GI Stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KryGoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I think my bun had/had a case of GI stasis and I’m trying to figure out if she is coming out of it. I noticed that she wasn’t eating or drinking the night before last when she didn’t run to her nightly lettuce as usual. I did get her to eat a few bites so I went to bed since she had been her normal active self all day. Yesterday she still wasn’t eating or drinking so I went and got some gas drops. Before giving them to her I noticed no belly sounds at all. Now I have given her 3 doses as well as some water and pineapple juice through a syringe. Last night she ate some more lettuce and drank some water on her own. She did have some soft poop yesterday. Also, she was eating her cecotropes through this but I noticed some in the box this morning. Anyways, this morning after her dose of gas drops and belly massage, I can hear her belly noises again. They are quite loud but don’t sound like popping, more like loud gurgling. Is this a good sign?
Her vet is not able to see her until 3/27 so I am trying to decide if I need to find one that can see her sooner. She seems to be slowly going back to normal but still isn’t eating or drinking much. She seems comfortable in the sense that she is laying flopped out right now and not hunched up as she was yesterday.

I'm no expert, and it sounds like you should continue the search for a rabbit-savvy vet who can see her as soon as possible, but it seems like she's on the mend. My boy Lucas seems pretty prone to GI issues, so I keep a close eye on him. When he comes out of it (normally with help from dad) it's like a switch; pooping and eating full blast when before there was nothing! Sounds like your bun's gut is still extremely slow, so she may not be out of the woods yet, and I would be worried about dehydration as well. Again, I'm no expert, so don't take this as vet advice.

Keep us updated on your little one!

Skip pineapple juice -- it can make things worse. Push hay. Try to get her to eat hay by refreshing it often. How are her poos? Size? Quantity?

Oftentimes the gas drops are enough to get everything moving again-- especially when given at the first signs. Hopefully she is on the mend.

In the meantime, I'd definitely be looking for a new vet. This one clearly cannot be rabbit savvy if he/she thinks a rabbit can wait 10 days with a GI issue.

Yeah I really like the vet but she blamed covid...stating they are directing all emergency appointments to the animal hospital ($500 base visit fee). She seems to be doing ok. She hasn’t wanted to eat any hay but did scarf down some cilantro with no problems this evening. She has been pretty lethargic but I ran and errand and when I came back she ran to me and demanded some snuggles like her normal sassy self. She hasn’t been pooping much today except for cecotropes. I did see her eating some and some were in the box. I called another rabbit vet and they said that she seems to be showing signs of improvement. Which she does but also isn’t fully back to normal...

Thinking of your girl and hope that she improves by the hours. Glad you were paying careful attention. Lots of hay, even a pinch of alfalfa hay if that jumpstarts her digestive tract function. No gassy foods.

- GI stasis can turn deadly fast if ignored. We've been on that scary road several times, with one bun requiring a euthanization due to GI obstruction. She chewed non-digestible material or duct tape that held down indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Hoping her appetite, behavior, and marbles are becoming normal. Lots of wet greens, cilantro strands, and Hay for plentiful marbles. Bun hugs,

Thinking of your girl and hope that she improves by the hours. Glad you were paying careful attention. Lots of hay, even a pinch of alfalfa hay if that jumpstarts her digestive tract function. No gassy foods.

- GI stasis can turn deadly fast if ignored. We've been on that scary road several times, with one bun requiring a euthanization due to GI obstruction. She chewed non-digestible material or duct tape that held down indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Hoping her appetite, behavior, and marbles are becoming normal. Lots of wet greens, cilantro strands, and Hay for plentiful marbles. Bun hugs,
Thank you! She is getting more and more back to normal!

I'm sorry, but what medical field would request vets to handle covid cases? Yeah. Definitely stick with another opinion.
Well the vet isn’t handling COVID cases but they are still trying to see as few buns as possible due to covid restrictions....but our numbers are really low so I don’t get it.

Hey everyone! Thanks for your kind words! Reese’s (I don’t think I mentioned her name before) is almost completely back to normal. Today she is running around off and on, and flopping. Her poop (kind of small poops still but increasing in size each time she goes) and urine have resumed, and she’s been eating hay and drinking more water!

Latest posts

Back