Going to my first rabbit show Saturday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amdfarm

Reaction score
I'm not going to be showing yet, but will be there to help Hope's breeder (her full sister is being shown) and to watch, look at bunnies and learn.

Do people typically bring sale bunnies to a show? I'm afraid I'm going to come home w/ a car load of buns if that's the case... UGH... My pocketbook is telling me to refrain, so that won't happen. But I'm still on my search for a smaller breed doe, preferably one in a broken pattern. I've narrowed down my search to certain breeds, but going to a show like this, most of the breeds will be represented and oh lord.... I'm hopeless. I'm also going by myself, which is not good as my voice of reason won't be w/ me. LOL

Anything I should pay special attention to? I'm planning to show later this summer. Hope's breeder is awesome and I'll be helping him put buns on the table, as he's bringing more than a dozen in four varieties so I know he'll help me out. Only one show this summer he'll be at. For the first one I'll be on my own. It's a little scary, have to admit.

I can't wait, so excited!!

TIA!!

Oh yeah....there will be sale rabbits and rabbits for free cause breeders need cage space.

Bring cash....and extra carriers.

Then be prepared to buy carriers there...

Seriously - someone will hand you a bunny that you'll think is cute and they'll be like "if you want it...its free because I need cage space" and of course it will be a breed you're thinking of.

Guess how I know?

Guess how many carriers I've wound up buying at shows??

No...don't guess.

Yep, this is so true. We went last weekend and we brought 4 bunnies home had to buy a carrier to take them home in we won them in raffles and then one was given to us. Take a carrier.

Always try to bring a carrier with only 1 hole space left but then I had to buy another when I got that 1 rabbit I had to have lol. My trick I bring only cash and what money I want to spend not just on the show but the raffel and on new bunnies. That way I can say I have no money when it is gone. It works sometimes and sometimes not.

my mother is nitorious for walking around looking at every rabbit thinking its cute bringing it for me to look like. I'm always like WTF, no space!... and I'm not sure how many rabbits she's brought home.

There will be rabbits out your ears there.

amdfarm wrote:
You all are ENABLERS!! If I come home w/ just one bunny, you're all in TROUBLE!!! LOL :D
It's true!! Never tell other bunny people you are considering another rabbit. Chances are they know someone wand you end up with a rabbit. Rabbit people are Bad Influences. lol A whole room of bunny people will not be helpful.

You should take a carrier, that way you won't find anything you want. If you don't bring a carrier you will find the perfect rabbit.

Goodluck amdfarm, you know how well "will power" worked on my behalf when it came to the mini rex, but then again I had 2 little girls with me also.
Do NOT take kids with you LOL.

I'm sorta sitting here laughing at this because I'm getting ready to go to a show next weekend to pick up a rabbit we're taking in. I'm going through my rabbits and thinking, "Who can I take to sell/rehome?"

I have two really NICE bucks out of Harmony - but I don't need two bucks....and I have a steel buck (both the light gray and steel are flemish giants) and then I have a half-flemish buck that I'd love to see go to a pet home. (I'd love to see all of them go to pet homes even though the light gray could most likely be shown and do quite well).

I will probably take pictures this weekend and advertise them on hoobly.com as being available at Seguin....but truth be told - if I found a good rabbit person to take them - I'll probably give them away simply so they can get a home like I'd like them to have.

My biggest problem is going to be deciding on which of the two brothers to rehome!

Haha Sarah!! Well I went and survived my first rabbit show!! I did end up showing afterall and it was a double show. Hope's breeder took BOV w/ a JUNIOR blue flemish doe. He was SHOCKED!! She was the only junior on the table and beat all of the seniors in other varieties. Needless to say, he's not going to sell her afterall and will be hanging onto her. She'll be going to Nationals next month. A real nice senior fawn buck from another breeder took BOB. They had some very nice Sandy and Fawns.

I ended up meeting a lot of new bunny people and made a lot of new friends. However, none of them live very close to me. More than 2 hours away in most cases and some out of state.

And you all will be amazed, but I didn't come up w/ another bunny. Got my perfection book, food and sodas and that was about it. BUT.... I did pick a bunny to buy after the first show, but waited til after the second show so I could think about it. I texted my BF and told him I found a bunny worthy of purchasing and shockingly he only replied w/ "okay". He was shocked I didn't come home w/ her either!! I didn't have enough cash for her and to buy a carrier. So whoever said I'll find the perfect bunny if I don't bring a carrier was RIGHT!!! LOL Hope's breeder ended up having to buy a carrier, as he bought THREE bunnies and NOT Flemish. He bought meat rabbits for his commercial line. A black NZ doe, a Cali doe and a Cali buck.

So what was this bunny I was thinking of buying you ask...................................... It's not a small breed I was considering and you'd probably never guess, but these people were SOOOO nice and helpful and had great bunnies. A junior broken castor standard rex doe and she was soooo sweet. She had great conformation, color, temperment, size and coat. I asked her if she wanted to go home w/ me and she said yes in her own sweet little bunny way, too!! I was a little upset by the time we packed up and I was driving home bunnyless, as I'd wished I could have taken her home w/ me. :( But there's another show in a couple weeks I think they're going to and I will be more prepared. They were asking a good price for her and they would have taken what little money I had if I'd had a carrier, even though I only had a 15 minute drive home, but oh well. If she's at the next show then I know it was meant to be!!

And you'll be shocked that I didn't take one single pic of ANYTHING while I was there. Too busy talking and learning and watching and helping.

It was a very looong day and I had to dochores when I got home, then take a nice hot body soaky bath and hit the hay or I would have posted last night.

Wow, sounds like you had a good time. I was 1/2 way there, I ended up having to go to my sisters in Iowa City, I tried to convince her that she needed to go to a rabbit show but she wasn't buying it.
Maybe one of these days I'll make it to one, but then again it sounds like it can be VERY VERY VERY dangerous, hee hee.

lol.. I have been one of those ppl who give away rabbits have givin away two rabbits at rabbit shows to ppl who bought my friends rabbits that I go to shows with thye bought a buck and I was like you want this black doe to go with that blue buck yeah its easy to persuade ppl into takeing another cute little bunny home.. I have never came home from a show with another bunny almost did ones but my mom told me no..lol..

Latest posts

Back