Good mixes ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
So it's illegal here to own a pure pitbull, but once I move out I want one.. so it's going to have to be mixed. What do you think would be the good 'other half' I thought of a lab.. not bad.. good qualitys in both =) and they'd really bring out the best in eachothers breed.

What do you think would be a good mix ?

American Staffordshire Terrier?

That'd give you the closest thing to a pit you can get.

Just kidding.

Why don't you just take a look in shelters and see who you fall in love with? About 85% of the dogs that come into our shelter are american staff or pit bull or some mix of one of those.

Yeah, i was thinking more.. breeder. Since *i've heard..not to sure if its true* only breeders can have a pure pitbull, for well, mix-breeding perposes since it's illegal to have a pure if you're not.
=)
Not alot of shelters around here have pits... and I've ALWAYS wanted one.. my brothers uncle has a pure (from before the law) and he's the best, most loyal dog ever.. =)
I was thinking also, a boxer mix.. =)

They definetly have a bad rap. I had one growing up and he was my best bud. The sad thing is that now you do have to watch who you are getting one from as many bloodlines aren't the best for a pet.
I do love this breed though but do watch what you get and where you get from. Good luck with your search.

Its the deed, not the breed! I am one of the many people who refuses to believe Pits are mean due to bloodlines.

Brandy...don't go to a breeder that is breeding for mixed breed dogs. You will be supporting bad practices. Reputable breeders don't mix breed dogs.

You really need to check the law over really well. From what I have heard, it is poorly worded and if there is any issue with your dog, you have to prove it is not a pit bull, they don't have to prove it is. Any dog that looks like a pit bull can be classified as one, even if it isn't. A stocky lab could be considered a pit bull if there is someone who really doesn't like you. Under the provincial law, pit bulls are defined as American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire bull terrier or any dog that looks similar. If you do have one, it has to be leashed, muzzled and neutered.
I don't mean to put a damper on you getting a mix, but you do need to know what you are getting yourself into with one. I am not sure that you can even adopt a pit bull since you did not have one when the ban went into effect.

Pit bull mixes can be just about anything. I think labs are common as well as shepherds. You can keep an eye on different rescues in your area. Some will let you be put on a waiting list for a breed, you do have to go through the adoption process, but you get to know about a dog before it is put up to the general public.

You could get another 'bully' breed. If you can find a good breeder and get it registered, you would be able to prove that it is not one of the breeds that is banned. I would get a breed or mix that isn't banned and will not give you much trouble with the law. It seems a bit unfair to get a dog only to have to keep it muzzled and leashed.

If you are planing on leaving Ontario all together, you would have more options in getting one. You would have to check local by-laws, but you would have some freedom on where you move to. You could even choose a city based on it's by-laws. Calgary doesn't have any breed bans and have a Dangerous Dog legislation which is basically punishing the deed, not the breed.

Not mean but some bloodlines have been bred for aggression/drive that many everyday pet owners cannot handle. This is true for many breeds of dogs.

Many border collies aren't great kid dogs because of their high excitability and drive. They will nip alot and even break skin doing it. Great dogs and very intelligent in the right hands.

I am in no way against the APBT breed but do believe that research needs to be done but I believe that needs to happen regardless of the pet. I, in fact, love the breed. My first dog was one and he saw me through many, many rough times as a child with an alcoholic father.
He was a great dog. I will never forget him.

I don't care really for other 'bully' breeds, not what I want.

As for the breeder, I thought breeders do that? no ?
Hmm. . but i'd want it mixed with a well natured dog.. like a lab, or a boxer. But I don't want it mixed with something that will alter its appearance, the beauty..

Brandy456 wrote:
I don't care really for other 'bully' breeds, not what I want.

As for the breeder, I thought breeders do that? no ?
Hmm. . but i'd want it mixed with a well natured dog.. like a lab, or a boxer. But I don't want it mixed with something that will alter its appearance, the beauty..

You should really pick a dog for its personality, not beauty. Sure, some dogs I just "ooo & aahhh" over because they are gorgeous, but I over look them because it might not be the right dog for my family.

Many dogs are sitting in shelters right now because they are too "ugly" to be adopted. It is always the gorgeous animals that get adopted first even though they may be of poor personality/have issues when the "ugly" animal could be the perfect fit!

Just something to think about...

I ment the appearance, like if i could choose, i'd rather not mix it with something like a poodle (the big ones) because it wouldnt look as much like a pitbull which is the breed I want, but cannot have because stupid laws. =)

Good luck with whatever dog you may choose in the future! I try to be open minded about 'bully breeds' but I still find myself wary if I don't know the owners. Mainly because these breeds have gotten the stereotype because of their looks as aggressive, powerful, and some other negative aspects - so some people LOOK for these type of dogs for their own image. Rather than go with a dog that's stereotyped as more gentle (Even though they can be just as dangerous)like a lab or something... they would rather be seen as "Ohh, I have a pitbull.. I must be tough". I know you are definitely not that tpye of person Brandy, but I've known A LOT of people with this mindset, so I am a bit wary of the tougher looking dogs because people can be ignorant thinking if their dog is tough, it must mean they are.

The argument of breed/deed is powered by misinformation. It is like saying a hand raised tiger will not bite your arm off the second it gets a chance (Siegfried and Roy anyone?)
Animals can be aggressive because of their bloodlines, they can and will attack and hurt you badly.
Animals are not cute cuddly creatures, they are all essentially ANIMALS. When people remove the misconception that a pet is a pet and a wild animal is a wild animal and neither share any traits, arguments like this won't arise.
This is not saying a pitbull will, but they have a much higher chance of attacking. Any person who has worked with animals knows that some breeds are much more aggressive.
In rabbits Polish's are a great example of this, the famed guard rabbits of the world, they'll take your arm off if they get a chance.
I wouldn't suggest a pitbull for you brandy, I wouldn't suggest them for anyone, they've been bred for aggression.
If you want a guard dog get one that has been bred for obedience, a suggestion would be a german shepherd.
If you just want a companion get a labrador or a golden retriever.
If you want something that statistically has a much higher chance of chewing your face off? By all means get a pitbull.

Saudade wrote:
The argument of breed/deed is powered by misinformation. It is like saying a hand raised tiger will not bite your arm off the second it gets a chance (Siegfried and Roy anyone?)
Animals can be aggressive because of their bloodlines, they can and will attack and hurt you badly.
Animals are not cute cuddly creatures, they are all essentially ANIMALS. When people remove the misconception that a pet is a pet and a wild animal is a wild animal and neither share any traits, arguments like this won't arise.
This is not saying a pitbull will, but they have a much higher chance of attacking. Any person who has worked with animals knows that some breeds are much more aggressive.
In rabbits Polish's are a great example of this, the famed guard rabbits of the world, they'll take your arm off if they get a chance.
I wouldn't suggest a pitbull for you brandy, I wouldn't suggest them for anyone, they've been bred for aggression.
If you want a guard dog get one that has been bred for obedience, a suggestion would be a german shepherd.
If you want something that statistically has a much higher chance of chewing your face off? By all means get a pitbull.

WOAH! I think you are the severely misinformed one.

German Shepherd? I've heard of multiple GSD's being severely aggressive. I've seen aggressive "family dogs" (Labs, Goldens, etc).

Hrm...so if all of those M Vick dogs were "bred for aggression", then why are they living in homes cuddling with young children right now?

I think it sucks that people can't be accepting of a breed. I don't see why a Golden or a Lab can be a companion, but yet a Pit can't because it will bite you're face off? Not true, by any means.

There are millions of people out there who have adopted shelter Pits with no know background...and those Pits are loved family members.

It really sickens me when people "put down" Pits. These are probably the type of being who have never been "attacked" by slopping wet Pittie kisses to you're face....once it happens, you will always love this breed. I have never met a mean Pit Bull in my life....and I have been around mulitple Pits.

Pits are just like any other dog. ANY dog can be aggressive.

Cocker spaniels have WAY more reported dog bites than do pits. Small dogs (chis, terriers) bit A LOT more often. No one reports that because they are small dogs.

Also, the thing with "Two pit bulls attacked me out of no where" is the thing that how many people ACTUALLY know many breeds of dog? Any dog with a box-y head and the right build is automatically assumed to be a pit. A yucky lab could be labeled a pit from a novice's viewpoint. No one actually knows how many "pit" attacks are actually pits.

Frankly, all of the pits I've ever met have been sweet, loving, friendly, and gentle pets. Moreso than the many many small breed dogs I meet who are nasty and aggressive.

Brandy if you are SERIOUS about owning a pit, you can adopt one of the many pits in foster homes/shelters in Ottawa. They have been grandfathered in but still don't have homes. Owning one of these dogs would not be illegal HOWEVER it is a huge responsibility because of the stereotypes and the prejudice against the breed.

If you have one of these dogs you need to be responsible and MAKE SURE that when you are in public or your dog is around other people that it is behaved and one of the best darn dogs a person has ever met, because of how the breed is seen to people who may not be well informed.

Saudade wrote:
You''ll NEVER find me owning a GS, me, my brother and my boyfriend were all attacked by one, now i'm not saying I don't want one because those few were ding-dongs, but if I were to rough-house play with one.. and then that memory come back..

Will do :D

If you don't belive I can do it, I guess i'll just have to show you, hmm ?

SunnyCait wrote:
Cocker spaniels have WAY more reported dog bites than do pits. Small dogs (chis, terriers) bit A LOT more often. No one reports that because they are small dogs.

*whistles* Sparky has more dog bites then any pit i know.. haha. But to make it super clear ITS NOT MY FAULT.

He was super sick, where I almost had to put him down, and got him babysat because I didn't want to leave him alone and he got uhm 'beat up' by a 7 year old, but i'm pleased to announce he hasn't had a uhm 'fight' since feburary.

Saudade wrote:
How many dogs do you deal with on a daily basis? As someone who deals with hundreds of dogs a week, I can tell you this is one of the most inaccurate statements I have read in a long time.

I have a pit/boxer mix and she is the BEST dog ever! I agree with the suggestion that you visit a shelter, there are a lot of pit mixes that need homes, due to their bad reputation.

BEST.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Latest posts

Back