Glands under chin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often jaw abscesses will be linked to dental problems. So your vet should also be investigating that possibility. Which means head xrays would likely need to be taken as well if the vet finds it is an abscess. Some instances though, it won't be dental related and could be from a scent gland getting infected or a maybe a wound.

This link explains facial abscesses in rabbits and their treatment.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm (contains medical photos)

They put a needle in it on Friday and confirmed it was an abscess, the xrays and scans ect hes having tomorrow is to see what's causing it and if theres a chance it will return. I've read lots about possible teeth problems that can cause abscesses so hopefully we can get that sorted if that's what's causing it! Thanks so much!! Hoping everything runs smoothly, poor little bunny! I will update you when he's home tomorrow!

Thank you guys for your replies. <3 it seems like abscesses are so stressful. :( If he does need surgery I am mainly worried about after care. I feel like giving him antibiotic would be so hard. As well as cleaning the surgery site. I guess it's a plus that he wouldn't be able to lick or chew his stitches because of the location but cleaning it seems hard.

I am really happy for Bernard and that gives me hope for sure. <3 how did they find out it was from his salivary gland? Was it from xrays?

So I took him to the vet today and they told me that he was pretty confident that his bumps were swollen lymph nodes because they are located exactly where a series of lymph nodes are but I told him I still wanted a needle aspiration done anyway so he did one. He said what came out was normal lymph node cells so I am glad they aren't abscesses. I am just worried now why he has swollen lymph nodes. The vet told me that they can swell due to allergies but he checked him over everywhere and said he is healthy otherwise. He told me that they should get smaller on their own but if they don't or they get bigger to bring him back. I am happy they aren't abscesses or tumors but kinda worried that his lymph nodes are swollen. I guess I will keep a close eye on them. They were for sure bigger when I first felt them compared to now and he said he is super confident that they are okay. He has never steered me wrong before and even did surgery on my hamster so I am going to try and trust him. I just worry a lot. :/

Hi! So I am not sure if it's okay to continue talking on this thread or not but I figured it would be easiest and show the most past information if I did it this way. The swollen lymph nodes that my rabbit has are still there. Some of them have gotten so small that I can barely tell they are there and I have to really search them. However there are a couple of them that are the same size. He is acting completely fine and he seems really healthy and happy still. I am just wondering when do you guys think I should get additional tests done and if they would even help tell why his lymph nodes are like that? It has been three months and they are still there, none of them have gotten bigger. Some of them have gotten smaller. He had that needless aspiration done and the lymph nodes aren't infected and there were no cancerous cells. The only tests I can think of to get done would be an x-ray. Do you guys think I should get one done or just wait it out and see if they will go away? If they get bigger the vet said he will remove one and test it to see what's going on but they have been fine. So I am just wondering what you guys think?

You couldn't edit because too much time had passed ;)

I don't have any experience with this particular issue, but if it were me I would start with a follow-up phone call to your vet, especially since you trust him to be rabbit-savvy. Let him know that some have gotten smaller but some are the same size and ask his recommendation on when/whether to follow up with more testing. With none of them getting bigger and your rabbit acting happy and healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned and would be inclined to stick with a "wait and see" approach... but, that said, your vet will have better advice than any of us regarding a time-line for following up on the swollen nodes.

Thank you so much for the reply. <3 He despises car rides so I am happy that someone else thinks it would be okay to wait and see. I have to take him to the vet either way in a couple weeks to get his nails clipped and I will get my vet to feel them and give him a good overall checkup. I will ask him if we should do any other tests since he will already be there. Any time I take him to the vet he is always so scared in the car and then he will hide in his tunnel for quite a few hours before he eats anything and for some reason that always worries me. I have asked some friends who have rabbits and they also said to wait and see or get the tests done when I take him to get his nails clipped so it makes me feel better knowing multiple people think the same. :)

Latest posts

Back