GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best "prevention" is to keep your rabbit ingood health and avoid stress factors. Unfortunately, there isno way to prevent the viral infections that are believed to contributeto GI stasis anymore than we can prevent humans from contracting thecommon cold. The problem is more prevalent in the spring/fallmonths during extreme weather changes.

Pam

UPDATE: Today was really the day when Tucker's poops didn't fallthrough the pooper scooper strainer. It wasn't even until tonight.

I noticed trouble last Monday. I had been told it takes patience, andI've been on the edge of my seat about him having a relapse for 3 days.

He even beat feet up to me and stopped abruptly in front of me to get some love.

:)

Moral of the story: It takes a long time a couple ofweeksfor that virus to move out of their systems.

-Carolyn

I'm bringing this back for BlossomBunny.

-Carolyn

*Bump* for Rowan.

I see what you mean about finding page 10 on this, Raspberry. It's veryodd because I went to my topics and it wasn't in the list. Hmmm...Willhave to question the webmaster on that.

Very Strange.

Thanks for finding it.

-Carolyn

Tetracycline: I giveapinch with canned pumpkin or NutriCal (An antiobiotic usuallyfound in feed stores).

NutriCal: 1/2 to aninch every 4 hours (Bevgave you the equivalent to this in the UK, and others have explainedit.) In addition to it having laxatone in it, it will helpboost their immune system, provides them with the nutrients andvitamins necessary when they go off their feed.) With arabbit the size of a lionhead, I'd only give 1/2 inch.

Papaya Tablets: 1 per day - sugarless tablets. A meat tenderizer will help too.

Fresh Pineapple: A small syringeful every 4hours. The enzymes supposedly help break down the mucus thatholds the fur together.

Simethicone: The little dropper full - in the tinycontainer - maybe 1/2 tsp. Exact dosing isn'tcritical. (This is an infant gas medication that can bepurchased in the USA in pharmacies. You'll see "Simethicone"in the ingredients.)

Canned Pumpkin: every 4 hours as much as she'll take. A great source of high fiber and low sugar.

Pedialyte or Gatorade: Helps to restoreelectrolytes lost when going through Stasis.Alittle bit every hour in severe cases or stools are verysmall and dark.

Hay: As stated, it will help scrape the intestines clean.

Carolyn wrote:
Tetracycline:? I give?a pinch with canned pumpkin or NutriCal? (An antiobiotic usually found in feed stores).

NutriCal: 1/2 to an?inch every 4 hours? (Bev gave you theequivalent to this in the UK, and others have explained it.)? Inaddition to it having laxatone in it, it will help boost their immunesystem, provides them with the nutrients and vitamins necessary whenthey go off their feed.)? With a rabbit the size of a lionhead, I'donly give 1/2 inch.

Papaya Tablets: 1 per day - sugarless tablets.? A meat tenderizer will help too.

Fresh Pineapple:? A small syringeful every 4 hours.? The enzymessupposedly help break down the mucus that holds the fur together.

Simethicone:? The little dropper full - in the tiny container -maybe 1/2 tsp.? Exact dosing isn't critical.? (This is an infant gasmedication that can be purchased in the USA in pharmacies.? You'll see"Simethicone" in the ingredients.)

Canned Pumpkin: every 4 hours as much as she'll take.? A great source of high fiber and low sugar.?

Pedialyte or Gatorade:?? Helps to restore electrolytes lost whengoing through Stasis.? A?little bit every hour in severe cases orstools are very small and dark.

Hay:? As stated, it will help scrape the intestines clean.

:bunnydance: for doodle.

Back