Getting the word on easter before hand

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
I was wondering what things we could do to get the word out.

I know everyone on here breeder, rescueers, and pet owners.
hates this time of year.

I was wondering if anyone has ever written a letter to operah (sp).

Or there local news station I think we need to handle this on a broad spectrum.
If this is ok to talk about great lets get the word out.
She hate puppy mills she love shelter dogs maybe if we really get the word out.

Or other people.
Lets make a difference this year or even next.

I want to do something this year too.
That would be cool to have it on Oprah! Maybe someone who's good at writing letters and has lots of experience with rescuing unwanted easter bunnies, and shelter stuff could write her a letter and even go on her show to talk about it! That would be insanely cool.

I'm going to post things on Craigslist for my area, and surrounding areas.

Do you think pet shops would put up flyers? Probably not since then they wouldn't get business...but maybe pet shops who don't sell bunnies would. I know someone who owns a petshop and she'd put up a flyer, since they don't sell bunnies, I'm sure.

There's a daily show they have in WA state, called Evening Magazine which is about cool stories, and things like that. I once wrote them about featuring rabbit hopping, but they didn't take it up. Maybe they'd take this up? It's worth a shot.

Emily

I want to see if anyone can write a great letter to her and to the morning show I dont know what else there is.

I know each city is different.
I am going to try to get with my local rabbit rescue and get something going I have been email back and fourth with a few poeple

I am not good at writing so we need someone who is really good.
It should be hand written to her so it gets more attention

Any talk shows or anything that anyone can think of we have a month to make a difference I know where starting late but better late then never.

If one person can make a difference what can 100's do for the world of rabbits.

Even with our local shelters all shelters get rabbits at some point lets make sure they all spay and neuter before they adopted out.

Some on RO we are a family. Right?
Lets make this Easter different.

For the ones in our lives that mean the most to us.

Let hope that one day down the road that we have to really hunt to find a rescue rabbit because there are no more.

I think we should make little flyer of the easter bunny banner boz made and just pass them out in front of petcos and stuff even if it is only five minute one time if you make a difffernce for one rabbit it was all worth it

Great post ;)

I would definitley print out some flyers and hand them out! We could do it like at Wal-Mart too, since they sell bunny supplies there. And there's lots of people there. Where else would be a good place where we wouldn't get in trouble though?

Emily

I am not sure do we have any lawers on the forum that could help us with legal.

If boz give permission and everyone has a printer we could use his flyer.

Any other flryers we could put them up everywhere withoput a name they cant blame anyone. Stop signs places where you would put lost dog signs. Put them..

Lets work together

I am going to hand them out at petco once we get permision

If we could get someone to write letter we could send to everyone

All talk show local and nation and world wide.

If we are really going to do this we need to get orginezed and quick.

We can put them on our myspace. Face book. Any other site that are like that.Email to friends that might just pass it on like one of those cain letters. You know send this to 3 poeople and you will be rich or something like that.

Everyone post on your local craigslist. I put pictiures of storm on myne. And post it every 3 days. Get with your local rabbit rescue get everyone you know who wants to help involved. Go around your neighborshood.

Hopefully we can make a difference this year.

Any ideas please post them

Anyone that is interested post just your name.

And anything you have near you that could use flyers.

I will pm boz and see of we can use his flyer as our base flyer.

Anyone willing to wright for all the new stations post here also. If haley or pipp see this mabye we can get this more then just us on this forum. It worth a shot.

Also i would love to have 2 or 3 differnt letters for new stations.

I have 5 in my area a lone.

I wrote a press release for our rescue:

MAKE MINE CHOCOLATE!

Gainesville Rabbit Rescue ( www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org ) is joining the House Rabbit Society in promoting the 2009 Make Mine Chocolate campaign. Each year, unwanted, former Easter rabbits fill local rabbit rescues and animal shelters. Many of the animal shelters are “kill” facilities, which will euthanize the rabbits when they become overpopulated. The goal of the “Make Mine Chocolate!™” campaign is to break the cycle of acquisition and relinquishment by educating the public about the responsibilities involved in keeping a companion rabbit before a rabbit is brought home. Our goal is to educate the public of the challenges of properly caring for rabbits and to encourage them to purchase chocolate Easter bunnies (or stuffed toy animals) rather than live rabbits.

Rabbits are a familiar symbol of the Easter holiday. In the days leading up to it, they appear on television commercials and packages of candy, and stores are filled with stuffed rabbits. It is no surprise that children beg their parents for a bunny of their own. Ill-prepared to care for these unique creatures, their owners often quickly tire of them. In the months following Easter, local humane societies and rabbit rescues are flooded with rabbits, former Easter gifts whose owners no longer want them. The unlucky ones are dumped outside where predators, cars, illness, and injury virtually guarantee an early death.

Rabbits are very appealing and can make great companion animals, but they take specialized care. Like any domesticated companion animal, they need to be fed a diet appropriate for their digestive tracts, and have to live in a home environment conducive to their social development. Rabbits need a lot of socialization, and can't just be put in a cage with little or no handling if they are expected to become well-adjusted and happy pets. A person willing to adopt a rabbit must be very patient and gentle, and truly ready to make a commitment to satisfy all the needs that basic rabbit care requires.

According to the House Rabbit Society, the ideal “rabbit person” is a quiet, gentle individual who is eager to get to know rabbits on their own terms. Children who want to hold and cuddle a bunny for hours are likely to be disappointed. When adopting a rabbit, families with children should ensure that an adult will be the rabbit’s primary caretaker and can make a long-term commitment to the rabbit’s well being.

As dedicated rabbit owners can confirm, a properly socialized rabbit is well worth the time spent on the animal's upkeep. Rabbits are inquisitive, intelligent, fun-loving creatures who love attention; they will even show their affection by nudging and licking you. Rabbits can learn to get along well with other companion animals and children, and can even respond to their names. And just like cats, a rabbit can be trained to use a litter box! A well cared for house rabbit has a lifespan of ten or more years.
It is just as crucial to spay or neuter your rabbit as it is to sterilize your dog or cat. Aggressive tendencies, or urine-spraying behaviors, will be reduced or eliminated when the rabbit is spayed or neutered. A sterilized rabbit is also less likely to act territorial, and consequently can be easier to approach, especially by other pets or children.
Learn more about the needs of these warm-hearted creatures. Visit the House Rabbit
Society website at www.rabbit.org for a host of bunny facts regarding proper nutrition, veterinary care, spaying and neutering, grooming and play.

This Easter remember: A rabbit is not a toy. If you’re not ready to give him 10 years of your life, you’re not ready to have him as a pet.

Can we use that.

Could you send that to your local stations.

I really want to get some big names some letter real quick. I want to mail them not email the letter would be more important in there eyes I think

Box gave permission to use his banner and I am looking into getting some others off a few websites he gave me

here is the link to his banner

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44315&forum_id=5

To get it not to be burly I had to print it at sixe and then I went to my local copy shop and they helped me get if full size.

Then I just made copys from that i made 100

I made a post on craigslist too, Mrs. PBJ, and have already gotten one positive response. You can put out flyers on any community bulletin board, such as at grocery stores and stuff.

As tony human said the theme seem to be different and it looks like we have alot of help from people not even meaning to.

There where 2 others post on my craigslist about make myne chocalate.

So even if you cant make flyers just posting on craigslist could make a difference. The only thing I ask is if you get rood emals not respond. And if someone has a question about rabbits answer to the best of your abilty and send them here.

And make the post on craigslist complety positive mabye we will also get people to rescue a rabbit instead of buying from BYB. For easter cause some people really will commit

I have put some up at local shopping centers where I went I heard a lady ask about rabbits in petco and handed her one then and gave a few out.

i am adding my local rescue to galveston island humaine society and bunnybuddies.org.

To all flyers. if you make some please add your local rabbit rescue.

We still need some letters if I get permision I would love to send that and have a few people send letters to oprah. the more people that send the better.

My local petshop is suddenly crawling with rabbits...in the speace of a week between last Sunday and yesterday, there are suddenly at least 20 - all shapes and sizes. Not nice.

Wow mabye you can get them to give out information with every rabbit.

If you have the means print out a page of info for every rabbit they have. I guarriteen you will change one persons mind. Or get them to understand there care

I have 5 baby rabbits that I will not let anywhere near a pet store right now. I also had a few people as me about then for their children. It makes me crazy to even think about this time of year.

I am keeping all of my babies....

And every person I hear about trying to get a bunny for Easter....I give them a little speech.

It's just not right!

ah Dia, I'm in the same situation as you right now.
I have 5 beautiful Holland lop bunnies that will soon be old enough to be adopted out - and trust me, my 'mom instinct' is as strong as ever - not one of them is going to be put in a pet store.
I've interviewed 2 women who've previously owned bunnies, and who know what they need for a happy life - I've even told them, if for any reason they have to give up their bunny, I am more than happy to take them back.

I've also posted on Craig's list in my area these 2 articles:

Please read these 2 articles

This Easter, think twice before buying a bunny for a young child:
If you remember just one thing and don't bother to read the article, just remember:

95% of all rabbits bought for Easter will NOT make it to their 1st birthday.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/pr/6mar08.shtml

Reasons Not to Purchase Baby bunnies, chicks or ducks for Easter:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/125656/reasons_not_to_purchase_baby_chicks.html?cat=53

Rabbits make wonderful pets - as long as you can give them the care and attention you would give a dog - Rabbits, well cared for, can live up to 10+yrs., even more -

If you are buying a bunny for your child, YOU, as the adult, will be the one taking care of the rabbit - no young child is capable of making a 10yr.commitment

This post is not aimed at adults or young adults that have experience caring for rabbits.

As the article says....please just buy your young child a stuffed animal, not the real thing.

Still have gotten a few replies on how they 'want a bunny for Easter for my kids'...
Yep, probably going to be getting even more grey hairs...it does one crazy:pssd:

Wow those are great Short and to the point.

See even if we only change one rabbit with this craigslist ad.

Thats one rabbit for every ad will already add up to about 15

Latest posts

Back