getting snipped...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batbunny

Reaction score
Well, I made his vet appt. for next tuesday morning. I trust my vet andknow it'll be okay, but I'm still a bit nervous. Wondering what exactly to expect... Anyone's personal experiences would be greatly appreciated! :)

On another note, we went to the park again today. He was much more cooperative with getting his harness on...for the most part. It came looseand I had to tighten it, which he wasn't thrilled about. AND he was even playing with me, rather than just running off... Dancing around me in circles, so I danced around him (if anyone saw me, i swear i don't want to know what they were thinking!). He's so sweet.I hope he doesn't change after *the operation* (lol)-except for the humping and digging the carpet, I won't be missing that too much...

Congratulations BatBunny,

You're doing the right thing for your little monster. Expect a humble rabbit afterwards.

When he gets home, you'll want to shred newspaper for his litter. He'llbe a bit out of it, and may not have much of an appetite, but offer himhis favorite treats and see if he'll go for it. Try vegetables,parsley, basil, mint, fruit...) He may not want to hop much so justmake sure he can walk into his litter box in case he needs to go. Itmay take a week for him to get back to his 'normal' self, give or takea few days. Keep him warm. Sometimes people have thrown a towel in thedryer and then put it on their bed. Give The BatBun lots of love andTLC. He'll be looking for it and needing it.

More neutering procedures than not are highly successful. Although it'sstill a concern, and we'll be there to support you through it, knowthat it's for his long life and usually always a successful operation.

-Carolyn

Hi, batbunny! :)

Fortunately I didn't have to live through the stress of Sherman'sspay/neuter (never knew which one was appropriate for which sex) as hewas already "fixed" when we adopted him. This I know thoughfrom talking to other bunny owners and reading, you'readding to the quality of his life. You'll behappy that you did for this him when all's said and done. If you have acompetent vet, then he'll be in good hands and everything should workout fine. And a little spoiling when he gets back home afterthe surgery can never hurt. ;)

Good luck to you both. We'll be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Not entirely unheard of to experience someswelling within the first few days home. Keep an eye on itand report same to vet if you see it. He'll probably say notto worry, or bring him in for inspection, as the case may be.

As you're dealing with a convalescing bunny, it might be wise to havean emergency veterinary service telephone number availableand at hand. You may never need it, but if you do, it willsave a lot of fumbling and scrambling around trying to find such aservice.

You are adding years to his life, making him a better pet, less proneto illness, and a happier, and more docile bun. It is thebest decision, if he is not to be bred.

Buck

Batbunny,

I wasn't really around when my boys were fixed. My sister andbro-in-law took them in and I was away for about 4 or 5 days afterthat. According to my sister, they were a bit odd the day after whenthey picked them up from the vet, but within a few days they werepractically back to normal. They didn't have any really agressive orunwanted behaviour before though. As long as you have a good,experienced vet, I don't think there is too much to worry about. Ofcourse there is always the chance, but just think positive. :)

Laura

A few different vets do thesurgery in a few different ways, I can only offer advise on the way ouroffice preforms it. With an incision in each testicle, theydo swell up so they sppear to look intact, and the stitches if they areused and not glue do tend to look a bit tight for the first few days,watch for extraredness, swelling beyound a slight enlargemtof what they were before being done. If preformed in this manner, it isgenerally "sealed" within the first 48 hours, Rabbit's skinseals up amazingly fast, and this one ares even faster;)Should he remove any stitches just check to besure the skin is not opening back up again. his back end needs to staydry untill he is heales as water will soften the scabs and cause themto open up.

Restricting his activity mode for the first few days will keep swellingdown, over activity will increase it. Most boys are eger fora meal after, just make sure he is eating as soon as possiblebut don't be alarmed if his appitied is decreased. The first 2-3 daysafter surgery it's important to keep him warm, and not let him get achill, funny thing with rabbits while they can over heat easy, aftersurgery it's very easy for their temp to drop down and to get too cold.

I hope that helps :D

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!:D

Buck : excuse me if this is a stupid question, butwhat is a "convalescing" bunny? im pretty sure thatmy vet has an emergency number, but ill double check when i getthere.

Gabby : yes-that did help. one of my number onequestions was whether or not he should be kept in his cage or beallowed to run around like normal. and you answered it.

Thanks again, guys!! :)

batbunny wrote:
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!:D

Buck : excuse me if this is a stupid question, butwhat is a "convalescing" bunny? im pretty sure thatmy vet has an emergency number, but ill double check when i getthere.

Gabby : yes-that did help. one of my number onequestions was whether or not he should be kept in his cage or beallowed to run around like normal. and you answered it.

Thanks again, guys!! :)
Main Entry: con·va·lesce
Pronunciation:
"kän-v&-'les
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lesced; -lesc·ing
Etymology: Latin convalescere, from com- +valescere to grow strong, from valEre to be strong, be well—more at
WIELD
Date: 15th century
: to recover health and strength gradually after sickness or weakness

Your very welcome:)

Talk about timing! Tramp just went in today to getneutered. Called the vet this afternoon and she said he is doing great,was even up and hopping a little when I called, but she wants to keephim overnight to make sure he doesn't overdo himself. I'll go pick himup tomorrow before work and of course I'll let you all know how he isdoing as soon as he gets home. Was really worried about him all daythough until I could call and see how things went, so I know how you'llfeel Batbunny! I agree with all the other people here though, I thinkthe neuter is the best decision and as soon as I can know for sure thatPigeon isn't pregnant again (a possibility since she got into his"cage" with him that I built, oops!) I'll be making an appointment forher spay. That one I am definitly more worried about as I know how muchmore invasive spays are over neuters (since I used to work for a vet awhile back), but I think she'll be fine also. Keep us filled in on howyour little one is doing and I'll do the same so you can maybe knowwhat to expect!

Cheryl

heh-thanks buck! yea, this littlebunnys tough-last night he tried to hop into his cage & was offa bit & ended up smashing his face. i felt soo bad, but hedidnt seem to care. bunny o' steel. :p

aww-a big "get well"to your little guy,pigeon&fumper! will do. hes been getting spoiled alot since imade his appt...i know its whats best, but goodness-hes getting histender bits chopped! :shock:hehehe...

Well... Tramp is back home today. He's a littlemiffed at us right now (okay, maybe more than a little) but he's beenpretty quiet since he got home. The vet said he was the perfect littlepatient which frankly amazes me since he was a real bugger to get inthe crate to take him there LOL. Right at the moment he is chilling inhis cage just laying there. Doesn't seem to have all of his appetiteback yet but he's eaten a little (they LOVE the blueberry yogurt chipsI bought them, they just wish I was sucker enough to give them morethan 1 a day LOL). Pretty much he's doing about as I expected or alittle better. I'm sure your little one will do fine also!

Cheryl

Heh, I just gotthrough getting Umbra neutered about a month ago. It wentfairly well. It took him until a day or two later before hewas back to normal eating/drinking. At first all he would eatwas a lot of parsley and some mint. Then he would pick at hishay, and it took a day before he would eat his pellets in large amountsagain. He wanted to race around my room the next morning(what a trooper! Too bad it almost gave me a heartattack...) The only problem that he had was that his eyeswere pretty watery after surgery. The anestesia (oh forgetit... I know I spelled it wrong...) must've bothered his eyes abit. That took a few days to go awaycompletely.

I swear it seemed as if his, erm,'hormonal fun with my hand trying to pet him' had vanished with hisstitches! That was nice. Now I'm just waiting forhim to calm down and stop obsessing over my carpet... (Heh,like that'll happen!)

Good luck with your bun! --Melissa and Umbra

PS. And yay for Tramp!Don't they just look so peaceful when they'relaying?;)

We have an excellent surgical vet with extensiverabbit experience, so we've had a number of successfulrecoveries. I do like to give a little Nutril Cal postsurgery to help keep their strength up and increase appetite.I also like to give some parsley pre-surgery to help hydrate the gutand keep things moving.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and the little guy :)

Pam

thanks guys! :)pamnock,where are youin PA if you dont mind me asking? i dont haveany nutril cal-where can it be bought? i swear, he knows somethings upalready. hes been giving me these looks-i cant explain it, he looksangry/sad & he was biting my toes today. now hes laying on thecouch like "why arent you petting me?" lol.

Batbunny I am sure he can tell some thing is up.

Good luck to all of you and your bun buns!!

Buster will be going in as soon as he is feeling better.

Nutri-Cal tubes can be purchased online from manyrabbit supply houses, or, better veterinarians seem to carry it, aswell. I purchaseNutri-Stat High CalorieFOOD SUPPLEMENT with Omega Acids for Improved Nutrition for dogs andcats[/i] at my local Pet*Smart. It is made by thesame company that "makes" Nutri-Cal, has the exact same ingredients andinstructions, but I believe is less expensive. As near as Ican tell, it is the same product. It comes in asimilar box, but is colored a light orange-yellow, instead ofNutri-Cal's white, and is found in the dog/cat section of Pet*Smart,where the supplements, oils, flea treatments, etc. are kept.

Buck

why thank you, buck! im glad that theycarry it @ petsmart, i dont usually shop there but i checked in with myregular local pet store & they wouldnt be able to get it tillnext wed. i wasnt even thinking about the fact that nutri-cal makesfood, but now i remember-i used to feed it to my rats! thanks forspecifying packaging & whatnot too, i probably wouldve beenlooking forever! one more question- how much should i give him/for howlong? dawn, he totally knows. lol. i was on the phone today & imentioned it & he looked at me ("grr"-look), came over andnipped my big toe!! i cant blame him though-i wouldnt be happy if iwere...well you know. :p

batbunny wrote:
thanks guys! :)pamnock, where areyouin PA if you dont mind me asking? i dont have any nutrilcal-where can it be bought? i swear, he knows somethings up already.hes been giving me these looks-i cant explain it, he looks angry/sad& he was biting my toes today. now hes laying on the couch like"why arent you petting me?" lol.

I buy Nutri Cal from valleyvet.com

As Buck said, Nutri Stat is a similar product -- just marketed under adifferent name. Nutri Cal also comes under a number ofdifferent packages/distributors.

I live near Pymatuning Lake not too far from the OH/PA border and am about 2 1/2 hours from you :)

Yes -- he knows -- they can always tell when something is up.

Pam

Back