Glands under chin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cora Jones

Reaction score
So I am a bunny owner that freaks out over everything and I felt like I needed to ask about this. I am wondering if all rabbits have a few glands under their chin? I know about their scent gland but what I am talking about feels like human lymph nodes but a rabbit version. I have felt one before and thought nothing of it but yesterday I gave him an all over check up and felt under his chin really well and noticed them again so I wanted to ask if other rabbits have them? They are really small and move around like lymph nodes. I feel two mainly and they are placed in the same spot, just opposite of each other. As in one is on the right side of his jaw bone and the other on the left side of his jaw bone in the exact same spot. There seems to be a couple in between those two as well, making a line almost. They are a roundish shape if that helps at all. I only have one friend with a rabbit and she said she would see if her rabbits have them but she never got back to me about it. He was just at the vet a week ago for a check up and they said he was healthy so I would rather not take him back so soon since I feel like I am most likely just worrying over nothing. He acts completely normal also.

Hi, I don't know about your rabbit but I know they have scent glands under their chin that's why they are chinning everything when become hormonal they are leaving their scent there.

Hopefully your rabbit is fine if you can feel two symmetrical glands I had a rabbit once long time ago and he had something under his chin but it wasn't something normal it was like a swollen gland on his left side I think we just noticed it too late we were going to take him to a vet next day but found him dead in the morning. We just buried him without any tests so I don't know what happened to him probably an abscess we were truly shocked he was acting like normal all the time I don't know what happened to him.

He chins stuff a lot. He has not been spayed yet but I do plan on getting him spayed soon. I will get them to check it out when I get his nails clipped in a couple weeks. I just wonder if I should take him again sooner or keep an eye on it and take him sooner if it feels bigger. I know some people may say to take them anytime you think something is wrong but if I did that then I would be going once a week or more because I worry so much about everything. The fact there are two symmetrical ones does make me feel a bit better. I just wish I knew what they were for sure. Thank you for the reply. :)

I am pretty sure he's fine since they are same size and placed symmetrically there's nothing to worry about :)
What age is him and what breed?

He is around 2 and a half years old and he is a lionhead. Thank you so much for your reply, especially this quickly. I have been freaking out over it. I will still keep an eye on them but you have really helped me calm down and I appreciate it a ton.

Since you were just at the vets, maybe phone or email them this question. When checking my rabbits, I don't feel anything under my rabbits chins except their jawbone, skin, and fur. I would be concerned that the lumps you are feeling could be possible jaw abscesses.

I am going to call my vet in the morning when they open to see what he thinks. I have to take him to get his nails clipped again not this coming up week but the one after and I am going to get them to check them out then either way. What's weird to me is that I could have swore that there were more than those two that formed a line when I felt him yesterday but today the ones in between the other two that I mentioned are not there and the other two feel even smaller than yesterday. If I would have felt them today and not yesterday then I don't think I would have ever noticed them. I am still going to call the vet when they open in the morning but does anyone know what they could be? They are in the same spot on both sides. They rest just outside of his jawline about midway between the corner of his jaw and his chin. I can move them around with my fingers and they feel smaller than yesterday so that is what is throwing me off even more.

Sorry for the double post but if it is an abscess or something else that may require surgery to remove, how risky are surgeries for rabbits? Whatever these little bumps are, are not connected to the bone because they move around but they are still under his chin so I wasn't sure how risky it is to remove something there? Is abscess removal through surgery usually successful? I have seen forum posts of bunnies making it through surgery from removing an abcess so that makes me feel a bit better. He is really young and active so I figure that's a good thing if he does need surgery.

Bernard (French Lop) was constantly chinning things with rough edges. This led to abscesses in his saliva glands. One was removed along with the abscess. This was nearly 3 years ago and he hasn’t had any further problems.

Lumps sound very similar to yours, they moved around and were away from his jaw.

How do they diagnose if they are abscesses or something else? Also, I am going to take him to the vet asap but I don't think I will be able to take him until at least Monday. I work night shift so I usally sleep until the afternoon so I would have taken him today if I planned sooner and then on Saturdays they close at 12pm and are usually extremely busy that day and they are closed on Sunday. Also I wouldn't have enough money for xrays until around Thursday but if it could be super serious I might could borrow money from someone to take him earlier. Do you think he will be okay until Monday at least? How much did it cost you to get a diagnosis and remove the gland and abcess?

They did a test on the lump after they took it out. It was over a week between me discovering the lump and vet appointment as it was over a holiday period. It was then another week at least before the operation. The biggest concern was whether he would eat afterwards. But I took his favourite greens, pellets and his food and water bowl and he was eating straight away. The whole thing from first appointment- operation- medication-check up was £400.

Thank you so much for the reply. I just hope I get good news at the vet when I take him. I am not sure what the good news could even be though. :(

Maybe check the area again to see if it's diminished in size at all. If the other ones you felt disappeared, maybe there was just some sort of inflammation going on and the others will go away as well. Though if they are still palpable come your appointment, then it's definitely something the vet should investigate.

It seems like they are smaller for sure compared to when I first felt them. So much so that it's hard to tell if some of them are still there or not. I called the vet and they told me I can make an appointment to get that needle thing done to see if it's an abscess just for piece of mind but they think it sounds like I could watch them and bring him in if they get bigger. I personally would rather go ahead and see what they are even if they don't get bigger so I am going to take him on Friday. That way I have enough money for any tests they can do. Unless they go away the rest of the way which would be great. I really hope they aren't abscesses because he isn't the best with handling so it would be so hard to give him antibiotics and clean the area after the surgery. I feel like it's doable but it would be difficult. Wish me luck. Thank you so much for the help already. <3

How is your rabbit did you go to the vets?
I've examined three of four of my rabbits and I can't feel any 'glands' under their chins, the fourth my rabbit I didn't examine because I am afraid of her.

Hi,

Just thought I'd leave a quick message on here about my 4yr old bunny is going to the vet hospital tomorrow for xrays and scans, he has a abscess just under his jaw line. Pea sized which you can move about. Definitely worth checking with the vet. They are going to try and remove his tomorrow so hopefully everything goes ok for him. They told me any lumps and bumps anywhere are worth checking out just to be on the safe side.

I am taking him this Friday to get a needle aspiration done to see if it's an abscess/abscesses and if they are I am going to schedule a surgery for him to get them removed. Sophieg, did they find the cause for your rabbit's abscess? I am worried that if my rabbit does have them that they will just come back after surgery and he will have to have another surgery. :( does anyone know of any abscess stories where their rabbit's abscess didn't come back if they didn't find a specific cause? I hope everything goes well for you and your bun Sophieg. Sending good vibes your way.

Back