Good mixes ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandy456 wrote:
Doesn't look like Ottawa is lifting the ban anyttime soon =/
:(
As it is a province wide ban, I don't think Ottawa can do much about it even if they wanted to.
I think there is a group trying to get the ban lifted. Their first appeal was rejected, but they are trying again. You could find out more about them and what you can do to get rid of the ban.

Ugh bans on certain breeds/pets is really strange to me.

When I was young a friend of my parents' got two baby rats when we still lived in Alberta, they got them both spayed/neutered and went about their way. Eventually someone reported them and they were killed without any questions asked. They put it in the paper and everything as this big deed to the community, like these two altered rats were going to breed and multiply like crazy and spread rats all over the place. They were two pet rats, the owners had even gone the extra mile to get them both altered so they're obviously seeing a vet frequently. Two loving, cared for members of a family were killed because of some insane laws.

I've been bit by dogs, small dogs, big dogs. Some were deliberate, others weren't. I'm not about to go into a fit of panicked crazy because of a pit bull that might attack me. I don't think I've ever come across an aggressive pit bull. Same with all the other aggressive breeds that just sort of flump to the ground and demand to be hugged. My cairn terrier is more likely to rip my face off than any of the pit bulls I've met. Even my australian shepherd would be more likely to! Poor little guys, they have such a bad reputation. They're so cute and fun.

I love Pits! I've never owned one but I own a Rotty and I know all about people judging a dog because of the way it looks.

On the other hand, I rather get bitten by a small dog than a Pitbull.

Also, I have two Chihuahuas and they are the best behaved little dogs in the world. Lets not classify ALL small dogs as yappy and ill-behaved. Last night I went through the drive thru at Jack in the Box and the guy was really impressed with my dogs. He said "Wow! That's the calmest Chihuahua I've ever seen. Usually they're trying to bite my head off right about now. Why don't my guys do that? I wish I could say its because I trained them not to but honestly its all their own personality. If they had turned out to be yappy dogs, of course I would make sure I trained it out of them. They are naturally laid back little dudes and I really didn't have much to do with it. So I think there is something to be said about the innate personality of the dog.

Like Cesar Milan says, "First animal, then breed, then name."

t.:p

I am glad they cant band a indivisoual breed in the state of texas. State law never knew that tell they tried to pass branning pits in dalllas they cant cause of that standing law.

But I owned a pit and jewel was the sweetest dog in the world pits are not for the fante of heart type dogs. But boy they are sweet and loving.

I would own a pit in a heartbeat if I could. But I dont have the time right now.

THANK YOU! I hate people labeling small dogs. We have ALWAYS owned small dogs and never had yippy ones. I had 7 small dogs few weeks ago and we took them to the park, to Petco on a day when there were tons of animals at the shot clinic. All those dogs and ALL 7 dogs were so well behaved. They got petsand just sat there behaving. Everyone was in shock how was it we had 7 SMALL dogs behaving. I kept repeating training not allowing the dogs to get away with things. I had 2 12wk old chihuahuas, 3 pomeranians (2 4yr olds and a 5yr old), a 16yr old pekingese and a 4yr old shitzu-cocker-poodle mix. Umm don't ask what we call her when people want to say she can't be a mutt. Eh tell you anyways Sh*tCockaPoo.:D

Oh and since I was little we have had 14 small dogs (between me,my mom and grandma) not once has anyone of those dogs bitten. Currently wejust have the 7.

myLoki wrote:
Lets not classify ALL small dogs as yappy and ill-behaved. Last night I went through the drive thru at Jack in the Box and the guy was really impressed with my dogs. He said "Wow! That's the calmest Chihuahua I've ever seen. Usually they're trying to bite my head off right about now. Why don't my guys do that? I wish I could say its because I trained them not to but honestly its all their own personality. If they had turned out to be yappy dogs, of course I would make sure I trained it out of them. They are naturally laid back little dudes and I really didn't have much to do with it. So I think there is something to be said about the innate personality of the dog.

Like Cesar Milan says, "First animal, then breed, then name."

t.:p

Illegal dog flighting is on the up in Yorkshire - UK - and I've read many an article of attacks by these dogs, so I couldn't ever advocate anyone wanting to have one as a pet. NOT the dog's fault, but how can anyone possibly guarantee in this day and age that the pup you get is from a purebred?

i had two pitbill great dane mixes.
both dogs very very different. both very affectionate but the female very very portective where the male could be shot by an intruder and hed wag his tail and lick them some more

It is sad that small dogs also get bad raps because of irresponsible owners also. I had a min pin (rip) whom was extremely well behaved and trained. I didn't want anyone saying , "You have one of those anklebiters" and showing them indeed I do have one. I wanted to show them that my 'anklebiter' would just as soon NOT taste their hairy legs/calves... Lol.
She was a great dog.

CKGS wrote:
It is sad that small dogs also get bad raps because of irresponsible owners also. I had a min pin (rip) whom was extremely well behaved and trained. I didn't want anyone saying , "You have one of those anklebiters" and showing them indeed I do have one. I wanted to show them that my 'anklebiter' would just as soon NOT taste their hairy legs/calves... Lol.
She was a great dog.
I love small dogs!

Saffy wrote:
Illegal dog flighting is on the up in Yorkshire - UK - and I've read many an article of attacks by these dogs, so I couldn't ever advocate anyone wanting to have one as a pet. NOT the dog's fault, but how can anyone possibly guarantee in this day and age that the pup you get is from a purebred?

They don't have to be purebred...

=/

undergunfire wrote:
Saudade wrote:
The argument of breed/deed is powered by misinformation. It is like saying a hand raised tiger will not bite your arm off the second it gets a chance (Siegfried and Roy anyone?)
Animals can be aggressive because of their bloodlines, they can and will attack and hurt you badly.
Animals are not cute cuddly creatures, they are all essentially ANIMALS. When people remove the misconception that a pet is a pet and a wild animal is a wild animal and neither share any traits, arguments like this won't arise.
This is not saying a pitbull will, but they have a much higher chance of attacking. Any person who has worked with animals knows that some breeds are much more aggressive.
In rabbits Polish's are a great example of this, the famed guard rabbits of the world, they'll take your arm off if they get a chance.
I wouldn't suggest a pitbull for you brandy, I wouldn't suggest them for anyone, they've been bred for aggression.
If you want a guard dog get one that has been bred for obedience, a suggestion would be a german shepherd.
If you just want a companion get a labrador or a golden retriever.
If you want something that statistically has a much higher chance of chewing your face off? By all means get a pitbull.

WOAH! I think you are the severely misinformed one.

German Shepherd? I've heard of multiple GSD's being severely aggressive. I've seen aggressive "family dogs" (Labs, Goldens, etc).

Hrm...so if all of those M Vick dogs were "bred for aggression", then why are they living in homes cuddling with young children right now?

I think it sucks that people can't be accepting of a breed. I don't see why a Golden or a Lab can be a companion, but yet a Pit can't because it will bite you're face off? Not true, by any means.

There are millions of people out there who have adopted shelter Pits with no know background...and those Pits are loved family members.

It really sickens me when people "put down" Pits. These are probably the type of being who have never been "attacked" by slopping wet Pittie kisses to you're face....once it happens, you will always love this breed. I have never met a mean Pit Bull in my life....and I have been around mulitple Pits.

It's all in how they are raised, seriously guys. I have a coworker of mine that raises her three pits with her infant and toddler! Those dogs wouldn't harm a hair on any of their heads! I've met some incredibly aggressive Goldens(i've actually had to shoot one of them), New Foundlands and Border Collies, which are typically calm dogs. A great Pyrennese that I knew would attack any animals smaller than itself, while a great protection against foxes and what not, not good on a farm with baby sheep.

My friend raised her German Shepard puppies, both Maddie and Koda teaching them rabbits were good, Maddie still *tries* to kill them, but Koda lays down and lets them hop around with no real interest in them. Same with her three Cockapoo's, Daimien is fine with them, he'll sleep curled up with a rabbit, the other three will not- raised in different situations!

My dad's friend bred Rotties for a long time and his two females, Jill and Sasha were the friendliest rotties you could ever met, but his male. Well let's just say if you weren't a male, don't approach him, he'll rip your face off. Jill and Sasha he had as puppies, he rescued the male from an abusive situation.

Akitas, Chows and Doberman's (Can't remember the last two, but not Pits) have the highest percentages of turning on their masters, but there isn't anything said that they have to. A school buddy of mine has had this Akita for 11 years and it acts like a lab, Rae had a Doby mix and it was more loyal than most shepards. A dog breed shouldn't be ruled or judged by a few people's actions with the breed. It's like saying kids can't own Netherland Dwarfs or Britannia Petites because they'll break them, I mean come on! That's not fair to the kids nor the rabbits when looked at from both angles.

If you are going to get a Pit, or Pit mix, just spend alot of time getting to know the dog before you bring it home, and be prepared for obeidience classes and a lot of training with it.

I'm afraid of all large dogs.

I was bitten by a Norwegian Elk Hound when I was 2, and I've been terrified of large dogs since then. I freaked out over the weekend, when the neighbor's black lab ran up to me, even though it was wagging it's tail.

CKGS wrote:
She was a great dog.
I have a Doxie/Pin Mix mix (Sammy) and he has more of a "Min Pin" side to him then a Doxie side. I had a purebred Min Pin as a kid, so I remember exactly how Zack behaved....my mom never worked with him, so he was a little terror.

Sammy was adopted by us at 9 months old (he is almost 2 now) and he doesn't like his feet touched, hates belly rubs most of the time (will "mouth" you", sometimes when you pet him he will "mouth" you. I think it is because his former owners never worked with him as a puppy...he's got the same personality in that sense as a Min Pin whom has never been worked with....it is really annoying sometimes, lol.

Dachshunds can be quite the nasty little devils too if not handled young and raised properly. My aunt breeds these fiesty little 'firecrackers' (as she calls them). My min pin was a joy to handle and never even attempted to be aggressive with us. Most were surprised she lived with so many kids and never bit or snapped at them. A couple of my aunt's dachshunds will though. I think you could have a mix that could be exhibiting both breeds behaviours there Amy. Lol. They are both spitfires!

CKGS wrote:
Dachshunds can be quite the nasty little devils too if not handled young and raised properly. My aunt breeds these fiesty little 'firecrackers' (as she calls them). My min pin was a joy to handle and never even attempted to be aggressive with us. Most were surprised she lived with so many kids and never bit or snapped at them. A couple of my aunt's dachshunds will though. I think you could have a mix that could be exhibiting both breeds behaviours there Amy. Lol. They are both spitfires!
Sam definitely shines out as more "Min Pin", lol. The groomer even said she could definitely tell he had Min Pin in him by the way he acted. I loooove Doxies, my favorite breed ever. We are probably going to get Sammy a sister Doxie in a few years, if he will accept one! I think Doxies and Doxie mixes are just the cutest little things...I love "puppy eyes" and giggle everytime I see Sammy doing it..haha!

My aunts doxies are like that too. Lol. I walk in her house and they see this sucker coming a mile away. They give me those 'eyes' and I'm all theirs for the rest of the day. LOL

Ok I have to admit, my brothers uncles' pitbull (pure bred, he was born before the law and didn't switch owners so hes allowed) is aloot more behaved then Sparky.

:ph34r2

Not in the sense Sparky will bite, which he hasnt since january:)D) but just, manners. Sparky will run out the door with his leash on to go pee, where as Tyson walks right beside his owner. Just plain better manners, so I have a pom... and a pitbull has more etiquette so it's obviously not based on breed. (but the fact he's just allowed to go outside now, and i'm working on it)

:twitch:

DEF not the breed, my Golden Retriever (Luca) is very very very well behaved. My neighbour's Golden Retriever (jona) is the opposite... he bites too, territorial and will attack anything. Jona is what you can call vicious, strange... coming from a golden retriever.

so you adopting from the shelteR?

Pits are brilliant dogs, I absolutely love them. I have 3 Akita Inu, they are all lovely, sweet dogs and my male is an ex fighting dog. It doesn't matter what the breed is, it's the the people that make the dog!I think myboy is living proof of this, having such a horrible start to life and now he is the softest, most trustworthy dog I know.

_MG_8444.jpg

And this is Simba, a purebred rednose who belongs to a neighbour (a 50 year old woman) who is unable to walk him due to illness. I walk Simba for her everyday and he's just fantastic. Very, very strong but a massive big heart and lots of love for everybody he meets. He's also great with other dogs. He's an AmStaff x, obviously.;) I love him to bits!

srednose.jpg

Latest posts

Back