GI Stasis Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyHo

Reaction score
New bunny mom to two 6 month-old mini satins (one chocolate, one frost pearl). I got them where they were 7-8 weeks. In that time, both have had instances of GI stasis. I spend lots of time with them each day and noticed right away when they sat in the meatloaf position and refused raisins. Both times I did belly massages, and this last time I gave baby gas drops. Both times, it cleared up in a few hours. I feed timothy and orchard hay, timothy pellets, lots of greens (mostly romaine, greenleaf, red leaf, kale and radish tops). Limited raisins, apple, carrots and bananas.

I have read that GI stasis common and deadly, but HOW common and HOW deadly? Common enough that both of my girls have had it in the first 6 months??? Does this ever clear up on its own? This is making me paranoid.

About how common, well, it is one of the most common problems with rabbits, causes can differ. In my 8 years with 2-6 adult rabbits I had it happen 2 times, no idea what the cause of the first bout 4 years ago was, but Fury recovered after vet treatment, force feeding, massaging and is 8 now. Magda was the second case last spring at age 7, I got her through it but her health was detoriating for some time already and she died a few weeks later, I'm pretty sure she had cancer of some sort.

But there definitly are bunnys that are more prone than others, but it can be a symptom of another thing going on - imho pretty much anything that causes pain or makes eating difficult, like dental problems, parasites, etc. . If it happens more than once I would try to find out if there's an underlaying issue.

Feeding stuff that is a form of medication might help when a bunny shows signs of losing appetite, but as a regular addition I would be worried that they get used to it.

How common? I think it depends mostly on diet... and that differs with individual rabbit.

My first question would be, what do you mean by "Limited raisins, apple, carrots and bananas"? I've had rabbits that could eat plenty of sweets and seemed to have an iron gut. I've had others that would get early signs of GI stress if given a couple raisins too many.

For the more sensitive rabbits, I'd have to be super limiting on any treats. At first signs of that football hunch, they'd get baby gas drops right away. That would clear it up and get them eating again.

Thanks to all for your input! I've had been researching and reading ... and monitoring my treats. By "limited" treats I meant that I only give one kind a day -- a few bites of apple, a little banana, a few raisins. But, over the holidays, I realized that my daughters are treating the buns, too. Much more than I thought. So we are working on that as a possible sensitivity/cause.

And then my frost girl ate a chunk of bathmat (which has been, untouched, in her condo for months!), refused everything and sat all puffed up in the corner. Off to the vet we went. With just a little intervention (hydration and critical care) she started eating and pooping again and all is well.

But all of this has made me think my girls are susceptible to stasis and I really need to simplify their routine. So I am cutting out all treats and increasing access to hay (litter pan, rack, toilet paper rolls).

Back