Good God Here We Go Again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
My poor Baby Buttercup went back to the Vet today. In the past month he's gone from 1364 grams to 1420 grams (today).

Chris brought him to the Vets for a follow-up appointment.He has the fluid again in his abdomen (ascities) sohe has to have it removed again next Wednesday (September 17). I honestly can't believe the Vet said he has never seen this before in a Rabbit. Has anyone ever heard about rabbits having fluid in their abdomen.

The Vet said he is going to put him on Lasix too, but also said this could be very hard on his system especially if he has Kidney failure.

The procedure should only be about 1/2 an hour. He alsosuggested they do the abdominal ultra sound again, but Chris said he does not want him to be under a General Anesthetic for too long. Last time he was under for over 2 hours, and he was so sick after. We really thought we were going to loose him for a couple of days, he was so sick. Thank goodness for Critical care.

Susan:(

:(Oh Susan that's really a shame.
I don't know about fluid in a rabbit but I do know that this occurs in humans particularly if their liver is failing. It sounds like your doctor feels that he may be having problems with his kidneys.?
I cannot recall what the previous abdominal ultrasound showed on him.
:pray:

angieluv wrote:
I don't know about fluid in a rabbit but I do know that this occurs in humans particularly if their liver is failing.
Fluid can also build up as a result of heart failture--at least in dogs, anyway. (My family's first dog developed a lot of fluid in her abdominal cavity as a result of a weakened heart.)

I hope that the vet can find a happy-medium treatment that helps one organ without being too harsh on any others.

:pray:

Jenk

I'm so sorry to hear this, Susan :(. I was hoping that it wouldn't re-occur. How is he doing in himself?

You mentioned in an earlier post about him drinking a lot - does the vet think this is related to the excess fluid? Is he peeing normally?

I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Jan

Oh no, Susan, Im so sorry to hear this.

Did the xrays of all his organs come back normal last time? Sorry, I cant remember... I have never heard of anything like this before.

How is his behavior? Apetite?

Praying for your boy. I worry about sweet little Buttercup when hes not well. :(

Haley

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear this. When I dealt with Lasix, it was for the heart only and the fluid that had built up around as a result of heart failure, so, I'm not sure of this procedure. It sounds like a good one though.

Best of luck and please, keep us posted on little Buttercup!:(

Susan - if you ever feel the need to get him checked out by another vet, bring him down to the vet near my house - Dr. Munn.

http://www.drmunn.ca/

I can't even tell you how amazing she was and how knowledgable she was about everything - and she's really open to hearing suggestions (I printed off what Randy had suggestedto me for Oliver and she was all about it - explained it all in detail etc). She even used to have her own bunny as the office 'mascot' - running around the clinic.

If there is anything wrong with my guys (other than having to have their teeth clipped), I'm going to her from now on - she's way better than the Links road doctors in my opinion.

Remember Nicky Snow? She was a member here a while back - she also takes her guys there and loves her. She recommended Dr. Munn to me, and then I also found out this doctor is one ofthe primary vets for the Rabbit Rescue organization - she does most of their spays etc.

Nadia

*Praying for Buttercup*

Thanks everyone for your concerns and well wishes.

Buttercup never drank alot of water before so this is a concern. The Vet isn't sure why he is drinking so much water.

The Chest X-ray was normal, as was his blood work. The Ultra Sound they said theycouldn't see because of the fluid. This I don't understand as a second vet supposedly did a Ultra sound after Dr R did the procedure.

And now he is having mucous in his poos (like at Xmas time) especially in the evenings. The Vet is going to give us Antibiotics for him when we go back next week.

Susan:(

Thanks Haley, Chris just left with him. I stayed home so I could wash all his linens so they will be nice and fresh when he come home.

Susan:pray::pray:

So my Baby is home. They only took out 30 cc of fluid this time. They did do the Ultra Sound.

The Vet said he noticed "Polyps"?? (this is what he said to my hubby) in his "Tummy" area. He said they could be fatty tissue, or a tumour but they can't tell unless they open him up, and that is not an option we are going to do. We will not put Buttercup through a surgery like that.

He has already eaten some veggies, hay and drank some water. He has done some poos. So so far so good, but we thought the same last time and then he got really sick. He was only under the General Anesthetic for about 30 minutes compared to 2 1/2 hours last time.

Susan:sickbunny:

I think that you're making the right decision not to do further invasive procedures...

I would guess that he'll do much better because of the shorter time under anesthesia and also because less fluid was removed/
I hope so anyway...:hugsquish:

Latest posts

Back