. Be sure to check into that.

If you are wanting a mixed breed I would recommend going through a shelter or rescue. The intentional breeding of mixed breed dogs is most often done irresponsibly.

Beware living in a city where pitbulls are banned, be prepared to be able to prove that he/she is a mix and not purebred. I know plenty of people who had their Labs (yes purebred), Boxers, American Bulldogs, and bull breed mixes taken away because neighbors claimed that the dog was a pitbull. The only way to get back your dog from authorities is to have documented proof (solid proof) that the dog is not a purebred pit. This happened alot in Ontario and also in my town here in Ohio where pits are banned.

Beware of ignorant fearful people. Because many will not hesitate to call ac about a "pitbull".

I had a foster dog that was a Boxer/Pointer and I had many people ask me if she was a pitbull.

Really any Pit mix is awesome. Lab/Pit was what came to my mind. Mainly because I have a great yellow Lab ;). Also I have known some wonderful Pit/Border Collies. Also beware that even mixed with a Lab some Lab lines are showing aggression and too much drive. I was mauled by two purebredLabs when I was 13.

Pitbulls are very people and family driven. My brother has a9 year old purebred female Pit that he saved from the fighting ring. She was a loser nearly dead when he saw her chained in a backyard. He offered $100 for her just so he could get her out of the situation. Thats when she was 2. It took two more years to bring her back and have her become a normal dog. She lives with him and his three other dogs (outside of my city) and with his two daughters. She is never left unsupervised but she also has shown no human aggression ever. She however had to work on her dog aggression and she has to be managed in a different way. But she is a very very good dog.

Any breed has the ability to cause damage or even kill a person. I have seen many more human aggressive Labs and Golden Retrievers (especially Goldens) than human aggressive Pits. Pitbulls just airn't for first time dog owners. Mainly because they need serious socialization as puppies. If you socialize socialize socialize your dog will grow up with no dog or human aggresion issues. And that goes for ANY BREED. My brother was told that his two JRT/Pit mixes would never be okay with other dogs. But he just took them to all sorts of places with other dogs. They now visit the park weekly as 2 year olds. Same as his Lab/Husky mix.

Really its just a matter of finding a dog with a personality that suits your life style.

Hey Brandy, I can't remember what I was watching on TV, it was like an animal cruelty type thing and on it an investigator was sent out to take two stray dogs off the street. Both the dogs were pitbull mixes, but one looked like a pitbull and the other didn't, even though they were defo mixes, the one that looked like a pitbull had to be put to sleep. Just saying this incase you get a mix that looks like a pitbull, and end up having to have it put to sleep. :)
Pitbulls are very cute dogs though!

I just thought I would add something into this.
Like said before all dogs can be vicious and bite. Espcially guard dogs, they may be trained to attack an enemy or stranger but they can turn on you in a second.

Pit bulls aren't the only ones with bad reputations on biting, Akita's are just as much. And Akita's have been known for a longer time to be agressive.

CKGS wrote:
This does not mean big strong men but cool headed, confident people who can take a leadership role.

I'm cool, confident :coolness:

Anyways, guys, please don't fight, I didn't ask for weather I should get one or not, because I will and no one can change my mind about that but I was just wondering on possible mixes. So don't bother trying... i don't care :biggrin2:

..Don't be suprised if my dog ever ends up like this..

1099342867_fe452646a0.jpg

haha =)

Although i'd *prefer* a girl, it wouldn't matter..

..So vicious.. :rollseyes

302431890_44b9d03e59.jpg

I have a pitbull/boxer mix :) Her name is Pebbles, she is 7 months old and the sweetest dog ever. She is also very smart. She has never showed signs of aggression and I can guarntee you she never will.

I will post pics of her later :)

Brandy, I'm a dog walker and have dealt with several pits and I loved them all. They were mushes and very loving. One time I was walking Madison and another dog jumped the fence and came at us, she hid behind my legs with her tail between her legs. The dog stopped and went back and I turned around and said, AND YOUR A PITBULL??? She looked at me with those sweet eyes for protection.

I was bit by a cocker spaniel and a Dachsund so small dogs can be just as dangerous.

I'd go to the shelter for a pit mix there's plenty to choose from.

you guys are meany butts!

I go on the local shelters website...

guess what stares back at me

Dammit

A pit

, I had names picked out, Bella for a girl and Armani for a boy..

HER NAME IS BELLA, FOR FUDGE SAKE I'M TURNING TO MUSH..:blushan:

P.S > shes the color I want to.. brindle..

dsgkhfkjbnckjgdfhcvkjnb

I would get a pit bull in a heart beat if they were a breed that would fit into my lifestyle. They are active dogs (terriers) and I am not that active. They are wonderful dogs if raised properly. I would rather have a put bill than a Chihuahua.
Pits are just the current breed that is targeted. It has been Rotiweilers, German Shepherds, and other breeds have been targeted before. Helen Keller, who was blind, deaf and mute had a pit. She had to have complete trust in the dog.

Don't you just hate when the dog you want is there when you aren't ready yet? Maybe she will still be there when you are ready. Or you could go get her now. :)

I fell in love with a brindle Pit before, Brandy. Her name was Bella. My "friend" adopted her on impulse from the local animal shelter....then returned her a few months later when she decided that Bella was "old news". I still see Bella going in and out of the animal shelter from time to time....I don't know why, as she was the sweetest dog. I would adopt her if I could, but I have kitties (she didn't like cats) and we can't have a 2nd dog right now.....plus, I would never own a Pit while renting because most places won't allow certain breeds and a Pit is one of them :(.

I loove pitties! They're not banned here but everyone thinks they're pyscho's? Out of all the doggies I've met the pitties have been the sweetest! And the least aggressive. I look after these kids on Mondays and this week the blimen golden retriever bit me! Broke skin bit me! I'd rather a pitty any day.

I think the reason pitbulls are SOOO well behaved is because their owners know they'll get judged at the slightest growl, or anything like that.. so in my oppinion their the best behaved dogs.

Exactly that, Brandy. You have to be so on top of training and obedience that way no one can ever say "Well so and so's pit, they're a right terror". You want people to meet your dog and go "So and so's pit is such an AMAZING dog, I don't get the bad rap!"

We just found out today that pit/bully breeds are actually banned in our town. 0.0 And so are their mixes or any dog that LOOKS like one. How stupid is that? Any dog that looks like a bully breed. It's just ridiculous. We have a lab/pit mix, and John works for the city. Obviously no one has carted Cooper away, and we know the town treasurer has a Staffie, and brings it to parades and walks it around the town square often. They must not be enforcing it at all.

Those bans are a bit silly anyways regardless of whether it's the breed or what ever.. since the people who weren't training their dogs properly and not being responsible (the one's causing all the problems) probably wouldn't listen to the laws anyways, so it only hurts the responsible people.

Latest posts

Back