Gizmo goes on Monday for his "boy bunny operation"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariel

Reaction score

Well here we are, Gizmo is going in Monday for his little op so we have no bubby bunnies. I am very nervous about him going in. I will take in some hay and water(with vanilla of course) and pellets from home so he can have something he is used to when he wakes up if he feels like it.

I am a little concerend that when I made his appointment today the lady on the phone said to fast him. Majority of things I have read say not to fast a bunny before surgery. I am somewhat confused, I don't want to do the wrong thing by Gizzie. Poor bugger is going to have hard enough time without me buggering things up. I am thinking I will call in the morning and ask again aboutit and see what they say.

What do you guys think? I am so worried about him, I don't want to lose another bunny. I know this will be good for him in the long run, he can come back to playing with Bindy and Amber and hopefully live a happy full life, I am just so scared. I know he has to stay separate for upto 14 days after surgery.

:wave: ariel,

Your instincts are right on the money. It should definitely send up redflags when they told you to fast him. Not good advice at all. Rabbit'ssystems have to keep on moving. I'd be very very guarded about takinghim to any hospital that says to fast their bunny. I'd considercancelling the appointment with them and finding another hospital ifyou're not totally set with this one.

When he does go in for his operation - whoever or whenever it is done,I'd bring in a shirt or something with your smell on it. It willreassure him that you are there and you'll come back.

That's my advice on the matter. Take what you like and leave the rest. Will definitely be praying for our little boy.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Thanks Pam and Carolyn, I am going tobe calling the surgery again in the morning to ask about the fastingthing, I will speak to the vet though.

We trust him, and he was fantastic with Ebony and Teah (our daughtersRatties), and he was the vet who I took the bunny to that I found onthe nature strip all wet and battered. He was great with him and helpedhim so much. It's just what this lady said that had and still has methinking.

When we took Teah to be put down because we thought she had enough Itook her in to him in a box lying on a T Shirt, he took her away andthen came back and handed her back to me, he was so lovely to her whenhe first spoke to her that day and he was gentle, when I got back tothe car I opened the box ( why I dunno) anyway inside he had wrappedTeah up ever so neatly in a package with the T Shirt she came in, heseemed to care so much for her that he had her bundled up neatly andall folded in rather than just put back in the box. That just melted meknowing that he cared enough to wrap her rather than putting herstraight back in the box.

Anyway Thankyou again and Thankyou Pam for the link, I have the HouseRabbit Society link in my favs, and Carolyn Thanks for your prayers, Isuddenly know how Lissa felt with her bubbies goingin.:thanks:

Hopefully it was just the lady on the phone, butthat is a HUGE red flag. Mention it to the vet, he really needs to lether know that she was giving out potentially life threateninginformation.

As far as the procedure, I've had my boys done with no problems. Not tosay I wasn't a nervous wreck the whole day they were in, because I was.When I got them home, I had them in lock down mode, when all theywanted to do was run around and play.

It could just be the receptionist not knowing.When I was in our vet's waiting room one time, a new receptionist tooka call from someone wanting their bunny neutered and she told him tonot feed the rabbit. A more experienced receptionist immediatelycorrected her.

Try not to worry too much (I know, easier said than done). Males tendto have a much better time of it than females, and I am sure he will beback to his usual self in no time. Let us know when he is going in.

Jan

Ariel, please keep us posted on this.I am considering taking in my boy to have the surgery done, and I amvery nervous. I would appreciate you telling me yourexperience throughout the whole thing. You will be in mythought, mate! :)

It's okay to fast for an hour or so beforesurgery, but more than that is bad. We need to keep thosepoops coming!:D My vet intructed me to let them eat until Ibrought them in. Then they hold the bunny for a while and lethim digest before all the real poking and prodding begins. Itgives enough time to make sure the bunny doesn't have any food in histhroat.

You could also ask your vet about using a heat pack or heating pad acouple times a day during the first few days. Fey seems tolike it when I put the heating pad under the floor of hercage. The warmth makes the blood vessels open more whichhelps in healing.

Good luck and quick healing, Gizmo!

Just got off the phone from the vet,they said we can feed Gizzie sunday night and monday but to fast himearly monday morning before we bring him in, so about an hour or sobefore he goes in no food for him.

Now I feel a little more relaxed after hearing that.

I just got to get over the whole "poor bugger" feelings.

Just got to think well hopefully won't be too long after that he can goplay with Bindy and Amber again. Which he has tried doing through thecondo walls, they quite often lay next to each other with the wallbetween them and they sniff and chat through there too, it's actuallyquite a nice thing to see, hard because they can't be together but nicethat they still want to be;)

awww Gizmo will be just fine and I am sure hewill be very happy to go back and be able to play with the girls! Inthe meantime, I will keep you both in my prayers!

When Vicky got her spay, I bought some carefresh bedding that I used aslitter for her until her wound looked pretty closed up. I am sure thatwould work well for neuters too.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
First thing tomorrow Gizzie goes in for his operation.
I will be taking some of his pellets and water with vanilla and hisusual dishes for him to eat and drink out of.(Thought it might help ifhe has some creature comforts of home)

I am nervous as all heck, don't get me wrong Jim (our vet ) is verylovely and great but I am still scared. I just hop Gizzie comes out okand gets through everything, he is a small bunny and well I can't evenimagine losing another bunny.

I have taken away Gizzies pellets and left him with hay and water, he has eaten so he should be ok.

I am going to try and get some sleep, so I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

The Giz Mon will be okay. :)

There's great success with these operations now.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and Gizmo. Update us as soon as you hear anything.

-Carolyn

Just got off the phone from thevet, they said we can feed Gizzie sunday night and monday but to fasthim early monday morning before we bring him in, so about an hour or sobefore he goes in no food for him.
That's basically what my vet told me as well (my bunny Scooby is goingin to 'be done' this Tuesday). As I was getting ready to leave aftersetting the appointment, the receptionist did tell me to fast him theday before the surgery, so I told her that bunnies shouldn't be fasted(btw, I would never have known that if not for this forum). Andactually, my vet didn't tell me not to fast him...I asked him about itwhile I was discussing the operation. That's when he agreed, statingthat while dogs and cats do need it, rabbits are handled differently.

I'll be thinking of Gizmo on Monday, ariel...I understand just whatyou're going through. Big hugs for your little guy coming from my ganghere!

Thanks Carolyn, Bassetluv and Jan,

The day is here and I am very nervous!! Yes it'll probably be me whoworries all day not him LOL ( I tossed and turned all night, feel likeI haven't slept)

I just don't want him to be in pain too much so I will talk to our vetabout pain relief for Gizmo afterwards. It's about an hour till we go,so I am going in to the bunny room to check on him, then have a showerand gather up some things for Gizzie to take with him.

Talk to you all late and Thankyou for your wishes and thoughts.

It will be good when all 3 can play together again, they don't reallylike being seperated, they lay next to each other through the condowalls a lot.

Anyway, off to get ready!
Thankyou to all of you here, without this forum there would be so many things I wouldn't know! Thanks guys!!
;)

:pray: :pray: :pray:

You both will be in my thoughts and prayers today. Gizmo will be okay.He's in good health and you trust your vet. Bring something with yourscent on it for him.

Many males do okay with the pain. If you can hold off on the pain medsafter the anesthesia wears off, I would. Just see how he's doing. Painmeds can prolong recovery with the side effects.

Hang tight. It's going to hurt you more than it hurts him.

-Carolyn

ariel,

gizmo will be ok,im sure of it.but i know what it is like to worry,ihave had my 3 boys desexed and they did just fine,no pain meds after imnot even sure if vets give pain meds after being desexed.but i didworry the whole time,the vet said they would call when everything wasok,but i always called first i just couldnt wait any longer,and it wasalways a reliefe when they said everything went ok.

but each time i took a bun in to get desexed,i was always a nervouswreck and they could see it on my face,they must have thought i was acomplete nut because each time i went in there,i was nervous and eachtime they told me not to worry and that everything will be ok.

gizmo will pull through just fine,i will be thinking about the little guy today:)

Just got off the phone with the Jim(ourvet) and he said Gizzie is fine, he can come home when I am ready, allwent well, he's a little groggy but he will be ok!!!

****insert HUGE RELIEF face here*****

I am just getting ready Bindys old house (one level) so Gizzie canrecover in there for a few days, I don't want him jumping up and aroundlike he would in the condo, he has 4 stitches. So into the one levelhouse for a bit.
Oh I am so relieved he is ok. I was so worried about him, he was shakyafter the car ride, so it'll be good to have him back home.

Jim said if he is back in his familiar place again it'll help to get him back to normal quickly.
So I am now off to go get Gizmo and bring him home!!!:jumpforjoy::jumpforjoy:

:yes:

Drive carefully!
:dragster:

I can't wait 'til he's Home.

:waiting:

-Carolyn

Back