Going on Vacation with Silver!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
Hello everybody! This could fit into multiple categories, so I'm just going to post it in here. My family and I are going away on summer vacation to a little beach house up in Michigan. The best part of it all is that I get to bring my 10 month old Netherland Dwarf Silver!

I have many, many, questions for everyone as I am a bit nervous taking him far away for the first time. Where we are going is around 4 hours away from where we live. Silv has his own large travel carrier - about length 22", width 15", height 16" - that I plan to use for the car ride. Does this sound like a good plan?

I would bring some towels with his scent/scent of home and my scent to keep him feeling comfortable in a new place. I have a foldable pen that I have made him out of NIC grids that is about 6 grids long and 2 grids up. I will of course bring all his hay, food, toys, and other supplies with me.

My only concern is that he may be stressed. I have taken him over to another house before and he was very comfortable and acting his usual self within a few minutes of arrival.

How can I keep him most comfortable and happy?

What should I put in his carrier for the long drive?

Basically I need advice from someone who may have done this before or knows what to do for a situation like this.

One last question. I have liquid vitamins that I have been putting in his water since I got him as a little baby bun. Should I bring these along to put in his water, or will he be fine for 4 nights without them?

Sorry that this was a REALLY long post. I just need advice. Thanks in advance. ;)

Last edited:
I have taken my rabbits on vacation with us a couple of times. Both times were about a 4-5 hour-long drive. I do not use a very large carrier. I have 2 buns sharing the carrier and they just snuggle during the whole car ride. I put wood pellets topped with hay in the back of the carrier and a towel toward the front. I keep a bowl of water. But they usually won't drink. They will nibble on the hay now and then.

I also used an x-pen for a temporary cage. I'll see if I can find a photo. I brought a mat (the animal print one) that is usually in their home cage. I brought a cardboard box (collapsible so takes up little room) so they have a comfy place to hide. I brought their usual litter pan, food, hay, etc.

I have never given any of my rabbits vitamins. It is my understanding that there is no need whatsoever for extra vitamins. I'd have to back that up with some research unless someone else comments.

I used a heavy duty tarp for the floor and then put a fleece blanket on top. The photo may not show that clearly because both the tarp and the blanket are blue.

100_8360.jpg

Does he normally drink from a bottle or a bowl? If it's a bowl, I wouldn't put one in the carrier with him for two reasons; firstly it will likely spill and make a mess of things, and secondly, if for whatever reason the person driving has to brake suddenly, the bowl can go flying and cause injury to your bunny. For a 4 hour drive he should be ok without water, but make sure he drinks some before if you can, or at least feed him some rinsed leafy greens (if he's used to them) just before the drive and/or on the drive to keep him hydrated.

In the carrier, I would put a blanket and some hay (maybe in a toilet roll to keep it a little tidier).

In terms of the vitamins, I don't think they're technically needed in general either, however for the purpose of keeping things as normal as possible, I would take them with for the trip, just in case on the off chance he decides he doesn't want to drink his water without the smell of the vitamins in it.

In terms of other supplies, maybe a bunny first aid kit, a mat for the floor of the pen, a hidey box for him. Obviously his food dishes and toys. Standard daily basis stuff. If you're going for a while, it might also be worth looking up to see whether there's a rabbit savvy vet in the area in case you have to get him checked out for something.

Blue eyes: Thank you for the helpful pictures and advice. I plan to bring a sheet/ blanket/towel to put on the pen floor. I think that I just may stick with bringing the vitamins as Azerane suggested because I think that he likes the flavor.

Azerane: Yes he does drink from a bowl. Even though it is a heavy ceramic one, I still would not take the risk of having it spill and get his carrier all wet. He usually doesn't drink water when others are around anyway. I only seen him drink in front of me. I plan to bring some bottled water for him since he is used to the filtered water at my house. ;)

I will definitely use the veggie idea as he loves his veggies. Maybe give him some when we stop somewhere too, or along the ride. I usually do put a few towels in the carrier so that he can flop down comfily. And I will for sure put some hay in for him.

A first aid kit is a good idea I didn't really think of. What would I bring? Syringe? Some gas drops? Anything else? Thank you both for these VERY helpful replies! :)

Last edited:
Your welcome!
The bowl I use twists onto a clamp that is attached to the carrier door. The bowl can't go anywhere, but the water can! But since I have the folded towel on that end, even if it spills, it just dampens the towel on that end.

Depending on the weather, you'll want to be sure bunnies stay comfortably cool. Being in the southwest, we had to be extra careful when traveling. During (our) potty breaks, we might be able to turn the car's A/C off if we found a shady spot and opened the car up. Someone would have to 'stand guard' while we took turns using the facilities. We also were sure to plan NOT to stop for any in-restaurant meals on the way. We didn't want to leave the bunnies in a closed car.

I would take a syringe, gas drops, critical care (if you have it, otherwise any vet can probably supply you with some if needed), maybe styptic powder (not sure how long you're going to be away so not sure if you'll be needing to clip his nails). Also a type of cream that for the life of me I cannot remember the name of, that can be applied to wounds etc and is bunny safe.

I think that's the one. But it has to be the plain kind? Without painkillers or something I think?

Last edited:
I will defined lay make sure that he stays cool. I plan to take some ice packs with me as the house does not have AC. I would meet think of leaving him alone in a hot car either.

Those items sound good for a simple kit. I will put one together today or some other time before the trip. It's always better to be safe than sorry especially away from home. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Back