Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesterrose

Reaction score
Hello :)

About 6 months ago I unfortunately had terrible experience with GI Stasis, at the time I was a very new rabbit owner and wasn't aware of the risks and my vet at the time was pretty useless when it came to diagnosing so I very sadly lost my little girl!

Since this I have been very observant for any changes with my current rabbits and want to avoid it happening at any cost, I have seen that a few places sell digestive support supplements.

Does any one know it they would be worth my giving to my rabbits as a precaution?
Also any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Many thanks :)

We purchase Oxbow Natural Science Digestive Support tabs for our crew. I question whether they are effective enough to stop an early GI stasis episode when fur ingestion or something else triggered a cecal bloat or blockage?

I'll run this by our DVM next time I visit.

I am so sad to hear your girl died from a GI stasis episode. Dana Krempels PhD authored an article on GastroIntestinal Stasis, The Silent Killer. Being observant for changes is the best precaution! Also avoid gassy-causing produce.

- I hope you never have to lose somebun again due to blockage or stasis.

We just went thru a $1000 expense involving daily vet trips for subQ fluids, pain meds, radiographs to help our heavy-shedder NZW pull thru. On one trip to vet clinic since her episode started, the CVT administering 150-200 ml subQs for our 7 lb. girl mentioned that novice owners lack the knowledge to see early signs. The DVMs often are unable to help their patients when it's "too Late." I am also sad that your DVM wasn't knowledgeable to diagnose or treat.

Pain meds and subQs to disperse a suspected blockage were the best "weapons", per our DVM. Critical care given daily when she wouldn't touch any normal food.

The digestive tabs are offered but until our DVM can comment, I doubt they'll prevent an episode if fur ingestion, etc., caused stasis.

Thank you for your reply!

Those are the supplements I've been seeing quite a lot so I will order some soon and start my buns on them! it would be great if you could let me know what your vet says :)

Unfortunately your vet is right that some novice owners are unaware of what signs fo look for, i was one of those people, I don't think there is enough information given about what signs to look for. I didn't even know it was a thing until afterwards and my vet at the time gave no real explanation as to why it happened, so everything I know now is learnt online but I'm so glad I know what to look for now. It's a horrible thing to go through!

Back