gi stasis questions for quality of life pls help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazlazor

Reaction score
hello,
my barely 2 year old rabbit has gi stasis, he was in the emergency room 3 days ago.. he was diagnosed with gi stasis and given 3 medicine (pain killer 1x a day, cisapride 3x a day metacam 2x a day) as well as oxbow critical care multiple times a day
he pooped a little bit by morning about 10-15 pellets, and then pooped some more the next day.. we took him to the vet today and they did an xray and saw a blockage and recommended in patient care but it's over $2400 usd, so we decided we could not afford this and went with them injecting a bunch of fluids into his skin to help him
.however he has not pooped in over a day now but continues to be very active and hyper and eats hay, grass, and leaves(when he goes outside for exercise)

My question is what should we do next? we are continuing the medicine, we don't think he will make it since he has not pooped in over 24 hours, however he continues to drink water and pee just fine... his energy level is still the same and we have been massaging his belly.. should we consider putting him down by monday if there is no poop? what would you recommend? please help

If he's been going outside on the grass for exercise, then it is highly possible that he is pooping while he's out in the grass (and you just aren't seeing it in the dirt).

If he had a full blockage, he would not continue to eat nor would he continue to hop about and be active. The fact that he's eating and active is very, very good.

Since he is still active and still eating, I don't see any reason to put him down. I more suspect that he must be pooping somewhere.

If he's been going outside on the grass for exercise, then it is highly possible that he is pooping while he's out in the grass (and you just aren't seeing it in the dirt).

If he had a full blockage, he would not continue to eat nor would he continue to hop about and be active. The fact that he's eating and active is very, very good.

Since he is still active and still eating, I don't see any reason to put him down. I more suspect that he must be pooping somewhere.

Yes maybe. But today was his first day outside in a long time. He has not pooped in his cage for almost 2 days now. He is eating kind of. Active outside running around. I just think he is getting bloated. I feel bad for him

Yes maybe. But today was his first day outside in a long time. He has not pooped in his cage for almost 2 days now. He is eating kind of. Active outside running around. I just think he is getting bloated. I feel bad for him
It can take a while before you see poop. If he is active and eating, especially hay and grass, it is highly unlikely there is a blockage. Just continue with the medication. Fingers crossed.

Not just medication, what worked well for me were tummy massages (or rocking the whole rabbit on my knee) several times a day for 5-10 minutes, and encouraging them to move.
You'll see if the massage makes him feel better. I also gave them water if they didn't drink by themself, with Simethicone 2x a day. In case of a blockage mineral/paraffin oil was the medication. Offer yummy, safe greens like leaves from roses or apple trees, brambles, narrowleaf plantain, dandelion, etc.., some of those can be even found in winter.
I always have a stack of dried nettles, butterbur, ash leaves and so for such occasions (and as treats).

You can do quite a lot, you don't have to just wait and see how it turns out.

So he pooped 3 balls last night, and this morning there was a couple maybe 10 really really wet ones. Nothing since then. He is outside again eating grass and leaves and hopping around seemingly normal. He only gets about 1-2 hours outside when its really nice.

2 more balls outside, they are full of hair.. so maybe it's a good sign? we will see if he makes it. we are worried about an intestine rupture since hes been eating and nothing comes out

It's a sign that it's moving at least a little, which is good. As long as he is seemingly comfortable, eating, and happy, I would give it time. No reason to jump the gun if he's not showing signs of pain and there's a chance it could work it's way through and he'll be fine.

It's a sign that it's moving at least a little, which is good. As long as he is seemingly comfortable, eating, and happy, I would give it time. No reason to jump the gun if he's not showing signs of pain and there's a chance it could work it's way through and he'll be fine.
what if he gets a rupture? i will reduce the medicine to 2x a day on the cisapride so it doesnt rupture anything

If there's a rupture, you'll know. He'll be in pain. And if it happens, then it's get him to the vet, likely to be humanely pts. But he's pooping so the blockage isn't necessarily complete since something is moving through, so rupture is just a possible risk, not a certainty.

Other option was in patient care and likely surgery, which you mentioned wasn't possible for you. Something to also keep in mind is that this option doesn't carry any guarantees. With changing the medication frequency, that's something you would need to discuss with your vet.

If there's a rupture, you'll know. He'll be in pain. And if it happens, then it's get him to the vet, likely to be humanely pts. But he's pooping so the blockage isn't necessarily complete since something is moving through, so rupture is just a possible risk, not a certainty.

Other option was in patient care and likely surgery, which you mentioned wasn't possible for you. Something to also keep in mind is that this option doesn't carry any guarantees. With changing the medication frequency, that's something you would need to discuss with your vet.
ok good point, we will speak with the vet about the xray on monday when they open up.. they were going to send the xray off for analysis since it showed a blockage of a foreign object..but he pooped today very very wet poop never seen that before and then some normal but hairy ones outside

It really doesn't sound like your bunny has a full blockage, he would be in a lot of pain and would not eat at all. Poop could be abnormal for quite a few days and the medication could be affecting it too. Don't worry about that as long as he is eating well and doesn't show signs of pain. I would just carry on with the medication as per vet instructions and hopefully he will get better soon.

My thoughts and prayers are with him... Sounds like he's trying to rally back. All my best to you too, I can try to imagine what you're going through, I wish you strength and faith in the little guy, he's trying his best. ~hugs to the mama~

update again:
bunny is doing good, he is eating hay and running outside and eating everything outside(grass/leaves/weeds) and is pooping more and more everyday
yesterday he pooped about 40 balls and today he is on his way to poop more than 40.. seems like he is recovering slowly.. just have to be patient it seems. we are still administering medicine and down to force feeding 2x a day.

Awww, I’m so happy for you and your bunny! It sounds like he is making progress!! I hope he makes a full recovery soon!!

Latest posts

Back